Legendary coach Joe Paterno to retire at end of season

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Definitely bitter, keep trying to defend your former scumbag head coach.

BlueNation

Reaction score
Wow, kind of surprised they just fired him.
Exactly what I thought. For them to FIRE Joe Paterno there has to be so much more shit than we know of now. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that Joe Paterno would be fired.

This may but just me but I feel like so much attention has brought to Joe Paterno simply because he is such a big name and Sandusky, the AD, and VP are the criminals. I just can't think Joe Pa would ever do anyything bad like do you see this guy!?!?!? Which leads me to wonder how much he knew and if he had any reason to think Sandusky would do such a thing. Like he must have trusted him and maybe thought he only had to go to the AD so they could look into internally before making any accusations, which we know now are true, publicly.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think enabling a child rapist for 9 years justifies that. Go read the 23 page statement on Jerry Sandusky and all his victims and try not to throw up to see if you have a changed opinion, and aren't speaking as a Penn State student who looks at Paterno as a god.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Did one if not the best college football coach of all time actually just get fired? That's embarrassing this situation just got way worse I think. I could not even imagine being a Penn State fan right now I would be so angry.

This just makes you sick that such a good guy had to go out with this

BlueNation

Reaction score
Did one if not the best college football coach of all time actually just get fired? That's embarrassing this situation just got way worse I think. I could not even imagine being a Penn State fan right now I would be so angry
There are a lot bigger things to worry about as a Penn State fan. You really don't even have a foundation for a football program not to mention a school. Big time people in this school are wrapped up in this train wreck and it's a horrible image for the school in general.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I still don't see why can't Joe Paterno finish out the season. Doing this is much worse IMO. Might as well just cancel the rest of the season now for Penn State football. How can you just fire a legend, when he himself is innocent. The only thing he did wrong was not tell anyone, except for his boss who did nothing.

BlueNation

Reaction score
In no way am I trying to defending him but like I said he must have trusted Sandusky and if someone told you someone you knew well assaulted a young boy would you not second guess it until you knew for sure? You can't just accuse someone of such a thing on someones word, but it doesn't warrant not doing anything about it but he may have thought the AD would have handled it.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In no way am I trying to defending him but like I said he must have trusted Sandusky and if someone told you someone you knew well assaulted a young boy would you not second guess it until you knew for sure? You can't just accuse someone of such a thing on someones word, but it doesn't warrant not doing anything about it but he may have thought the AD would have handled it.
So you're telling me you wouldn't believe someone you work with that walked into your office, very distraught, who then went on to tell you he saw your former defensive coordinator in a shower naked with a 10 year old child you are going to think that he is lying? I find this very hard to believe..

And at the very least, you're still going to call the police, and tell them to look into it.. You can even tell them, you aren't 100% sure, but to make sure that no wrong doing is going on..

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Penn State is either going to bomb this week against Nebrasksa, or crush them

BlueNation

Reaction score
It is all just hearsay at that point. Before you go around pointing fingers you must investigate and yourself. It's so easy to make such decisions and say what is the right thing to do without being in the situation.
Why is this graduate assistant not being criticized? If he knew what he saw why didn't he go to the cops? Why did he go to Joe Paterno instead?

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would not second guess it at all...Child Molestation/Abuse isn't something people just bs about imo.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It is all just hearsay at that point. Before you go around pointing fingers you must investigate and yourself. It's so easy to make such decisions and say what is the right thing to do without being in the situation.
Why is this graduate assistant not being criticized? If he knew what he saw why didn't he go to the cops? Why did he go to Joe Paterno instead?
He is being criticized.. Everyone at PSU who knew, and didn't speak up is being criticized.. Obviously Paterno is going to get the bigger media play and be the center of attention, but people have already been fired.

But it is still a mystery as to why the graduate assistant, now WR coach still has his job..

BlueNation

Reaction score
I would not second guess it at all...Child Molestation/Abuse isn't something people just bs about imo.
Exactly why you can't just go on someones word. Like I said he saw what he saw, did it even need to go up to the chain of command? The cops should be the first people you go to... not the head football coach.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Okay, we know that he is also at fault here.. He clearly should have gone to the police, but he didn't. He went to his own father, and then they went to Paterno. Paterno now knows, and he has a responsibility to go to the police. But he went to the AD, and now he should be going to the police as well. But NOBODY did. Sandusky had 9 more years of potential victims because PSU officials, including Paterno, McQueary, Tim Curley, etc.. didn't go to the police.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The most disturbing part is that he didn't even stop Sandusky...If any of you can stomach the grand jury report then I have respect for you I couldn't even make it that far. It's a special place in hell for Sandusky and the WR coach is a coward.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They flipped a media truck, and police are spraying mace at Penn State campus.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Were people continuously informed about kids being assaulted? Or did they find out once, not say/do anything, and it reappears nine years later?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%