Simmons or Ingram?

Stray32

Reaction score
If you were an NBA GM with the #1 overall pick in this year's draft, who would you take?

Providing some DraftExpress info because I love their work, the Mike Schmitz video breakdowns (linked) are the best quick way to get a full idea of a prospect rather than going off reputation or a select few games you saw.

Simmons' strengths are listed as physical profile, transition play, basketball instincts, capable interior scorer. Physical profile meaning not just his size but also his elite across-the-board athleticism, which definitely contributes to his abilities in the other three strengths (each of which get broken down further in the video) but he also benefits from having unreal passing ability and vision/anticipation. His weaknesses are half-court scoringlengthmentality/red flags, and NBA role?. Imo the big thing holding him back is shooting, he absolutely has to fix his jumper and not be afraid to shoot, but I think that's very doable. He also needs to be more willing to be physical/constantly play defense but again I think that's very fixable at the NBA level. (DX scouting report/video breakdown on Simmons)

Ingram's strengths are listed as physical toolsoffensive versatilitydefensive potentialintangibles. Like Simmons he's got great quickness, doesn't have the same strength but has an elite reach/wingspan. His shooting ability opens up even more chances to slash and his length is a big advantage defensively, improving his ability to guard multiple positions and helping to cover for his mistakes. The fact that he's only 18, and generally regarded as high work ethic/character improve his upside that much more. His weaknesses are strengthcreating vs elite defense, and consistency on defense. He's very, very lanky right now so unsure exactly how much he can fill out but it's not only upper body but also lower body strength for explosiveness, which is a big part of why he struggled vs better defenses. Finally he, like Simmons, gets lazy at times on defense whether it's letting his man blow by him or not closing out or losing his man off the ball. (DX scouting report/video breakdown on Ingram)

Like I said with Simmons I think those things can be fixed easily at the next level if the player is willing. Beyond that, the big thing for Ingram is improving his strength and athleticism while for Simmons it's improving his jumper. I still think I'd take Simmons personally, but it's gotten a lot closer and DX named Ingram their #1 prospect.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ingram. As an LSU fan I hope Ben becomes the next big thing, but I don't see it. Overhyped. Lacks too much skill wise that's vital to be a star in this league and is lacking characteristics that makes one a star.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
This is gonna be a weak draft when looking back -- so I definitely want to move the pick

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
This is gonna be a weak draft when looking back -- so I definitely want to move the pick
I think it's an ok draft, I don't think you have any superstars if Ingram doesn't reach his potential but I think you have numerous guys who will be move the needle guys.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ingram

Solely based in his killer attitude..

He wants the ball.. He wants is in crunch time.. Ain't afraid to make the big play.. And even though he's KD frail.. He bangs (pause) and rebounds like a big

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Which Ben doesn't do, he shys away from contact most of the time.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I still don't know his true position.. Is it a 3 or 4?

LSU used him at the 4 right?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes, he was used at the 4. I think he has the body to play the 3 and 4, but defensively he didn't show he could stay in front of college wings so I don't know how you could expect him to do at in the NBA. His lack of shooting will really hurt a team if you try to play him on the perimeter as well.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
He's a good defender when he gives the effort on the perimeter, if you want an example look at him at the end of the hoop summit last year

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Problem with that is you won't get consistent effort out of him

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
I feel like Ingram is going to have to put on A TON of weight to play the 3. Yes, he has the height and defensive skills, but he's going to get bodied by most SFs currently in the league. If he's drafted, does he play the 2 to begin with and then transition over to the 3 with time? I think he's pretty comparable to Wiggins in this aspect.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Oh I agree. It wouldn't shock me if he just sleepwalked through his college season and then turned it on, but that'd still be alarming to me.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Oh I agree. It wouldn't shock me if he just sleepwalked through his college season and then turned it on, but that'd still be alarming to me.
I've heard that but I don't think it's really true. The guy seemed mentally weak to me, when things were good he was good. When things got tough he started pouting, playing carelessly, just being lazy, that sort of thing.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is another Drummond situation.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I am still confused as to why he decided to go to LSU. No offense nola, but that isn't exactly where you should be going to maximize your talents and make a statement for one season. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
His godfather was on staff, that's the only reason

Iceman

Reaction score
I would say Ingram as well.

Where do you think Buddy Hield ends up?

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
Iceman said:
I would say Ingram as well.

Where do you think Buddy Hield ends up?

5-7 range are all great fits for him. Highly doubt he slips past that. Most people have Murray either on his level or slightly above, and a lot of mocks that I've seen have Murray going at 5, and Hield going 6/7.

Iceman

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:

5-7 range are all great fits for him. Highly doubt he slips past that. Most people have Murray either on his level or slightly above, and a lot of mocks that I've seen have Murray going at 5, and Hield going 6/7.

So, who do the Suns take at 4?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
His godfather was on staff, that's the only reason
This. It's been confirmed he goes to Duke otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%