Nola's 2016 NBA Mock - V4

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Stray32 said:
I'm not saying I want that duo to lead the league in minutes I'm just saying that remaining 10-16 minutes can and almost certainly will be handled by backups (the three they have now, likely veterans from free agency in the future) not another first-round pick that was the point I was making. I think SVG has enough faith in them not to make a pick that would require cutting a current contributor, while they have bigger needs at other spots (basically every other spot).

As far as Tobias goes you're right that he's there right now but I was saying that as a counter to "that's his more natural position" - I think given an opening at both SVG would play him at SF over PF. And I think the most likely move if a big signing is made at all this year will be a PF like Ryan Anderson which would send Tobias (or perhaps Morris) to the bench as a combo forward and also fill up those remaining 10-16 minutes.

As for KCP I think his defense is good enough now that he's being recognized for it. He got 3 first-team votes for All-Defense, 24 second-team votes. He held Westbrook to 5 for 14 shooting with 11 turnovers, one of many examples of him guarding the opponent's best perimeter scorer all night (whether it's someone like Westbrook or Korver/Redick) and doing a great job. I don't have the greatest knowledge yet of advanced defensive stats like I do for offensive ones (or for baseball) but KCP is 13th among guards (or guard/forwards) in FG% points different with a -1.7% (lower than opponent's normal FG%) with opponents shooting only 42% against him and again that comes while consistently drawing the toughest assignments. Watching him you can tell that he's a tough defender although you were right that pick and roll is currently the weak area; I still think he'll keep getting better though especially since he's only 23. I already conceded that he's not a good enough shooter yet but his mid-range shooting is markedly improved from his rookie year so I feel good about his ability to improve his shooting from deep as well.

You'll have more than 10-16 minutes for another wing more than likely.  I'd be willing to bet the reason KCP and Morris played so many minutes in the first place was because of a lack of quality depth, which makes your argument that they don't need more kind of silly but to each his own.

Your first round pick comment, this isn't the NFL.  You're first round pick, at 18, is pretty invaluable.  18 is where, if you're lucky, you get a rotational bench player that can give you 18-22 minutes a night.  But by relative value of the 18th pick, according to history, you're more likely to get a end of the bench player than a 6th-8th man.  To give exact numbers, according to history, you have about a 32-40% chance of getting a 8th-9th man, and a 20% chance of getting a 6th-8th man.

Stray32

Reaction score
nolafan33 said:

You'll have more than 10-16 minutes for another wing more than likely.  I'd be willing to bet the reason KCP and Morris played so many minutes in the first place was because of a lack of quality depth, which makes your argument that they don't need more kind of silly but to each his own.

Your first round pick comment, this isn't the NFL.  You're first round pick, at 18, is pretty invaluable.  18 is where, if you're lucky, you get a rotational bench player that can give you 18-22 minutes a night.  But by relative value of the 18th pick, according to history, you're more likely to get a end of the bench player than a 6th-8th man.  To give exact numbers, according to history, you have about a 32-40% chance of getting a 8th-9th man, and a 20% chance of getting a 6th-8th man.
Yeah to each his own/agree to disagree on the quality of the Pistons wings players as I'd said earlier. And that's not what I meant by the first round pick comment, I meant they're more likely to use that pick on someone who would be the backup PG or the backup PF/C and roll with current backups or small moves in free agency to fill the wing minutes, than vice versa. As compared to their depth at those positions the Pistons are loaded at SG/SF and all their best players are young themselves. And if it came down to it I'd even expect them to draft a stash selection or to trade the pick for a current player over drafting Valentine.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
I'm sorry, but you haven't watched nearly enough Celtics games (if any, at all) to make that statement.

Look, I've been one to over-exaggerate the Celtics for a few years now. Whether it's about Smart, or Olynyk, or Sullinger -- I've probably overrated them at times (although y'all here don't understand Smart's dev track but that's for another time)

But you are dead wrong on the Isaiah Thomas aspect. You don't watch any of our games -- you just assume that because he's 5'9" that he's literally useless defensively and that he's average at best, and that is just so not true.

The Celtics were a below .500 team when we acquired Thomas at the trade deadline, and since then (Feb 2015-April 2016) the Celtics have had (tied for) the 2nd best record in the Eastern Conference. And Isaiah is absolutely the reason for that. His defense isn't worldly, obviously, but he's actually really solid at contesting shots at his height. We hide him when we can (so does GS and Steph and CLE and Kyrie) but he's not a negative defender on the court. Not really a positive either, but just very average.

Combine that with being one of the best scorers of the pick and roll (your PPP stats will show that) and his solid 3pt shooting, and he's someone that is not being moved. I don't know why someone who hasn't watched a single game (or if you have, very minimal) is saying the Celtics are best off at rebuilding again by drafting a non-scoring PG and to move the only player on the team that can create a shot. We did the rebuild, and we're done with that. This isn't the Celtics pick, this is the Brooklyn pick. The Celtics have the #23 overall selection, meaning they were the 7th best team in the NBA. With the large cap space and mostly static roster movement so far, all signs point to Boston being better this coming season. But trading away Isaiah does not achieve that goal in the slightest. He might not be part of our plans in three years, but trade him then. Moving him for Dunn does not further this team in any aspect, whatsoever. By the time Dunn is the player you suggest him to be, Bradley and Crowder's contracts are going to be up and they'll be gone most likely. We have 3 guys on 2-3 year deals making below $8M annually, and we have the assets from the Nets (#3 pick this year and their next two 1sts as well) -- the goal of this team is to do as well as possible thru 2018, and if it doesn't work, then we can kickstart the rebuild with the young players from those picks. There is no need to become the Sixers (which in my mind moving Thomas for Dunn is going in that direction)

I've watched way more Celtics games then you believe, that's what happens when you have league pass and the team makes the playoffs for two consecutive seasons.

I think you're greatly exaggerating numerous aspects.  The rebuilding part, for example, in what way is trading Isaiah Thomas "rebuilding?"  That's silly.  You're bolstering your roster, getting better.  That's the only way you move him.  If there is no deal that makes you better, then you don't move him.  That's common sense.  You're not "moving him for Dunn" in any stretch of the imagination.  I've already said I believe 100% they can play together.  I've also said I believe Thomas won't ultimately be moved for another two years at the earliest.

I'd also have to question how much you actually know about Dunn.  I'm not going to pull your chain, because it's pretty clear you really haven't looked at him at all because you don't think he will be the selection, but a non scoring PG?  Reading your little scouting report graphic could tell you that's not the truth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%