Paterno knew of Sandusky abuse as early as 1976

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

A man testified in court in 2014 that Penn State football coach Joe Paterno ignored his complaints of a sexual assault committed by assistant coach Jerry Sandusky in 1976 when the man was a 14-year-old boy, according to new court documents unsealed Tuesday in a Philadelphia court.

The victim, who was identified in court records as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. Sandusky’s finger penetrated the boy’s rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014.

“Specifically. Yes … I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted… I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”
Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/07/12/joe-paterno-knew-of-jerry-sandusky-abuse-in-1976-per-testimony-in-newly-unsealed-records/?tid=sm_tw

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the saga continues

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
It's plain as day that Paterno was not oblivious. His life and legacy should be tarnished beyond repair. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
His legacy shouldn't be touched. His reputation -- sure, but him being aware of the Sandusky info has zero affect on his coaching ability 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He turned a blind eye to sexual abuse and pedophilia to protect a coach on his football team.  That should directly affect his legacy imo

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
His legacy shouldn't be touched. His reputation -- sure, but him being aware of the Sandusky info has zero affect on his coaching ability 

It doesn't matter how good you are at something if you're a horrible person, to boot. He was a horrible person, and he should be remembered as a horrible person primarily. How many sociopaths or serial killers are/were extremely intelligent? Does it matter? No. Sometimes your actions make your abilities irrelevant. JoePa's legacy is that of turning a blind eye to sexual abuse. If Jerry Sandusky had been raping young girls, this wouldn't even be a question. There would be no debate over Joe Paterno's statue. It'd be down and that'd be that. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%