Yankees Agree To Acquire Giancarlo Stanton

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Big Bid'Ness said:
So much sexier with Gleyber Torres at 3B and Andujar at 2B. Hoping both pick up where they left off and shine in ST.

CoachAF

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
It puts their lineup up with the Astros? Their lineup was already up there with the Astros. Hint: its better now

C: Gary Sanchez               >           Brian McCann
1B: Greg Bird                     <           Yuli Gurriel
2B: Ronald Torreyes          <         Jose Altuve
SS: Didi Gregorius             <         Carlos Correa
3B: Chase Headley            <          Alex Bregman
LF: Brett Gardner               <           Marwin Gonzalez
CF: Aaron Hicks                 <         George Springer
RF: Aaron Judge                >         Josh Reddick
DH: Giancarlo Stanton       >           Evan Gattis

So the Astros are better at every position other than the Yankees "Big 3". Every team in the MLB is playing catch up to the Astros right now, including the Yankees. The Astros lead MLB in runs scored last year by 50+ runs. Everyone is playing catch up to them. That's just a fact.

I'm not willing to say that Judge is a 9+ WAR player again this next year. I think his historic first half is unlikely to happen again. Is he bad? Heck no, his September shows that he can make adjustments. He will be a very good hitter. In the regular season he will get his stats, but in the post-season he will not see a fastball and will have to show better control of the strike zone than he did last year. A decline in his production will be off-set by the addition of Stanton now. 

Back to the point of this thread, Stanton is a great addition for the Yankees, I am just not sure if he is what they really needed. They already had plus power as a team. They need more guys who can make contact, get on base, and keep the line moving ahead of those sluggers. How many times in the ALCS did we see a big inning end with a Sanchez/Judge strikeout??? Strikeouts turn a 3 run inning into a 1 run inning. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Coach said:

So the Astros are better at every position other than the Yankees "Big 3". Every team in the MLB is playing catch up to the Astros right now, including the Yankees. The Astros lead MLB in runs scored last year by 50+ runs. Everyone is playing catch up to them. That's just a fact.

I'm not willing to say that Judge is a 9+ WAR player again this next year. I think his historic first half is unlikely to happen again. Is he bad? Heck no, his September shows that he can make adjustments. He will be a very good hitter. In the regular season he will get his stats, but in the post-season he will not see a fastball and will have to show better control of the strike zone than he did last year. A decline in his production will be off-set by the addition of Stanton now. 

Back to the point of this thread, Stanton is a great addition for the Yankees, I am just not sure if he is what they really needed. They already had plus power as a team. They need more guys who can make contact, get on base, and keep the line moving ahead of those sluggers. How many times in the ALCS did we see a big inning end with a Sanchez/Judge strikeout??? Strikeouts turn a 3 run inning into a 1 run inning. 
Bosox esque comparison post

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coach said:

The Astros have an extremely potent lineup but I think you're overrating them a tad. Defending champs, yes, but are they head and shoulders better than the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, or Indians... nope.  The Astros biggest gamble was Verlander and he obviously paid off.  They come back into the season with a so-so bullpen and having to rely on Verlander to be as dominant.  Not saying they can't repeat but the field is a lot closer than you're making it sound.  

CoachAF

Reaction score
AE. said:

The Astros have an extremely potent lineup but I think you're overrating them a tad. Defending champs, yes, but are they head and shoulders better than the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, or Indians... nope.  The Astros biggest gamble was Verlander and he obviously paid off.  They come back into the season with a so-so bullpen and having to rely on Verlander to be as dominant.  Not saying they can't repeat but the field is a lot closer than you're making it sound.  

I am biased, but this Astros offense is much more balanced than the Yankees HR-dependent line-up. There are holes in that Yankees line-up. The Astros bullpen will be addressed this week/off-season. I'd take the Astros rotation over the Yankees all day long (most everybody would too), There's still a lot of dominoes to fall before we even know what the teams will look like in ST. My point was that the rest of the league needs to keep pace with the Astros. Stanton helps the Yankees do that, but he doesn't solve the other problems with their roster. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coach said:

I am biased, but this Astros offense is much more balanced than the Yankees HR-dependent line-up. There are holes in that Yankees line-up. The Astros bullpen will be addressed this week/off-season. I'd take the Astros rotation over the Yankees all day long (most everybody would too), There's still a lot of dominoes to fall before we even know what the teams will look like in ST. My point was that the rest of the league needs to keep pace with the Astros. Stanton helps the Yankees do that, but he doesn't solve the other problems with their roster. 

But you have to consider the Astros are an ineffective Verlander away from being caught up to, easy.  I will agree Stanton's addition to the Yanks lineup is being over-hyped.  I'm happy Cashman figured out how to pull this off w/o giving up much (and remain under the lux tax cap for this season), but I want a starting pitcher.  Yanks won't be able to rely on CC's 2nd wind down the stretch again this season.  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%