Ready, set, go ... contact

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
NASCAR putting emphasis on back-to-basics racing, New rules changes designed aimed at sport's history.

NASCAR has announced that it will relax some on-track rules, putting racing back in the drivers' hands in 2010.

The changes, which begin with next month's season-opening events at Daytona International Speedway, will allow drivers to be even more competitive.

Race rule changes were one of several announcements during Thursday's annual Media Tour presentation at NASCAR's Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C.

NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France said the loosening of on-track reins is another step in enhancing competition and back-to-basics racing.

"Over the past 10 years we've dramatically increased safety and that mission continues. However, it's time for us to allow the drivers to drive. We don't want the rules and regulations to get in the way of great racing and fantastic finishes," France said.

"NASCAR is a contact sport -- our history is based on banging fenders."

Among the changes:

• Bump-drafting rules will be eliminated at Daytona and Talladega Superspeedway. Teams also will use a bigger restrictor plate at Daytona.

Eliminating bump-drafting rules puts responsibility for on-track moves squarely back in drivers' hands. Larger restrictor plates give drivers more horsepower.

• The wing mounted on the rear on the Sprint Cup Series' new car will be replaced with a spoiler. A full-field test is scheduled for March 23-24 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Following that, a decision on when to implement the spoiler will be made based on teams' input. The switch from wing to spoiler will return to a more traditional stock-car look.

"Over the last couple of years, there have been dozens of changes to this car, with this being the most visible change," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition.

• Cup Series director John Darby has been promoted to managing director of competition, with oversight of all three national series' directors, officials, inspection processes and race officiating. He will continue in his series director's role until his successor is found.

"Probably no one is more qualified for this new job than John," Pemberton said. "He knows and understands the officiating and inspection processes better than anyone and is the perfect fit."

Other changes announced Thursday:

• Mike Fisher, managing director of NASCAR's R&D Center, has some additions to his team. They include Brett Bodine as the director of racing, Tom Gideon as director of safety and Jamie DiPietro as manager of safety inspections.

• Beginning with the Feb. 13 season opener at Daytona, Nationwide Series teams will be limited to 15 crew members, including the driver, crew chief, spotter and seven over-the-wall pit-crew members. Teams also won't be required to provide a scorer. Last year teams had no limit on at-track crew members.

• Nationwide Series teams may run no more than two races in 2010 without using an engine sealed by series officials. Last year they could run three races before using a sealed engine.

• Camping World Truck Series teams will use double-file restarts "shootout style" in 2010, making restart rules uniform across all three national series. Teams also will return to traditional pit stops, eliminating last year's procedure of refueling and changing tires on separate stops. Teams also may use a new, vented fuel dump can, eliminating the need for a catch can.
Should be an interesting year.... The Superspeedways are going to get carried away now... At least they are going to let the drivers be more like themselves and not ruin everything.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
YaY. Nascar is finally listening to the drivers and fans. I love these changes and cant wait for the new season. Jeff Gordon is gonna win it all.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
YaY. Nascar is finally listening to the drivers and fans. I love these changes and cant wait for the new season. Jeff Gordon is gonna win it all.
That would definitely be the best thing that could happen!

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Jimmie Johnson is gonna win it all, duh!

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Oh yea Im sorry for picking the guy who has won it the last 4 years.

TML77

Reaction score
jimmie or jeff will not win it this year at least i hope not kinda boring. hope a under dog get the title

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Damn I hate all these tourists right now in Daytona Beach..... Cant drive anywhere cuz they think I want parking for the race, traffic everywhere, and the restaurants are packed..... I cant wait for it to be over with.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Damn I hate all these tourists right now in Daytona Beach..... Cant drive anywhere cuz they think I want parking for the race, traffic everywhere, and the restaurants are packed..... I cant wait for it to be over with.
Are you still going to the Daytona 500?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Hendrick Motorsports team is going to be here at Embry Riddle for a Normobaric Chamber test. lol, Jeff Gordon is gonna be here.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
<Censored> gordon has to go to his back up car.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Damn I dont remember hearing that. Its all about teamwork at the Daytona 500 which is nice to see since thats what it comes down to to win the race. Im going with Kyle Busch to win it this year.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Kyle Busch is a really good driver, I cant deny that. And besides your picking of Jeff Gordon is not biased at all! lol
I never said I was picking Jeff Gordon, I'm actually picking Carl Edwards so don't be putting words in my mouth, boy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%