Pretender or Contender: Chicago White Sox

Are the White Sox pretenders or contenders?

• Pretenders

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Contenders

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
I'll do these every couple days, and the first team is the Chicago White Sox.

2015 Record: 76-86
2016 Record: 23-12

Team Stats:

ERA: 3.19 (5th)
WHIP: 1.20 (9th)
AVG: .253 (13th)
HR: 33 (18th)
OBP: .329 (10th)
R: 155 (10th)

They have a very good 1-2 punch in Sale and Quintana. They are pretty meh on the offensive side, but have enough offense to go along with a pretty good rotation. They are also in a pretty weak division right now with the Royals and Tigers struggling.

Are the White Sox contenders for the division or will they fall off?

brett05

Reaction score
For now pretenders. But it's very volatile in what could be the best division in baseball when it's all said and done.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They'll win the division. The ChiSox are likely to bolster their lineup with a Jay Bruce or maybe even a Ryan Braun addition around the deadline. Amazing what a team can accomplish without a kid going through puberty as your "clubhouse leader". 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
AE. said:
They'll win the division. The ChiSox are likely to bolster their lineup with a Jay Bruce or maybe even a Ryan Braun addition around the deadline. Amazing what a team can accomplish without a kid going through puberty as your "clubhouse leader". 
Ha, I almost forgot about that.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Easily contenders.  I think they not only win the division, but they get the best record in the AL.

brett05

Reaction score
Thomas-Panda-Saxby said:
Lol pretenders
Way to answer a question a month later.  I bet you can predict last year's super bowl winner too.

Thomas-Panda-Saxby

Reaction score
brett05 said:
Way to answer a question a month later.  I bet you can predict last year's super bowl winner too.
Ooo sorry for sarcasm? Didn't mean to offend you?

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It is crazy how they've fallen though. Guys who were hot the first month and a half like Lawrie and Melky have gone ice cold. Their pitching has cooled down significantly as well.

brett05

Reaction score
It's really not that surprising.  It was a lot of smoke and mirrors.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
It's not even mid-season yet, they'll be fine.
No they won't. The roster lacks depth, the back of their rotation is iffy, and not enough impact players. They are in a weak division so that at least gives them a chance

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
No they won't. The roster lacks depth, the back of their rotation is iffy, and not enough impact players. They are in a weak division so that at least gives them a chance
What makes it weak?  I keep hearing that but no one substantiates that.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
brett05 said:
What makes it weak?  I keep hearing that but no one substantiates that.
Relative to every other division, the Indians would be in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th even

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Relative to every other division, the Indians would be in 2nd, 3rd

part of that is due to the competitiveness of the AL Central.  Just imagine if the AL Central could play in the NL.  Lots of teams to feast upon.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
brett05 said:

part of that is due to the competitiveness of the AL Central.  Just imagine if the AL Central could play in the NL.  Lots of teams to feast upon.
I don't believe that to be the case. What team in the AL Central scares you? You could argue the ALC is better than the NLW and  ALW but that's about it IMO

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
I don't believe that to be the case. What team in the AL Central scares you? You could argue the ALC is better than the NLW and  ALW but that's about it IMO
It's hard to say to be honest.  I can't get scared of like the Cubs/Pirates/Cardinals because of the absolute garbage in the likes of the Reds and Brewers. 

catman

Reaction score
I do not see the Sox having a winning record for the rest of the season, unless they make another move or 2 at the deadline. Their farm system, already pretty thin, is thinner now than it was, so they don't have a lot of chips to trade, unless they want to take on a lot of payroll. They are in a "win-now" mentality, but have too many holes in their lineup to do so. Their outfield is weak, their catching is as well. They don't have a whole lot in their rotation after Sale and Quintana and appear to have missed with the trade for Shields. Their bullpen is OK, but will be over-worked.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
brett05 said:
It's hard to say to be honest.  I can't get scared of like the Cubs/Pirates/Cardinals because of the absolute garbage in the likes of the Reds and Brewers. 
Yeah but as a whole the division is much better, and the Cubs have just decimated Pittsburgh so far this season. As well as the rest of the division for that matter

I mean the Sox are almost at the same level as the Brewers at this point, however in a much better situation due to the division. Sure the Reds suck but still superior to the Twins

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%