NBA Personnel Rank Top 30 PG's

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We asked 25 NBA folks -- a combination of executives, coaches and players -- to rank the point guards in the NBA from 1 to 30.

1. Russell Westbrook
2. Steph Curry
3. Chris Paul
4. Kyrie Irving
5. Damian Lillard
6. John Wall
7. Mike Conley
8. Kyle Lowry
9. Tony Parker
10. Jeff Teague
11. Derrick Rose
12. Goran Dragic
13. Eric Bledsoe
14. Ty Lawson
15. Rajon Rondo
16. Kemba Walker
17. Ricky Rubio
18. Jrue Holiday
19. Reggie Jackson
20. Deron Williams
21. Brandon Jennings
22. George Hill
23. Darren Collison
24. Brandon Knight
25. Isaiah Thomas
26. Patrick Beverly
27. DJ Augustin
28. Jarrett Jack
29. Mo Williams
30. Trey Burke
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12546025/nba-top-30-point-guards-nba

Make sure to read the capsules below each player as well. No MCW?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Deron and Hill are too high, Knight and Thomas are too low

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
deron williams is too high though.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wanted to try and argue a few of these, but this is a pretty good list.  Maybe have Collison higher.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I didn't realize Collison was going for 16 and 6 on 47% shooting. I guess the only real thing I could say about Collison is I think having a guy that is so bad at defending in a PnR in a PnR heavy game, that's got to have some sort of effect on his ranking and his teams overall effectiveness.

I don't think there is too much I can argue here. Maybe a few things. Like #15 and #16 could probably drop to #19 or lower, Brandon Knight is to low, etc.

Here's a potentially good debate. Brandon Jennings or Isaiah Thomas?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
if you drop rondo or kemba, who do you raise? i do think rondo is too high.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Beverly is too high, because he's on the list.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
if you drop rondo or kemba, who do you raise? i do think rondo is too high.
Rubio, Jrue, Jackson, maybe Collison and Knight.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Rubio, Jrue, Jackson, maybe Collison and Knight.
im curious as to why you'd raise jackson? a lot of people have cooled on him. i still want to give him time. new system, bigger role, still hasn't played a ton of games at home, but he's shown to have a good chemistry with players(mainly drums). he just still looks like he's trying to prove himself.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like where Reggie is at.

Knight is too low imo

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
im curious as to why you'd raise jackson? a lot of people have cooled on him. i still want to give him time. new system, bigger role, still hasn't played a ton of games at home, but he's shown to have a good chemistry with players(mainly drums). he just still looks like he's trying to prove himself.
I'm not a huge Jackson fan, some of it has to do with him and some of it has to do with the fact that I just don't like Rondo or Kemba. But in the case of Jackson, he's kind of starting to come into his own. He's played 16 games for Detroit, in the first eight he averaged 15.3 pts, 4.8 rbs, 6.8 asts, 3.3 turns, on 35.9% shooting with a net negative of -14 per 100 possessions. In his last eight he's averaged 17.0 pts, 4.9 rbs, 10.0 asts, 2.8 turns, on 44.6% shooting with a net positive of +3 per 100 possessions.

I mean I'm not huge on raw stats, but there's a huge difference in his first eight and his last eight, I think he's settling in. Then I look at him defensively, he's decent defending ball screens, probably around average, but he's fantastic defending on an island. His biggest negative is probably his inability to make the correct rotations and contest shooters, and he was really poor at it in OKC as well so I don't think it has much to do with him learning a new system.

I've gone through why I don't like Rondo, he was bad before the trade and finally people coming around on it (just a year or two to late) and for Kemba, he's easy. He's a scorer that shoots sub 40% from the field. Don't need to say much more than that.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I don't think the world of Kemba by any means but I'm pretty confident that I'd take him over Jackson

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I don't think the world of Kemba by any means but I'm pretty confident that I'd take him over Jackson
I'm interested in hearing why.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I just don't see Reggie as a true leader of a team. If I were building a team I'd take Kemba. They're honestly pretty even but I always default to the better shooter if nothing else. Some defensive metrics support Reggie and some support Kemba, both aren't incredible or terrible so that's probably a moot point.

I think Kemba is the better distributor despite Reggie's numbers in Detroit. Kemba's numbers have taken a hit A) because of his injury and B) because he's now sharing ball-handling duties with Lance. Kemba is just awful around the rim while Reggie is really good for a guard. But that jumper is ick. Looked improved last year but this year he's back to sub-.300

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%