nolas NFL mock v2

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Any questions, direct my way. I know their may be some surprises and questions.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pretty sure we'd pass on Clausen for Haden.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pretty sure we'd pass on Clausen for Haden.
That's definetly possible, though I did alot of research and I feel the Browns have taken a liking to Clausen. I'm not going to speculate on what he'll be in the NFL, but I think Clausen at #7 is great value. Most think he's going to be gone in the top 5, likely to Washington at #4, I don't though. It just seems like a good fit to me, he can sit behind Delhomme (or whoever will be the starter) for a season or two and learn under him and Holmgren. That could build a great QB for the future with those two developing you, IMO.

Like I said, Haden is a possibility. But I think seven may be a little too high for him. The knock on Haden is he isn't a great cover corner, he's a great all around corner. Patrick Robinson from Florida State is the best pure cover corner in this draft. Haden relies on physical jams at the LOS and with the bigger stronger recievers the NFL has I'm not sure how effective that will be. He bites on moves, especially inside, and lacks the instincts of a elite cover corner. When I think of Haden, I think of the potential to be a Charles Woodson type player, or a Dunta Robinson type player.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Dan Williams #5 is a bit silly. Perhaps he is the best NT in the draft, but not worth that pick.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Yeah Dan Williams is good, but not that good. He's definitely top 15, not top 5.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Oh and Spiller at 28? His stock is soaring and I'm confident he won't get passed 14.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dan Williams was nowhere on my radar for the Chiefs to pick at #5 until I started doing some research. This mock took me 5 hours to do last night (9-2) and during that time I visited three Chiefs boards and gathered all the information I could on them. While I studied the Chiefs, I learned that the Chiefs are VERY high on Williams and more than the majority of the Chiefs fans are positive that he will be the pick. Remember, this is the same team that shocked people by selecting Tyson Jackson to play 3-4 end with the 3rd pick last year. They draft for need, not value or BPA. I was shocked, but do research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Spiller is going to be a great player, but there just isn't much of a need for backs this year. Teams have bigger needs, that includes Seattle who's biggest need is LT. They can't go into the season with what they've got there. Most Seattle fans are certain they will take a franchise LT at either #6 or #14, and with Berry being the 6th pick, who's better than Brown who knows how Carroll does thing. Don't underestimate the importance of having some of your guys.

I also don't think Spiller is a #1 guy, he's a poor mans Reggie Bush coming out. Not very good between the tackles, shys away from contact, tries to bounce it outside too much, not a great pass blocker, not very powerful. Those things don't work good in the NFL, as Reggie learned. I think Spiller is about a mid 1st round talent. About that 14-16 range. But like I said, teams just aren't killing for backs this year. Going to Pittsburgh at #18 would be ideal, but they have far too many needs ahead of running back. Because of all these reasons, I think Spiller takes a fall.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Dan Williams is a silly pick, regardless of what Chiefs fans may have convinced themselves of.

You do NOT spend three consecutive seasons drafting defensive linemen for a 3-4 system, unless you want to have yet another top pick next season (will there be a season?) - regardless, they will not take a NT especially with how horrible the Dorsey and Jackson picks have been - no need to try and make up for it by reaching for a NT (who in my opinion, much like Joe Haden, is being bumped up simply for being the best NT [or CB] in a relatively weak class for that position; and yes, there are good DTs in this draft - just not NT)

I have the same top four as you do, so we have the same pool of players available for the Chiefs. I have the Chiefs taking the BPA at a position of need - Eric Berry. They acquired Mike Brown last year, who had a solid season (although tackle totals may be a combination of poor coverage/poor linebackers) - but they've yet to have a ball hawk in the secondary for a while. Eric Berry can be a difference maker, especially for a defense that is pretty poor.

If Russell Okung is on the board (I think he'll go 4th, possibly even 2nd), then they should take him. To me, their biggest need may be offensive line - especially considering that their current LT is Branden Albert, someone who played guard in college [and quite frankly, sucked last year at guard] and the best way to retool a team with such major needs is by addressing LT - perhaps go back to a running-oriented team when they had Willie Roaf and Brian Waters at their best, with a good but not spectacular Trent Green (Okung, Albert, Cassell?)

If there was a great edge rusher in this draft, perhaps they'd go there. But I think the pick is BPA, and it just so happens to be in a position of need. Berry is the pick.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I heard from Mayock and others(not fans) that the Chiefs are high on Berry. I wouldn't trust thouse fans. Probably purely what they want. And I'm sure the Chiefs have learned their lesson of insanely reaching for Tyson. Also, Spiller reminds me more of Chris Johnson then Reggie Bush. And all the same "questions" about CJ when he was coming out, s being said about Spiller so I have no doubt he can handle the load (he's shown it already, having almost 20+ touches a game last year). And Joe Haden at 18? His stock is soaring after his pro day. I hear top 10 for sure.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Dan Williams is a silly pick, regardless of what Chiefs fans may have convinced themselves of.

You do NOT spend three consecutive seasons drafting defensive linemen for a 3-4 system, unless you want to have yet another top pick next season (will there be a season?) - regardless, they will not take a NT especially with how horrible the Dorsey and Jackson picks have been - no need to try and make up for it by reaching for a NT (who in my opinion, much like Joe Haden, is being bumped up simply for being the best NT [or CB] in a relatively weak class for that position; and yes, there are good DTs in this draft - just not NT)

I have the same top four as you do, so we have the same pool of players available for the Chiefs. I have the Chiefs taking the BPA at a position of need - Eric Berry. They acquired Mike Brown last year, who had a solid season (although tackle totals may be a combination of poor coverage/poor linebackers) - but they've yet to have a ball hawk in the secondary for a while. Eric Berry can be a difference maker, especially for a defense that is pretty poor.

If Russell Okung is on the board (I think he'll go 4th, possibly even 2nd), then they should take him. To me, their biggest need may be offensive line - especially considering that their current LT is Branden Albert, someone who played guard in college [and quite frankly, sucked last year at guard] and the best way to retool a team with such major needs is by addressing LT - perhaps go back to a running-oriented team when they had Willie Roaf and Brian Waters at their best, with a good but not spectacular Trent Green (Okung, Albert, Cassell?)

If there was a great edge rusher in this draft, perhaps they'd go there. But I think the pick is BPA, and it just so happens to be in a position of need. Berry is the pick.
I really think the smartest pick for Detroit would be Okung. They NEED to keep Stafford on his feet, he was thrown around like a doll at times last season. But I just can't imagine them passing over Suh, who's obviously a real talent. I'm not sure how well that would work out for them, keeping my QB comfortable would be my #1 priority.

With KC, I never said I agree with the pick. I'm just going by the vibe the fans have gotten from the team. The Chiefs REALLY like Williams. One thing that pretty much that entire fanbase agrees on (while they would love to have Berry) is that it will either be a OT or DT with their pick. They just don't believe Pioli (sp?) would take a safety that high. The main two names being thrown around by them are Bulaga and Williams, since they believe Okung will be gone. I'll agree that Dorsey and Jackson haven't worked out like they had hoped. But they have no NT, and I don't think in a 3-4 you can get a true rating on your players until you get that big man in the middle, 30 year old Ron Edwards is not that big man. He was just as bad if not worse than Dorsey and Jackson last year. Your not gonna have a successful 3-4 without that big man, nomatter who the other players are.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Spiller is a very good back, but I don't see him going too high. Like he said, the Seahawks will probably take a tackle either 6 or 14, and I have them taking Claussen at 6 right now (although they do seem high on Whitehurst... then again, he is Charlie Whitehurst) so to me I do not think they'd take Spiller - although it's not unreasonable.

The 49ers could take him, especially considering how much Coffee sucked last year - I don't know if they need 2 picks for O-line - I think they take Iupati and perhaps Spiller.

I think the Texans should give him a look - perhaps provide what they wanted Slaton to last year - but why spend a pick on someone who they could potentially already have a very close copy of? And they have too many weaknesses in secondary for them to not take Wilson/Robinson/Thomas/Mays imo.

The Packers protect Rodgers too poorly to avoid taking a tackle.

I guess if all of these teams look away, Spiller could fall. I think he might go 16, but if he doesn't, he could very well slip to 28 (or even further if the Chargers look to replace Jamal Williams [and isn't Sproles an ideal version of what Spiller hopes to be in the NFL?]

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard from Mayock and others(not fans) that the Chiefs are high on Berry. I wouldn't trust thouse fans. Probably purely what they want. And I'm sure the Chiefs have learned their lesson of insanely reaching for Tyson. Also, Spiller reminds me more of Chris Johnson then Reggie Bush. And all the same "questions" about CJ when he was coming out, s being said about Spiller so I have no doubt he can handle the load (he's shown it already, having almost 20+ touches a game last year).
I think your overrating Spiller a bit too much. His offensive touches per game break down like this, 11 as a Freshman, 14 as a Sophomore, 13 as a Junior, and 18 as a Senior. I pretty much gave my breakdown on him, I think it's too hard to compare any back to Johnson. People expected Johnson to be a lesser version of Reggie Bush and nobody expected him to be the star he is today. But like I said, Spiller has a bunch of variables that just don't equal success in the NFL. The NFL isn't the ACC, Spiller won't be able to cut runs outside and just outrun defenders anymore. He's gonna have to become more physical, he's gonna have to learn to run between the tackles, he's gonna have to toughen up and take on contact more. He's gonna have a large learning curve when he's drafted, and a team won't draft him to be their #1. Mostly every scouting report I've read on Spiller mentions how big of a concern his durability is. Like I said, I think Spiller is a talent. I think he's a mid 1st round talent, but he's not as good as your rating him, but that's just my opinion. We'll find out in the future, right?

TTN2810

Reaction score
I think your overrating Spiller a bit too much. His offensive touches per game break down like this, 11 as a Freshman, 14 as a Sophomore, 13 as a Junior, and 18 as a Senior. I pretty much gave my breakdown on him, I think it's too hard to compare any back to Johnson. People expected Johnson to be a lesser version of Reggie Bush and nobody expected him to be the star he is today. But like I said, Spiller has a bunch of variables that just don't equal success in the NFL. The NFL isn't the ACC, Spiller won't be able to cut runs outside and just outrun defenders anymore. He's gonna have to become more physical, he's gonna have to learn to run between the tackles, he's gonna have to toughen up and take on contact more. He's gonna have a large learning curve when he's drafted, and a team won't draft him to be their #1. Mostly every scouting report I've read on Spiller mentions how big of a concern his durability is. Like I said, I think Spiller is a talent. I think he's a mid 1st round talent, but he's not as good as your rating him, but that's just my opinion. We'll find out in the future, right?
I respect your opinion man, but in my point of view all the stuff bolded were stuff said of CJ. I'm not saying Spiller is CJ, but if he even has the potential, I would not hesitate to draft him at 14. And even if he does turn into a Bush, Bush still does help out in the passing and return game, so at 14 I don't think you can go wrong.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Spiller is a very good back, but I don't see him going too high. Like he said, the Seahawks will probably take a tackle either 6 or 14, and I have them taking Claussen at 6 right now (although they do seem high on Whitehurst... then again, he is Charlie Whitehurst) so to me I do not think they'd take Spiller - although it's not unreasonable.

The 49ers could take him, especially considering how much Coffee sucked last year - I don't know if they need 2 picks for O-line - I think they take Iupati and perhaps Spiller.

I think the Texans should give him a look - perhaps provide what they wanted Slaton to last year - but why spend a pick on someone who they could potentially already have a very close copy of? And they have too many weaknesses in secondary for them to not take Wilson/Robinson/Thomas/Mays imo.

The Packers protect Rodgers too poorly to avoid taking a tackle.

I guess if all of these teams look away, Spiller could fall. I think he might go 16, but if he doesn't, he could very well slip to 28 (or even further if the Chargers look to replace Jamal Williams [and isn't Sproles an ideal version of what Spiller hopes to be in the NFL?]
Your pretty much reading my mind. I think the highest Spiller goes is too San Fran at #16. San Fran, Pittsburgh, Houston maybe (maybe not), even a team like Cincy may be able to use him as a change of pace guy for Benson. New England may look for a new back, but they NEED a pass rusher, so cross them out unless no pass rusher is available. Keep going down the line and the next team to need a back is San Diego, though I'd personally look more at Matthews, because of Sproles like you mentioned.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I respect your opinion man, but in my point of view all the stuff bolded were stuff said of CJ. I'm not saying Spiller is CJ, but if he even has the potential, I would not hesitate to draft him at 14. And even if he does turn into a Bush, Bush still does help out in the passing and return game, so at 14 I don't think you can go wrong.
My main point is that Johnson is the exception. The rule is backs like Spiller (Reggie) will struggle to adjust to what the NFL offers. People said the same thing about Johnson, true. But he's shocked people with the authority he runs with, his vision, his instincts between the tackles, those are all things nobody thought he would show in the NFL. Again, Chris Johnson is the exception, not the rule. Like I said, because of the surprise Johnson has been, I don't think you can have a legit comparison for him now or when he was drafted.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Johnson is not the only exception though. Now we see what Jamaal Charles is doing, and the time of the speed RB is in. Hell, look at Sproles even. May not be a full time back, but they are game changers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%