Tressel resigns from Ohio State

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ohio State head football coach Jim Tressel has resigned, the Columbus Dispatch has reported, citing university sources.

The Dispatch obtained a memo university president E. Gordon Gee sent to OSU trustees Monday morning:

"I write to let you know that later this morning we will be announcing the resignation of Jim Tressel as head coach of the University's football program. As you all know, I appointed a special committee to analyze and provide advice to me regarding issues attendant to our football program. In consultation with the senior leadership of the University and the senior leadership of the Board, I have been actively reviewing the matter and have accepted Coach Tressel's resignation.

"My public statement will include our common understanding that throughout all we do, we are One University with one set of standards and one overarching mission. The University's enduring public purposes and its tradition of excellence continue to guide our actions," Gee wrote.

Assistant coach Luke Fickell will serve as interim coach all of next season, sources said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/05/30/tressel.resigns/index.html#ixzz1NqJ0fnQc

YAY

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sounds like this SI article is really gonna have some gems in it about OSU.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This was a while in the making, I feel like we all knew it would eventually come to this.

And LOL at Pryor, he was supposed to be the next great thing and what has he done? Headaches and basically made the coach resign.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
SG IS OFF THE BANDWAGON OF OHIO STATE IN 3....2....1.....

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Urban Meyer will eventually be the head coach at OSU.
Pretty much, I think he really wants the job. Him or Jon Gruden. Well, to be honest there are a ton of big time coaches from Ohio who I'm sure would love to be in Columbus. You Michigan fans will still be dominated yearly by the Buckeyes, don't worry.. People can celebrate this, and do whatever but when it's all said and done OSU is the 2nd best job to have in College football, and they will be back in no time.

This has to be heartbreaking for Tressel though. This was his dream job and he had to resign.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This was a while in the making, I feel like we all knew it would eventually come to this.

And LOL at Pryor, he was supposed to be the next great thing and what has he done? Headaches and basically made the coach resign.
Tressel's offense was never a good fit for Pyror.. If he was in a spread offense his numbers would be historical.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ray Small is a piece of shit. I hate Ohio State as much or more than anyone, but the guy is a scumbag. His comments on twitter were pathetic.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. He is just pissed off he was in Tressel's doghouse because he is an idiot and doesn't know how to maintain a decent GPA or stay off drugs.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
All these guys are from Ohio:
Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Bo Pelini, Les Miles (though very unlikely because of Michigan)

Nick Saban went to Kent State and coached at Toledo, Pete Carroll was an assistant at Ohio State (But that would be a PR nightmare to sign him after this Tressel stuff).

Lots to choose from

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pretty much, I think he really wants the job. Him or Jon Gruden. Well, to be honest there are a ton of big time coaches from Ohio who I'm sure would love to be in Columbus. You Michigan fans will still be dominated yearly by the Buckeyes, don't worry.. People can celebrate this, and do whatever but when it's all said and done OSU is the 2nd best job to have in College football, and they will be back in no time.

This has to be heartbreaking for Tressel though. This was his dream job and he had to resign.
No lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
By pure talent alone we'll be able to get by Michigan this year.. Then next year the program will get going again with Urban Meyer most likely. And even under NCAA sanctions, its not that hard of a task to beat Michigan these days.. I don't think Brady Hoke is the savior.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We will be back, don't you worry bout that lol.
Now that the shit ass spread is gone, and we actually have a coaching staff with a brain, we will be back to Michigan football shortly.

It is obviously going to take a couple years though, Hoke needs to get his type of players in still.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
While it sucks it has come to this, Ohio State will live on. They will find a good replacement, I'm not worried about it at all. I'll laugh when they get a good replacement and are even better.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IDK if you are going to find a better replacement. You could argue that Tressel was the best coach in college football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%