Jake Arrieta to the Phillies

catman

Reaction score
Good signing, IMO.  The Phillies could be a pretty good team in a couple of seasons if their kids can make the jump to the bigs.

CoachAF

Reaction score
I think this Phillies team could be a lot like the 2015 Astros. Nobody expected much from them, they were about a year away in most people's minds. They got off to a really hot start and held on for a WC spot. The Phillies have a solid rotation now with Arrieta at the top and an improving offense. I think the NL wild cards are a toss-up, and I am probably a year early on the Phils, but I think they got a shot at the WC

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:
I think this Phillies team could be a lot like the 2015 Astros. Nobody expected much from them, they were about a year away in most people's minds. They got off to a really hot start and held on for a WC spot. The Phillies have a solid rotation now with Arrieta at the top and an improving offense. I think the NL wild cards are a toss-up, and I am probably a year early on the Phils, but I think they got a shot at the WC
You compare everything to the Astros don't you?

CoachAF

Reaction score
It is the team I spend 95% of my time watching

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:
It is the team I spend 95% of my time watching
True, I know. I just hadn't heard anything else except "Astros are the best."

I'm not denying they are a great team by any means.

catman

Reaction score
By the time this contract expires, Arrieta may be the #3 pitcher on that team.

CoachAF

Reaction score
catman said:
By the time this contract expires, Arrieta may be the #3 pitcher on that team.

Very true. I just read thru the MLBTR breakdown of the contract. Here's what it says:

Arrieta will earn $30MM in 2018, $25MM in 2019 and $20MM in 2020, Jon Heyman of Fan Rag reports (links to Twitter).  Arrieta can choose to opt out of the deal after the second season, though interestingly, the contract also allows the Phillies to “void” the opt-out by picking up a two-year option that would extend the contract through the 2021-22 seasons.
Should the Phils override the opt-out, they would pay Arrieta a base salary of $20MM in each of the two additional years. But those option-year salaries aren’t fixed. Games-started escalators (presumably, based upon 2019 tallies) can boost the values by as much as $5MM, with the escalators beginning at 25 starts and maxing out if and when Arrieta takes the ball for a 31st time. He can escalate those salaries further by finishing in the top-five of the N.L. Cy Young voting in either 2018 or 2019; the annual rate on the potential extra years goes up by $5MM with a top-three finish or by $3MM if Arrieta finishes fourth or fifth.

That opt-out is an interesting deal. It gives the player the out he might want or forces the team to make a decision on extending. If he pitches well these next 2 years it could get him the 5 years he wanted from the start. If he pitches poorly, he at least gets his 3 years 75 mill

CoachAF

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
True, I know. I just hadn't heard anything else except "Astros are the best."

I'm not denying they are a great team by any means.

And you won't hear anything else. They were the best team last year from start to finish. They bring back the same guys plus Gerrit Cole. They should be the odds-on favorite to win it all. Media folks building up the Yanks and Indians are just adding fuel to their fire. This team wants more than one title. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:

And you won't hear anything else. They were the best team last year from start to finish. They bring back the same guys plus Gerrit Cole. They should be the odds-on favorite to win it all. Media folks building up the Yanks and Indians are just adding fuel to their fire. This team wants more than one title. 
We'll see.  You don't know the Yankees like I do.  You talk about winning, they have multiple dynasties to their names.

I just don't think we will see another repeat as good as the Astros are.  That hasn't happened since the 90's and baseball is different now.  Very hard to repeat and I think the Indians and Yankees are both right up there with the Astros.

the media doesn't build up the Yankees for nothing, believe me.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Funny that the best team from start to finish didnt even have the best record in their own league.

CoachAF

Reaction score
They have multiple dynasties? Hadnt heard. Have any Hall of Famers played for them? The Astros have 2. My dude.

The Indians had one of the hottest streaks in mlb history. No other team was at the top of their league longer than the Astros. #facts

Nowhere have I denied the Indians and Yankees as great teams or worthy opponents. All I do is proclaim the Astros greatness. You should believe it as well. They plowed through three of the most historic clubs last year on their way to a well deserved title. They have the same team, plus some. They are the favorites. The rest of the league can suck it. This team earned their respect. Its time hey started getting it.

I didnt start all this, but Ill gladly finish it.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
They plowed through the Yankees and Dodgers in 7 games each, that's for sure.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
This is basically a 2/$55 million deal IMO. He's not giving up what could be 3 years of control if he's pitching well

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
They plowed through the Yankees and Dodgers in 7 games each, that's for sure.
yu darvish world series mvp

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:
They have multiple dynasties? Hadnt heard. Have any Hall of Famers played for them? The Astros have 2. My dude.

The Indians had one of the hottest streaks in mlb history. No other team was at the top of their league longer than the Astros. #facts

Nowhere have I denied the Indians and Yankees as great teams or worthy opponents. All I do is proclaim the Astros greatness. You should believe it as well. They plowed through three of the most historic clubs last year on their way to a well deserved title. They have the same team, plus some. They are the favorites. The rest of the league can suck it. This team earned their respect. Its time hey started getting it.

I didnt start all this, but Ill gladly finish it.
We will see when the series starts, but as mentioned, they didn't exactly plow through the Yankees. They just barely beat them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%