Devils re-sign Kovalchuk

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You do know you were talking about how his cap hit won't be much at the end... But it will be. They can split up the money however they want in reality, but as far as the NHL cap goes - it's an average (so a bit over 5 a year, even if he's gonna be making let's say 8-10 in the beginning, and 3-5 at the end) the cap hit to the Devils will be 100/17... Every. Single. Year.

Unless that changes, which I'm sure it can over the next 17 years.
Before you posted that, I said I misread

I thought you just were talking about the SALARY, not the hit

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Meh, I didn't refresh to see if you edited lol... But I'm always right ;) Don't ask questions.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Now, I don't know much about hockey but... 17 years is holy <Censored>. That's ridiculous. The guy will be 45 by contracts end not to mention that is an unheard of length of a contract. Doesn't the NHL have no restrictions on contract length though?

stewza

Reaction score
Can't wait for the new CBA to get rid of the Ken Holland contracts.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Same. I hate how they can just do them to lower the cap hit while making the player happier

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this deal is just nuckin' futs.

Oiler35

Reaction score
The NHL has REJECTED this offer.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The NHL has REJECTED this offer.
I'd like to know exactly what rules this contract brakes. I mean it's a bullsh.. way to better you're cap situation, obvious, however all I can find about the NHL's justification for rejecting it, "most know he won't play that long". Based on what I've read, the NHL's only grounds for rejecting the deal is b/c they're thinking the same we all are. Either way, that's not breaking any rules.

Players Association will file a grievance and this will end up in an Arbitrator's hands.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They should just reject every lucrative contract like this

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Stupid that they rejected this contract.

17 years is crazy though, never seen it before.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Stupid that they rejected this contract.

17 years is crazy though, never seen it before.
Its just a loophole around the salary cap, no one plans on keeping him that long

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So the Devils knew it would be rejected? WTF lol

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So the Devils knew it would be rejected? WTF lol
I'm sure they did but they're also aware of the fact that the Player's Union would file a grievance anyways. I tell you what, w/o the NHL producing a rule under the CBA that this contract breaks...an arbitrator is going to rule in favor of the contract. All the NHL is saying is that the contract was structured in a way to curb the cap...okay...we all know that...but that's not illegal.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm hoping this is just another stage of the Kovalchuk soap opera and he goes to LA afterall =)

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way that it should be rejected. If there is a flaw in the system, you should allow this contract to be "grandfathered" in, and then change the rule afterward.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way that it should be rejected. If there is a flaw in the system, you should allow this contract to be "grandfathered" in, and then change the rule afterward.
Exactly. The NHL is objecting to a contract without any legal recourse to do so. They'll look even more foolish once an arbitrator forces them to approve thsi deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%