Lin Signs Houston's Offer Sheet

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jeremy Lin has accepted a three-year offer sheet from the Rockets with a team option for a fourth season. The deal will pay Lin $5 million Year 1, $5.2 million in Year 2 and $9.3 million in Year 3.

The Knicks are expected to match the offer sheet regardless of the amount.

"They will match any offer on Lin up to one billion dollars," said one source to Marc Stein.
people are going to be complaining to the league about these back-loaded deals soon. wtf

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
who would complain?

Let's be real, the 4th year team option "poison pill" is a fucking weak poison pill.

the first 3 years of that deal pay Lin about as much as Landry Fields is getting in Toronto. Not a bad deal at all.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
not every back-loaded deal is going to have a team option...

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think it's fine. If teams manage their cap better they won't have to worry about dealing with poison pills. Not as if Dolan actually cares, he'll pay it.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
yea and i was talking about all of them thus far..

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Does this really have any chance of not being matched?

Daryl...get something done. Now, you fucker.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
yea and i was talking about all of them thus far..
i honestly have no idea where this conversation is going. All I simply said before was that the 4th year poison pill was a team option and it wasn't even that high priced, so it was a weak poison pill. Just simply talking about this deal. Obviously not every backloaded contract is going to be a 4th year team option. not even sure why it was pointed out.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i said people are going to start complaining and you asked why anyone would complain...

have you not noticed how shitty most of these back-loaded deals are? its simply to just steal players.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
but your response was to the 4th year team option comment I made.

Regardless, I don't see why anyone would complain. If a team wants to overpay for players, then let them overpay. It's their fault. For players like Lin, teams have no choice but to overpay on the back because they can't offer more in the first two years.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
no. all i said was not every offer is going to have a team option. that wasnt even my point when i said people will complain. you just started talking about that..

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
i mentioned both things -- the team option, and why people would complain. Then you said not every backloaded deal has an option. Then I said I was only talking about this specific contract in regards to the 4th year team option. Then you said you were talking about all the deals. All i'm trying to point out is:

we got confused as to who was talking about what. so lets just shut up. :spiderdance:

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
no, you got confused. but yea :p

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lol gotta love how this whole topic has been Pugz and GMF talking about what they're actually talking about.

And yeah, I agree with nola; I expected a team to overpay for him, this is not a bad deal if he's able to put up similar numbers to what he had. Otherwise that 3rd year is going to suck.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Linsanity is finally reaching proper New York media levels. Its finding it's way into the dark side of NBA rumors.

Jeremy Lin is set to sign a four-year, $29 million offer sheet with the Rockets on Wednesday, something the Knicks will certainly match. It's never really been a question as to if the Knicks would match any offer, and that was known both privately and publicly.

According to the New York Daily News, Lin was a little annoyed/frustrated/surprised/mad at the Knicks because they didn't come out with a contract offer from the start.

"He was surprised that the Knicks didn't make the first move,'' a league source said. "They know they've got to mend some fences with him because he believes what the Rockets have told him, that the Knicks weren't as interested as they are.''
Obviously, who knows who the "league source" that said that and who knows how upset Lin really was. But contract negotiations aren't always pretty and there surely was a little frustration involved along the way.

Naturally, Lin took to Twitter to deny it.

JLin7 Jeremy Lin
Lol why do u guys believe everything? No quotes from me = probably not true
I'm not sure everyone believed it to start with, but again, that's life in NBA negotiations, especially when you're as visible a player as Lin.

He'll sign his offer sheet, then have the Knicks match and things will be back to normal as he returns to New York's starting five.

Or as normal as things can be for Jeremy Lin.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19563143/jeremy-lin-upset-with-knicks-over-contract-situation

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I am curious how Lin would do outside of New York.

He played good in a relatively short run on a team that made Raymond Felton look like an All-Star caliber point.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
and he got cut from teams before ending up in NY. I got a pretty good idea of how he'd do elsewhere.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he didnt get the chance he did in ny so thats not a fair comment to make lol

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Rockets have reportedly dropped a bombshell, greatly increasing the third-season salary in the offer sheet signed by Jeremy Lin on Friday.

Last week, it was reported that the Rockets and Lin had agreed on an offer sheet totaling approximately $19 million guaranteed over three seasons, with a team option on the fourth and final season.

The deal was increased to $25 million total over three years, with the final season now nearly $15 million. That final season could cost the Knicks as much as $45 million in luxury tax payments. It is unclear if a team option still exists for a fourth season.

Some believe Houston is now desperate for a point guard after Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry left the Rockets this summer. But general manager Daryl Morey could still expect the Knicks to match, and he may be more concerned with driving down Lin's value as a future trade chip in New York's arsenal.

Chris Paul is eligible to hit the free-agent market next summer and a package centered around Lin, under more reasonable contract terms, could have enticed the Clippers to trade the All-Star point guard to New York. Inflating Lin's contract terms will make him less attractive to the cost-conscious Donald Sterling, keeping Paul on the path to free agency and in play for Houston as it seeks to remake its roster.

These maneuverings may set up the Rockets' longer-term strategy of acquiring Dwight Howard and keeping the All-Star center in Houston by pairing him with an elite play-maker like Paul.

The Knicks will have three days to match the deal or lose Lin to Houston. New York clearly intended to match under the offer-sheet terms originally reported.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%