Dan Wheldon dies following crash

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LAS VEGAS -- Dan Wheldon, the 2011 Indianapolis 500 winner and one of the most popular drivers in open-wheel racing, died Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in a horrific multi-car crash only 11 laps into the IndyCar Series season finale.

Officials decided to call the race, but the drivers planned a five-lap tribute to Wheldon. IndyCar Series CEORandy Bernard made the officials announcmeent of Wheldon's death without further comment.

"IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," Bernard said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today. IndyCar, its drivers and owners, have decided to end the race. In honor of Dan Wheldon, the drivers have decided to do a five-lap salute to in his honor."

Wheldon, 33 and the 2005 series champion from Emberton, England, was competing in only his third IndyCar race of the season, trying to win the event and earn a $5 million bonus that was part of a league promotion for drivers who didn't compete full-time in the series this year.

Wheldon was the only driver to accept the challenge. This year's Indy 500 was the second time Wheldon had won the prestigious event. He also won it in 2005.

Wheldon was expected to replace Danica Patrick next season in the Go-Daddy-sponsored car for Andretti Autosport.

Patrick is moving to NASCAR full-time in 2012.

Wheldon raced for Michael Andretti's team previously from 2003 through 2005 when he won the championship. Wheldon won 16 races in his nine-year IndyCar career.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
R.I.P Dan Wheldon

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
scary sport man

Rest in Peace

very sad

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
That was definitely one of the worst wrecks I've ever seen, sucks to see a guy lose his life. Indy car is just way too dangerous, there's absolutely no protection in them things. The racing world lost a great driver today.

RIP Dan Wheldon

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dangggg. sad. RIP

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Absolutely awful news. Such a young guy. RIP.

Bengals1Fan

Reaction score
I've met him once. He was a great guy. Real nice honest and funny. Really sorry for his family. RIP

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This sucks, that was a horrific crash.

Wheldon lost his life in only his third race of the season, and the last race of the Indy Car series.

RIP Dan Wheldon.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
This sucks, that was a horrific crash.

Wheldon lost his life in only his third race of the season, and the last race of the Indy Car series.

RIP Dan Wheldon.
This is a prime example of why I hate people that watch it just for the wrecks, it really pisses me off. There's nothing good about it.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Man that sucks...hope his family is coping.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is a prime example of why I hate people that watch it just for the wrecks, it really pisses me off. There's nothing good about it.
Nah it's not, ESPN just did a good piece on Wheldon.

I don't think people realize just how bad these wrecks are. I remember I went to Talladega the year Earnhardt died and the wrecks that scared the shit out of me. I can't imagine how scary that wreck was live yesterday.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
I saw footage of the crash on ESPN the other day and this was a very tragic thing. The wreck was terrible.

R.I.P Dan Wheldon.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
"Blunt trauma to the head" is the cause of death.

He wasn't hit with a tire was he? My dad said he was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%