Idea of Gay NFL Player Bothers Michael Sam Sr

TTN2810

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay

Sam's father took the news hard. He said he was eating at a Denny's restaurant but had to leave after receiving the text.

"I couldn't eat no more, so I went to Applebee's to have drinks," Sam Sr. told the newspaper. "I don't want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment."

Sam Sr., who described himself as "old-school," told the newspaper the idea of a gay player in the NFL bothers him, even when that person could be his own son.
He told the newspaper that late Hall of Famer Deacon Jones, the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome who is credited with terming the word sack, "is turning over in his grave."

He told the newspaper, however, that he loves his son and hopes he makes it into the NFL.

"As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross. This is just one he has to cross," Sam Sr. told The Times.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He was eating at a Denny's, and then had to go to Applebees to get drinks.

Doesn't want his grand kids raised in what type of environment, exactly?

Talks about the hurdles a black man has to go through, while essentially discriminating against another group of people entirely.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo[/media]

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
Apparently, he told his coaches and teammates before his own dad. That has to hurt. Everything else aside, that's a cowardly move.

I don't mind anything Sam Sr said or did tbh. He has the right to believe in what he does just like his son does. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Judging by his father's reaction, there's a reason he wasn't told first.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
What because he would be upset? That's cowardly as fuck

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what he is. That's your family. 

If he only told his teammates that would be one thing... but when you tell your coaches who play a parental role in your life before your own dad that's like a slap in the face. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Maybe it is a slap in the face, but I don't see how it's cowardly. I'd go to the people I thought were my biggest support group if I had something to reveal as big as that, and by this report, it's evident his dad is not that.

Also, I'd challenge what you said earlier saying he has "the right to believe whatever he wants". Does he really have the right to be prejudice against gays? I'd say the answer should be no.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
True, but I'm going to venture an educated guess that telling coaches before him is not the reason he was this upset.

If you were hiding something from your parents, who would be the first to know? Them or your friends?  99% it isn't going to be your parents.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Maybe it is a slap in the face, but I don't see how it's cowardly. I'd go to the people I thought were my biggest support group if I had something to reveal as big as that, and by this report, it's evident his dad is not that.

Also, I'd challenge what you said earlier saying he has "the right to believe whatever he wants". Does he really have the right to be prejudice against gays? I'd say the answer should be no.

Do you have the right to hate on his hate?

It's a full circle. Hating on a hater makes you the bigot. 

You should absolutely have the right to BELIEVE what you want. It's a basic human right. 

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
We're just assuming shit at this point. We don't know what his relationship with his dad was. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes, I have the right to hate on his hate. Nothing about my "hate" towards his opinion is a form of my non existent prejudices. Not to mention it's not even hate, it's the simple opinion I have (that most do as well), that there is no excuse for the thought of inequality and bigotry.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Yes, I have the right to hate on his hate. Nothing about my "hate" towards his opinion is a form of my non existent prejudices. Not to mention it's not even hate, it's the simple opinion I have (that most do as well), that there is no excuse for the thought of inequality and bigotry.

I don't see his statement as hate either. He's not saying "DONT DRAFT MY SON HE'S A FAG. HE'LL BURN IN HELL"

He's simply stating his opinion that people of older generations would not be accepting of this situation. Which is most likely true. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
guru said:

I don't see his statement as hate either. He's not saying "DONT DRAFT MY SON HE'S A <Censored>. HE'LL BURN IN HELL"

He's simply stating his opinion that people of older generations would not be accepting of this situation. Which is most likely true. 
He doesn't want gay people in the NFL. That's prejudice.

Also a quote from the bottom of the full article

"I'm closer to my friends than I am to my family," Sam told the newspaper.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
elcheato said:
He doesn't want gay people in the NFL. That's prejudice.

Am I missing something? Did he actually say that? Or are you just implying shit?

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
elcheato said:

Also a quote from the bottom of the full article

Friends and coaches are two very different things. I'm closer to my friends than my parents too. That really isn't saying much

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sam Sr., who described himself as "old-school," told the newspaper the idea of a gay player in the NFL bothers him, even when that person could be his own son.
He told the newspaper that late Hall of Famer Deacon Jones, the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome who is credited with terming the word sack, "is turning over in his grave."

Nothing about this statement gives me the idea that he'd accept a gay player into the league.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And didn't he disclose of his sexual orientation in a team building exercise when they were all asked to tell each other something about them they wouldn't expect? One would assume his coaches were present during that, and one way or another they were gonna find out from one his team mates if they weren't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%