FCS Playoff Thread

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Towson and Eastern Washington are currently playing. Towson's starting RB Terrence West has the single season rushing yardage record in FCS. Eastern Washington starting QB Vernon Adams has thrown for 53 TD passes this season, which I also believe is a FCS record, and that isn't where the stat lines stop for Adams. I believe he has the single season total yardage record as well. It's insane.

North Dakota State beat New Hampshire last night 52-14. Over their three playoff games, NDSU has outscored opponents 138-35, with the starting defense only allowing 21 of those 35 points, and they shut out UNH last night (UNH scored on a pick 6 and a late TD against backups). 

Beating UNH like that is nothing to be proud of. I attended the game (last home game for both Craig Bohl and a legendary senior class at NDSU). How UNH got to the FCS Semifinals is beyond me. The Bison played two significantly better teams in the first two rounds. They didn't even belong on the same field. 

Looking ahead, I don't think Towson would have a chance against the Bison. They're a primarily running team and NDSU isn't susceptible to the run. Now and then, a great RB can break one, but it's very very rare. In the 2011 and 2012 FCS championship games, the Bison shut down Sam Houston State's excellent RB Tim Flanders, and Terrence West isn't about to do much against that defense.

Eastern Washington is a much more formidable opponent because of their excellent aerial attack. The Bison's defense is susceptible to nothing (something like 11 points allowed per game, two hundred and some yards, all this while playing in hands down the toughest FCS conference [Missouri Valley Football Conference]), but a talent like Vernon Adams is capable of anything. I would expect NDSU to trounce Eastern Washington, too, but if Vernon Adams isn't held in check, it'd at least be a game.

What it comes down to is how porous both EW's and Towson's defenses are. They certainly aren't going to stop the Bison offense, which has become a well oiled, balanced machine. 

Either way, the FCS Championship Game is coming up and we can only hope that it's at least competitive. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wisconsin-Whitewater absolutely fucking demolished Mount Union in the Stagg Bowl last night.  (D3 national championship)

They play that game in my high school's football stadium.  I could've gotten free tickets... IDK why I didn't go. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, but both teams fans travel surprisingly well, so it's a pretty cool atmosphere.  Especially here in VA, where the only decent sports venue anywhere near here is VT, but fuck them.  Blacksburg is nothing but a goddamn cow pasture.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Quick edit. Towson's RB is Terrence *West. I don't know why I thought his last name was Knight.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
lol Towson is going to win. They're going to get their shit kicked in Frisco. As usual, Eastern Washington is really overrated. The Big Sky conference just pales in comparison to other FCS conferences, and they act like they're big time. There's a reason Montana and Montana State always enter as high seeds but lose out early. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I really want BWare live-posting this game and bashing the refs....

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I really want BWare live-posting this game and bashing the refs....

There won't be anything to live post. The game's already over. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Talking shit about 1-AA football lmao. Go Towson. I have a lot of friends that go there.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Talking shit about 1-AA football lmao. Go Towson. I have a lot of friends that go there.

Towson's a great team, but NDSU's team, this year, is beyond special. I think they're untouchable. If Towson beats them, it should go down as one of the biggest upsets in FCS history. 

And to those of you who knock 1-AA. At least try watching it first. Good college football is good, regardless of class.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
People say the same shit about High School football, and I can't sit through 5 minutes. And I live in one of the hot beds for elite high school football talent.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
elcheato said:
People say the same shit about High School football, and I can't sit through 5 minutes. And I live in one of the hot beds for elite high school football talent.

The FCS title game is January 3rd or 4th on ESPN2. Two weekends from now. Give it a chance.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I watched some of the Towson game on Saturday. Tough to watch.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I watched some of the Towson game on Saturday. Tough to watch.

That was their backup QB. The fact that they beat EWU at the Inferno after losing their starter early in the game is amazing.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Championship game is pretty goddamn good so far. :) 

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Man oh man, this NDSU team is absolutely phenomenal. 

They could have played with a bunch of FBS schools, imo. Especially the way they play. The high flying FCS teams would get their shit kicked at the next level, most of the time, but the Bison are constructed the right way. Great everything. This defense is absolutely unbelievable.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
BACK TO BACK TO BACK BITCHES.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
3rd straight title for the Herd. 

In the playoffs, the Bison outscored their opponents 173-42, with the starting defense allowing a total of 28 points in four games. UNH scored their 14 on a pick 6 and one offensive TD against the second team defense. 

Just. Fucking. Insane.

Over their entire season, the Bison went 15-0 and outscored their opponents 581-169, posting 3 shutouts, winning 13 of their 15 games by double digits, and one of those single digit games was against K State. Only one FCS team played the Bison within single digits (Northern Iowa, who was playing extremely well until their season was derailed by injuries). 

All of this while playing in hands down the toughest FCS conference (Missouri Valley Football Conference). The playoffs would have been more interesting if the MVFC didn't get shafted in the playoff selections. Youngstown State (where Jim Tressell coached for many years) and Northern Iowa should have made it over certain teams from the Big Sky and the Colonial who clearly had no business being there over MVFC teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%