2017 MLB Postseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Crazy how Sports Illustrated called this 3 years ago and their cover boy is the MVP.  I'll agree with Mexi that the flooding gave the Astros an edge. It's something similar to the Saints winning the Super Bowl in 2009 and the Red Sox winning in 2013. Teams rally around the "____ Strong" mantra.

I'm disappointed we didn't get to see the Big City World Series but it's hard to dislike the Astros right now.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Last year the bar I was at in Florida gave out a bottle of champagne to each Cubs fan, there was about 80. We trashed the bar. Smart of them to wrap the locker rooms

AE. said:
Crazy how Sports Illustrated called this 3 years ago and their cover boy is the MVP.  I'll agree with Mexi that the flooding gave the Astros an edge. It's something similar to the Saints winning the Super Bowl in 2009 and the Red Sox winning in 2013. Teams rally around the "____ Strong" mantra.

I'm disappointed we didn't get to see the Big City World Series but it's hard to dislike the Astros right now.
Houston is the 4th biggest city in the US, that was a Big City World Series.

CoachAF

Reaction score
AE. said:

It definitely gave them something more to play for. There were so many great story lines and performances that went unnoticed. Beltran meant so much to this team with his leadership. If McCann isnt behind the plate all thru the playoffs, then we dont get past the Yankees. Period. Bregman's defense was shades of Brooks Robinson. The Starting Pitching depth is what got us through this World Series. I just cant believe it all right now. It's too much to handle. I can post more thoughts later. Right now I am running on like 1 hour sleep and I have to teach today. Gonna be a LOOOOOOONG day, but it was worth it. 

CoachAF

Reaction score
Mexi said:
But yes congrats to Houston.

The hurricane fucked up our season

They didn't even want verlander and he didn't want to go there. He waited til the very last second when Theo was out before he said yes

Hurricane momentum

Our team was better this series. A hurricane didnt beat you guys. Give credit where credit's due. It's tough to lose, but don't go down this road. It's dark and full of terrors. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Last year the bar I was at in Florida gave out a bottle of champagne to each Cubs fan, there was about 80. We trashed the bar. Smart of them to wrap the locker rooms

Houston is the 4th biggest city in the US, that was a Big City World Series.
I'm aware as I've been there enough times for work. Great city, very patriotic. But I meant the NY vs LA series.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
If you want to win a world series, just wear a patch that says insert city here strong

First Boston Strong

Now Houston Strong
Not for every case...

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:

9/11 didn't give the Yankees an edge.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yanks couldn't pull it off in 2001, but they got to the very end of Game 7.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
Yanks couldn't pull it off in 2001, but they got to the very end of Game 7.
I'm just saying it's not a real causation, just a coincidence.

Yankees have won the most World Series, but on the year of the most devastating terror attack in New York they don't win.  Can't really use the argument that tragedies empower teams.

Let's also look at the fact that the Boston Marathon was relatively small (devastating, but very small) and the hurricane in Houston was nothing like Katrina years ago.  At least the devastation I didn't hear about 24/7.  The media pulls stories from straw sticks.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I'm just saying it's not a real causation, just a coincidence.

Yankees have won the most World Series, but on the year of the most devastating terror attack in New York they don't win.  Can't really use the argument that tragedies empower teams.

Let's also look at the fact that the Boston Marathon was relatively small (devastating, but very small) and the hurricane in Houston was nothing like Katrina years ago.  At least the devastation I didn't hear about 24/7.  The media pulls stories from straw sticks.

Of course it's a coincidence. It's just fun to think that it's about a rally around the greater good.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:

Of course it's a coincidence. It's just fun to think that it's about a rally around the greater good.
I took you seriously on it.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I took you seriously on it.

Nah man. I do think the Astros felt a little responsibility to win for the city, but they were the best team in the AL before the hurricane hit. I did once joke the Patriots won the Super Bowl the same year of 9/11... but then the Patriots kept winning Super Bowls so, yeah.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coach said:

Our team was better this series. A hurricane didnt beat you guys. Give credit where credit's due. It's tough to lose, but don't go down this road. It's dark and full of terrors. 
you didn't play better

You just didn't play worse

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I understand what the results were, but that doesn't change my opinion.

Molitor got lucky. Twins will be bad again next year. Girardi built a sustainable team until he was fired.
Girardi didn't build anything.  He's not the GM

catman

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I understand what the results were, but that doesn't change my opinion.

Molitor got lucky. Twins will be bad again next year. Girardi built a sustainable team until he was fired.
If the Twins can get a couple of decent relievers and the kids they have ready to step into their rotation do their jobs, the Twins could win 90+ games next year and for the next few years after that.  Their window is wide open right now and they have to take advantage of it.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Girardi didn't build anything.  He's not the GM
He maintained it.

Paul Moliter got lucky. If it weren't for a second wild card team, he wouldn't even be in question for manager of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%