Replace refs aren't who the NFL says they are

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Regarding Craig Ochoa, for example, who served as the referee during the Hall of Fame game, Pereira says that the league has trumped up Ochoa’s experience level.

“They’ve tried to say that Craig Ochoa . . . was a BCS official, that he worked in the Big Ten. He didn’t work in the Big Ten. He’s not been a major college official. I don’t think the NFL is going to say that he actually got released midway through the last Lingerie Football League season as a referee. I don’t think the league is going to put that out. The league wants as little out as possible. They don’t want people talking about it. They don’t want me talking about it.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/pereira-says-nfl-is-embellishing-the-credentials-of-replacement-officials/

and the NFLRA released this:

The NFLRA then identified 10 significant errors, from the non-call of a Saints touchdown to the failure to flag Cardinals left tackle Levi Brown for holding in the end zone to a failure to call a touchback on a punt downed inside the Saints’ one yard line to a failure to flag a helmet-to-helmet hit on a defenseless punt returner.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=1141&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fsaintsreport.com%2Fforums%2Ff2%2Fnflra-lists-officiating-errors-hall-fame-game-234961%2F&v=1&libid=1344369985026&out=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2012%2F08%2F06%2Fnflra-lists-officiating-errors-from-hall-of-fame-game%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fsaintsreport.com%2Fforums%2Ff2%2F&title=NFLRA%20lists%20officiating%20errors%20from%20Hall%20of%20Fame%20game%20-%20SaintsReport%20Community%20Forums&txt=NFLRA%20lists%20officiating%20errors%20from%20Hall%20of%20Fame%20game%20%7C%20ProFootballTalk&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13443700255723

NFL needs to fix this.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pointing out a missed holding call is stupid. You could point out a missed holding call on just about every play from every game in the history of football.

Hell, 10 questionable calls out of about 140 plays seems par for the course based on what we're used to seeing.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Shouldn't all the mindless "Goodell is ruining football!" people be happy that the replacement refs missed a helmet to helmet call?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pointing out a missed holding call is stupid. You could point out a missed holding call on just about every play from every game in the history of football.

Hell, 10 questionable calls out of about 140 plays seems par for the course based on what we're used to seeing.
Missed holding call in the endzone is 2 points and possession, that's a huge missed call in the regular season.

Furthermore though, since these are replacement refs, and since the NFL is so secretive about where they came from, every missed call will be put under a microscope even more than normal. I'd hate to see a team lose a game because these refs don't know the rules of the game, all because the NFL would rather use their lockout strategy then actually negotiating.

Though it's all moot because like I said yesterday, deadlines spur action. It'll get done.

Falcons11497

LEGENDARY.
Reaction score
They need to get all their shit together come regular season
smh

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From what I saw it wasnt that bad. So..im aight with the replacement refs.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd rather have the real refs lol.

Unless we get penalized less from the replacement refs :)

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's a lot easier to see penalties on replay as opposed to on the field in the heat of a game. Who knows, the real refs might've missed those calls too...

I'm not advocating keep the replacements but it's not like they're completely embarrassing themselves out there

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Let em play football, let em play. I don't care to see flags flying on every play, let em play. Unless it's a blatant penalty, of course.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Missed holding call in the endzone is 2 points and possession, that's a huge missed call in the regular season.

Furthermore though, since these are replacement refs, and since the NFL is so secretive about where they came from, every missed call will be put under a microscope even more than normal. I'd hate to see a team lose a game because these refs don't know the rules of the game, all because the NFL would rather use their lockout strategy then actually negotiating.

Though it's all moot because like I said yesterday, deadlines spur action. It'll get done.
A holding penalty is potentially a huge penalty regardless of where it happens on the field. I understand that holding in the endzone is a safety, but the act of holding looks no different in the endzone than it does at the 50.

The "real" referees are nowhere near perfect. They miss holding calls on a regular basis. Some are too loose with the whistle on illegal contact/PI, and so forth... looking at these guys in the first preseason game of the year like they should be calling every game with 100% accuracy is absurd. (not calling you out, mainly the NFLRA)

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think the NFLRA was calling them out for not being 100% accurate either.

I think the problem is, these replacement refs don't really know the rules, aren't used to officiating games this fast and this physical, and are just kind of left in the cold. I don't think anyone expects them to be perfect, it's just not a good situation all around.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
More:

Players noted that not a single, non-special teams holding penalty was called, which is unusual for the first preseason game of the year. Players said officials forgot to move the marker after a 3-yard loss. After an incomplete it should have been third-and-13 but the marker showed third-and-10. Also, players claimed holding was called on a Saints punt play, and it took the officials four attempts to correctly spot the football.

"We were all laughing on the sidelines at how clueless they were," one player told CBSSports.com.

Players say they began mocking the officials, and the players said the officials argued among themselves.
Don't need to mock them though. Their just trying to do a difficult job.

TTN2810

Reaction score
LOL at the one guy getting fired from the Lingerie Football League.
Too busy looking at them tits.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
they are who we thought they are!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%