The Alamo is under construction

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]The Spurs have been a model of consistency since the franchise’s inception into the NBA. They have had stable leadership and coaching since the 90’s. It’s why the uprooting of the team has been such a shock to fans and rival general managers across the league. The previous GM Mikeairs has took a leave of absence leaving the team to former Bulls GM TYO. TYO’s previous general manager resume left a lot to be desired as he followed the Sam Hinkie model of tanking for a top prospect. That model resulted in a lot of talent for the Bulls but very few wins and only one playoff appearance. TYO has embraced the challenge while learning from his mistakes in his Bulls tenure. “In my past I probably looked towards the next premier prospect instead of building something for the present and that’s something I’m embracing with the Spurs.”[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=12pt]The moves have been sudden and have surprised the Spurs fanbase. First of the moves was trading Carmelo Anthony for Dejounte Murray and Gary Harris and 3 first round picks. TYO views Murray as a potential first team all-NBA defender and Harris as a possible model of consistency for a young team in search of an identity. “Dejounte is someone I viewed at Washington as a potential solid starter in the future. There will be growing pains but in the long run I believe he can be a leader for this team and one of the best defenders in the league due to his measurables, intangibles and feel for the game. In adding Gary to the team we believe we’re getting a guy on the upswing as we saw he averaged 12/3/3 on 45/43/76 shooting splits. We believe we have one of the most underrated young talents in the league in these two”.[/SIZE]

Murray looks to be the future of the Spurs backcourt.

[SIZE=12pt]The boom or bust offseason addition is someone all basketball fans are familiar with as he was heralded as the next big thing in basketball prior to college and that’s Andrew Wiggins. He has some history with general manager TYO as he selected him in the 2014 draft. Wiggins has had a disappointing pro career outside of an average rookie season where he scored a decent amount on bad shooting splits. Wiggins has every athletic gift a modern NBA wing could ask for in this age of positionless basketball. He stands out immediately on the court at 6’8 200 pounds with a seven foot wingspan and a astonishing 44 inch vertical leap. His issues are inconsistency and a low motor and those are worries for a team who do not look to be competing next year. He understands the complaints and appears ready to silence the critics. “I’m aware that I’ve been labeled a disappointment and I’m ready to change the narrative on my career at the present. I’m appreciative of the Spurs organization for giving me a chance to revitalize my career and prove my worth in this league”. [/SIZE]

Can Wiggins live up to the lofty expectations that followed him into the NBA?

[SIZE=12pt]But it’s not all about the youth movement in San Antonio as the team has added some veterans who’ve carved out a nice niche for themselves in the league. The team moved Jae Crowder for Chris Bosh as Bosh was in a crowded situation for minutes with the Houston Rockets fairly top heavy frontcourt. “Chris is someone that we’re so thankful to have on this team from a leadership and talent perspective. We know he’s someone who has been through the ringer in this league and he will be invaluable to this young group we’re trying to mold and in particular Harry Giles” general manager TYO said at the introductory press conference. In addition to Chris Bosh the Spurs have also added Iman Shumpert who is expected to be one of the team’s backup on the wings and be a high end three and d player. The team have also added Greg Monroe who is expected to be a model of consistency at the center position for a team in need of bigs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Do all of these changes guarantee success? Absolutely not but for a franchise searching for something special it sure beats being a treadmill team. Who emerges and who faulters should make the Spurs one intriguing watch this upcoming season.[/SIZE]

Bozo The Clown

Reaction score
Nice to see another team-based article here. Solid piece. I hope Murray and Wiggins can shine with some playing time and another TC

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yall determined to make Wiggins work .. I can respect that

Just know when yall come to MsG its a L on the schedule

Solid article though my dude

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dez said:
Yall determined to make Wiggins work .. I can respect that

Just know when yall come to MsG its a L on the schedule

Solid article though my dude
Preciate it my guy. You know I’m dying on the Wiggins hill.

Bozo The Clown

Reaction score
TYO said:
Preciate it my guy. You know I’m dying on the Wiggins hill.
someone has to do it. I was going to give him a shot as a backup 2/3 but had to flip it into Jrue

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMOTY said:
someone has to do it. I was going to give him a shot as a backup 2/3 but had to flip it into Jrue
I would’ve done the same thing my guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%