Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charlie Blackmon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Truthfully at the plate, outside of homeruns, Jones has been just above league average offensively and below defensively.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Truthfully at the plate, outside of homeruns, Jones has been just above league average offensively and below defensively.
If you want to go off faulty defensive metrics to judge Jones, fine. But he's a four time gold glover and there's absolutely good reason behind it. There are few better in center field.

At the plate, he got off to a slow start. Had some injuries. Since he's moved to the leadoff spot he's been pretty good. He doesn't walk a lot which a lot of people don't like. That will never change.

But anyways, how does that justify taking JBJ, who has yet to prove his success is sustainable?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I'd say offensively the past two seasons he has had success. Last season he had a wRC of 121 and this season of 126. Two years in a row of well above average in that department. Same goes for ISO and OPS. 

Obviously the early batting average was fluky, but also we both know theres more to hitting than your average.

I guess you can still say too small of a sample size, but hes now at over 750 PAs the last two seasons, and we have seen the offensive value that is provided. And even if you want to call the metrics faulty, same could be said about gold gloves. Jones has had two seasons of positive defensive value, so this season isn't just an outlier. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
This is a perfect example of not even watching the guy play and just trusting metrics to tell you the whole story. We all know defensive metrics are sketchy. Adam Jones is a perfect example of that. You can try and discredit that if you want, but the guy is a lights out center fielder with great range and a great arm, and I suggest watching him actually play in order to enjoy.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
But thats the argument that could have been used for Edmonds and Jeter. Everyone loved their style with the diving catches and jump throw, but realistically those were to compensate for poor routes and other fundamental skills.

UZR/150 and DRS destroyed them. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
And I think you should do the same for Jackie, CC. Instead of assuming he's an overrated player the Sox fans overhype, watch his play. He's just as good defensively as Adam Jones. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
And I think you should do the same for Jackie, CC. Instead of assuming he's an overrated player the Sox fans overhype, watch his play. He's just as good defensively as Adam Jones.
I went to college with JBJ and played basketball with him on two ocassions (he's not good but he has a crazy vertical in case you were wondering). So yeah, I'm not assuming he's overrated, and I've seen him play since the day he's stepped into the MLB.

I'm not even the biggest Adam Jones fan. But I'm taking 5 ish years of consistency from him over JBJ who is having his first full good year in the majors. Isn't that the same reason you justified Boegarts over Seager?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
But thats the argument that could have been used for Edmonds and Jeter. Everyone loved their style with the diving catches and jump throw, but realistically those were to compensate for poor routes and other fundamental skills.

UZR/150 and DRS destroyed them.
At least with Jeter, your eyes could also tell you he's not a good defender. Can't speak as much for Edmonds.

Jones is a phenomenal defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%