Blatter not ruling out 2022 World Cup revote

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
FIFA president Sepp Blatter is having a hard time brushing away allegations that Qatar bribed two FIFA voters with $1.5 million each to back its successful bid for the 2022 World Cup that arose from evidence given to a Parliamentary hearing by the Sunday Times. The allegations sparked calls for a revote on the 2022 World Cup hosting duties that Qatar initially won by a considerable margin. At first, those calls seemed futile, but according to Blatter, it might not be an impossibility after all.
From our friends at Eurosport:
[Blatter] said: "This is an idea circulating already around the world which is alarming. But don't ask me now yes or no, let us go step by step. It's like we are in an ordinary court and in an ordinary court we cannot ask: 'if, if, if'."
Blatter, speaking in an interview at FIFA headquarters, added: "We are anxiously awaiting for these evidences or non-evidences in order that we can take the adequate steps.
"We will organise and the newspaper have agreed that we will bring this whistleblower here to Zurich and then we will have an investigation of this."
Yes, bring the whistleblower to the headquarters of the people he's whistleblowing against. There's no way that could possibly go wrong or end with him in a secret dungeon.
That aside, it's kind of amazing that Blatter isn't completely shutting down talk of a revote before it gets louder. Is it diplomatic lip service because he's days away from a re-election vote or is he genuinely considering a fresh vote if these allegations prove too strong to ignore? It's hard to say. But, again, the fact that he'd even humor the idea of a do over is notable in itself.

Source: yahoosports.com

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Sorry guys, shit house week, excuse me if I'm bumping old threads.

A re-vote doesn't do much. If it's proven that Qatar bribed officials, which, let's face it, they probably did, FIFA will have no choice but to redo the vote because every country that missed out would sue the absolute shit out of them.

Whilst it is nice to know Australia might get the World Cup it deserves (or the US for that matter), this re-vote is a band-aid fix. I think it is obvious that FIFA needs to be completely reformed. These bastards are killing our game.

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
Would be a bold statement from FIFA if they were to call for a re-vote, and i think that it's clear that Qatar was not a country picked on tradition or for their history in the sport.

My only issue with a re-vote is that tactical voting has probably been done since this voting process has began, so where does it all end? The 2018 bidding process was a mess as well with members of the committee wanting money in exchange for voting for Russia(I think).

i think a review from top to bottom of the voting process is needed before any re-voting is decided.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
USA and Australia were far superior bids for the World Cup. It was complete and utter bullshit.

The 1994 USA World Cup had the highest attendance of any World Cup. We have the best facilities, the most cities to accomodate all the people, and it would be relatively inexpensive. There is no reason why the USA shouldnt have gotten the World Cup over a country that is hot as hell, only have 1 major city and is the size of Maine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%