Kraig Harlow's 2016 NBA Draft

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hello SI community,
Every year I come out of hibernation and post my mock drafts. Last year I scored 3rd on NBADraft.net website which I think is pretty impressive. I have my mock draft adjusted for the first round and the link is below:

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/53300

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Celtics don't need another non-shooting PG.

Unless it's a hypothetical trade to Philly for Okafor or the Laker pick

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
And passing on Valentine for Thon is a huge mistake

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Celtics don't need another non-shooting PG.

Unless it's a hypothetical trade to Philly for Okafor or the Laker pick

I honestly believe Philly is so in love with Dunn they will move Okafor him.
Brad Stevens is in love with Okafor so its a win-win

bosoxlover12 said:
And passing on Valentine for Thon is a huge mistake

Thon Maker is jumping up boards like crazy. Ive seen him play last year and he's KG 2.0 and Lamar Odom at worst if developed correctly. He's an insane talent and Boston has done a great job using the Maine Red Claws (which I've stopped and seen) as a feeder program. Thon is a great gamble at 16 if you think he'll be taken before 23.

bosoxlover12 said:
AThnd passing on Valentine for Thon is a huge mistake

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I agree with that mostly

I think we move for the future pick instead but I'd be fine with Okafor too. philly def likes dunn I believe

AiRuPtHeRe

Must Be Nice
Reaction score
IF the Celtics were to take a point guard, I feel like it would be Buddy Hield. Much better shooter and that's what the Celtics are in need of more. I do see us selecting Thon Maker potentially in this draft (Ainge likes to take gambles)

tyfreak

Members
Reaction score
I'd be happy if the Kings ended up drafting Jaylen Brown. Has the potential to be a really solid two way player.

A lot of Kings fans I've talked with are interested in trading up for Dunn, let him sit a year or two behind Rondo if we bring him back or Collison.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
im not sure how valentine would fit here with the swingmen we already have taking up space, but i wouldnt be upset with that pick.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
KG 2.0 is a lazy comparison for Thon.

Also don't think Denzel falls that far. I think there is atleast some team shocks the league amd takes him well inside the lottery.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
AiRuPtHeRe™ said:
IF the Celtics were to take a point guard, I feel like it would be Buddy Hield. Much better shooter and that's what the Celtics are in need of more. I do see us selecting Thon Maker potentially in this draft (Ainge likes to take gambles)
We could take Hield, but he's definitely not a point guard. 

and no chance to maker at 16. fans like to get the high-upside prospect, but he really isn't at all. he's not that good and is way too raw. maybe with one of the 2nd round picks we have, but thon won't even play for us next year. not worth it

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AiRuPtHeRe said:
I'm a firm believer that the pick will be traded to Philadelphia for Jahlil Okafor. The Sixers are high on him but won't give up an opportunity Ingram or Simmons but taking one of them takes away Okafors touches. It'll benefit them by trading him and with with Noel, Embiid, Saric, Ingram & Dunn.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
KG 2.0 is a lazy comparison for Thon.

Also don't think Denzel falls that far. I think there is atleast some team shocks the league amd takes him well inside the lottery.
I sat courtside watching him play last year and the first player he reminded me of is KG in high school. They're scouting reports are almost identical. I'll give you my honest opinion on Thon Maker, he has the opportunity to be at best Kevin Garnett (a future HoFer) or at worst Jonathan Bender (does that name ring a bell). It's a solid gamble at 16 especially since Detroit hinted at a gamble on him.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
tyfreak said:
I'd be happy if the Kings ended up drafting Jaylen Brown. Has the potential to be a really solid two way player.

A lot of Kings fans I've talked with are interested in trading up for Dunn, let him sit a year or two behind Rondo if we bring him back or Collison.
I've read the Kings will likely go Guard if Dunn is off the board. Dunn could slip due to his knee injuries and medical records. I've heard Dunn, Brown, Valentine, Labrisse all here at 7. The Kings every year have been hard to gage. I could see the Celtics trading down for #7 and Ben McLemore possibly. A lot of big men options here if the C's don't get Okafor from Philly

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
im not sure how valentine would fit here with the swingmen we already have taking up space, but i wouldnt be upset with that pick.
I'll keep it simple, the Kings wanted Draymond Green because his ability to play all over. They don't get a Draymond Greene here but they do get a hometown kid who can do everything on the court. He can step in an dominate the ball when Jackson is out, play the two and stretch the floor but what he really excels at is how he makes angles for himself when scoring and passing which will compliment Drummond and Morris. He's a good fit and a value pick. I can see him from 7-30 in this draft depending on how teams grade him.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
harlowtothe said:
I'll keep it simple, the Kings wanted Draymond Green because his ability to play all over. They don't get a Draymond Greene here but they do get a hometown kid who can do everything on the court. He can step in an dominate the ball when Jackson is out, play the two and stretch the floor but what he really excels at is how he makes angles for himself when scoring and passing which will compliment Drummond and Morris. He's a good fit and a value pick. I can see him from 7-30 in this draft depending on how teams grade him.
i like him for his versatility too and if the two bags go right before us, im fine with this pick.

Stray32

Reaction score
harlowtothe said:
Thon Maker is jumping up boards like crazy. Ive seen him play last year and he's KG 2.0 and Lamar Odom at worst if developed correctly. He's an insane talent and Boston has done a great job using the Maine Red Claws (which I've stopped and seen) as a feeder program. Thon is a great gamble at 16 if you think he'll be taken before 23.
I actually agree with the KG-Odom comps (1000x better than Giannis comps I've seen), the one thing he lacks from both of those guys though is vision/feel for the game/knowing where to be and where/when to move. And to come close to being another KG he has to really ramp up his strength and explosiveness in traffic. He's got great athleticism for a big and shooting upside (not quite there yet) which is why so many internet fans are in love with him. He's definitely a project but I agree he most likely goes in the late teens/early 20s, can see the Celtics taking him (or the Pistons if he gets there).

harlowtothe said:
I'll keep it simple, the Pistons wanted Draymond Green because his ability to play all over. They don't get a Draymond Greene here but they do get a hometown kid who can do everything on the court. He can step in an dominate the ball when Jackson is out, play the two and stretch the floor but what he really excels at is how he makes angles for himself when scoring and passing which will compliment Drummond and Morris. He's a good fit and a value pick. I can see him from 7-30 in this draft depending on how teams grade him.
The Pistons wanted Draymond Green because a playmaking+shooting+defensive PF (which is what he'd have been) is dream-level perfect for the SVG system. You're right they like versatility and that's why they have Morris and Harris, and of the SG-SF variety KCP and Stanley Johnson. And they even have depth behind those guys, the only position group with real depth. Saying this as a Pistons and MSU fan (and someone who studies the draft in depth) I think there's next to no chance the Pistons take Valentine, you can only have so many guys playing the same position on a 15-man roster

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
If thin maker ever puts up KG numbers I'll eat my shirt

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think saying Thon is a poor mans version of a poor mans Kevin Garnett is accurate. It's kind of a disrespect to Kevin Garnett.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
If thin maker ever puts up KG numbers I'll eat my shirt

Best Case: KG
Middle: Lamar Odom
Worst Case: Johnathan Bender

Ill mail you a sweaty shirt if Thon turns up in 2 years. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
His worst case is FAR lower than Bender

He hasn't even played college ball, and his "highlights" are based of his ball handling as a big man. If he can't dribble in the league (which I don't think he will at all) then he won't even make a 13 man roster. He'll have Anthony Bennett-level production. That's his worst case

And his middle is lower than Lamar Odom too. Odom was really solid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%