*Worst Value Pick:

Finally, grade and/or discuss your teams draft:

*Ex: Biggest Reach

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
May not have had the best draft, but I think Denver did a great job of addressing their needs

I think Boston given their potential expectations to land a star really botched the draft.

Best value probably Deyonta at 31. Also the guys the Celtics got in the second were good.

Biggest reach was absolutely Thon

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I feel like the Celtics should have taken Jamal Murray. The last they needed was to draft a guy who they hope becomes the next Jae Crowder. They needed a guy who can actually, you know, put the ball in the basket. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also, I don't know jack shit about Sabonis, but OKC stunted on the draft. Oladipo is a clear upgrade to Waiters, and with the way the Thunder use Ibaka, there is barely any drop off from him to Ilyasova. In fact, he's a much better shooter than Ibaka, so he might be an even better fit. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:
I feel like the Celtics should have taken Jamal Murray. The last they needed was to draft a guy who they hope becomes the next Jae Crowder. They needed a guy who can actually, you know, put the ball in the basket. 
this still makes no sense

we have 1 SF, and 4 PGs/SGs pre-draft. Murray forces Boston to never play Rozier who they like a good bit and then in free agency probably overpay for a backup SF who sucks. In Danny Ainge's presser he stated that Brown shot around 38% from 3 in his senior year, and he shot really well in his workouts too. He made 3 less shots from deep than Murray did in the workouts with Boston, and reportedly outshot Ingram in a workout (I'll find that source again). He had a poor year at Cal but it literally was an awful system for Jaylen, and he much better fits what Boston will do.

Murray would have struggled defensively in Boston, and it appears to Ainge that Brown is a much better shooter than he's given credit for by the media. It was absolutely the right pick

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Best Draft: Phoenix
Worst Draft: New York

Best Selection: F Brandon Ingram, LAL (2)
Worst Selection: C George Papagiannis, SAC (13)

Best Value: G Dejounte Murray, SA (29)

Celtics grade: C+

The Brown pick was booed as much as the Porzingis pick was last year, and look how that turned out.

Other 1st rounders are basically stashes so who really cares? And our 2nd rounders were really solid (Jackson, Bentil)

Not a conventional draft, but it really was a solid outcome

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You think the Celtics were making decisions based on Terry Rozier being on the roster? Not sure why you and the Celtics are so attached to these marginal, role playing guards. They're replaceable. 

You and Ainge can base your projections on his senior year of high school (which has an even shorter three point line than college), a workout, and ignore his year against higher competition, but that seems like a mistake to me. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Porzingis was booed because the casual fan had no clue who he was. If you remember I was an advocate for him, really liked him. Brown was booed because he's just not that good and there were numerous better players and options available. Completely different scenario.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And even I'll admit, if Brown improves his jumper dramatically, it may be the right pick. But banking on that for a reason to pick him just doesn't seem logical.

The Celtics are also holding onto their "assets" too long, to the point where it's threatening their future trade value. What if Marcus Smart, in his third year, has another horrible shooting season? What if Jae Crowder plays more like he did in the second half last year (43% from the field, 29% from 3) than the first half? Value plummets. The Celtics are still in good shape due to those Brooklyn picks, but they are playing with fire.  

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Which team had the:
Best Draft: Philly. I wanted to go Denver but no matter what I think of Simmons he will still have a good NBA career, and I love the selections of the two Foreign wings in Luwawu and Korkmaz.
Worst Draft: Sacramento. I wanted to go Milwaukee, but they atleast seem to have a direction. Sacramento on the other hand, that was a directionless draft by a directionless organization. You could have picked a number of different guys, Chriss was still available, but instead you trade back and select a guy you probably could have gotten in the late first, especially when you already have Cousins, Cauley-Stein, and Koufos?

Best Selection: Jamal Murray at 7. Could potentially be the 2nd or 3rd best player and you get him at 7.
Worst Selection: Thon Maker. Lol

Best Value Pick: Deyonta Davis. Should have been a lottery pick imo. Memphis grabbing him at 31 was a great pick.
*Worst Value Pick: Look at Thon Maker.

Finally, grade and/or discuss your teams draft: I would give the Pelicans an A-. Would have preferred Murray, but I think Buddy will have a very good career and his shooting is an A+ compliment next to AD. Also like the Diallo trade, he's raw but a high reward player.

*Ex: Biggest Reach

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
And even I'll admit, if Brown improves his jumper dramatically, it may be the right pick. But banking on that for a reason to pick him just doesn't seem logical.

The Celtics are also holding onto their "assets" too long, to the point where it's threatening their future trade value. What if Marcus Smart, in his third year, has another horrible shooting season? What if Jae Crowder plays more like he did in the second half last year (43% from the field, 29% from 3) than the first half? Value plummets. The Celtics are still in good shape due to those Brooklyn picks, but they are playing with fire.  
I think Boston would struggle to get a rack of balls for Smart right now.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:
You think the Celtics were making decisions based on Terry Rozier being on the roster? Not sure why you and the Celtics are so attached to these marginal, role playing guards. They're replaceable. 
How do you still not get this? If you don't taken Jaylen Brown third, who the fuck is playing SF in the 2nd unit? Are you going to play Jae Crowder 45 minutes a game now? You can't just isolate one player -- you have to look at the entire team and evaluate their impact. Give me Brown and Rozier over Murray and RJ Hunter any fucking day of the week.

Suggesting that we made an awful choice, and that we should have taken the kid who went 7th is just stupid. It's not like he was the best player available by far, and we passed on him for a seemingly inferior talent. There's a reason Murray fell to 7th, there is a reason he went after Dunn and Hield. Maybe, for just once, you would get through your mind that an NBA general manager might know more about a player than some fucking kid in Ohio. 

Jaylen was clearly #1 on Boston's board and Jamal Murray was not. Murray was not the top option for Boston, Phoenix, Minnesota, Sacramento, or New Orleans, so idk why you bash the Celtics for not drafting him.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's no way Jaylen Brown is ready to contribute to a playoff team, so there's that. Not to mention good luck trying to play Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown together, that's an offensive nightmare. Or adding a guy like Evan Turned and a traditional center? Even if Brown does develop you likely can't play him and Smart together because of how poor they both are offensively.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And I guess I should mention there is this thing called FA where Boston could have picked up a SF to come off the bench for cheap that would be better than Jaylen right now anyway.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
And I guess I should mention there is this thing called FA where Boston could have picked up a SF to come off the bench for cheap that would be better than Jaylen right now anyway.
For cheap? Lmao.

Evan Turner is going to make $13M+. Allen Crabbe will make $11M+. The best "cheap" option is probably Matt Barnes, who is 36 years old. And no, he is not better than Jaylen Brown, who by the way is absolutely ready to play. He's not a starter, nor does he need to be one yet. I just truly find it hysterical that I keep on being told by people who have seen less than 15 games played by the Celtics this year about the style of play that I watched all year. Jae Crowder was a throw in to the Rondo deal who supposedly had a broken shot as well, and he's exceeded everyone's expectations -- so why can't Jaylen?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not talking about any of those guys. And I'm sorry but you're delusional if you think Jaylen Brown is NBA ready. Guy wasn't even a good college player compared to a lot of guys, struggled to understand basic defensive schemes in college. But you think he's gonna walk through the door day 1 and be ready to go? Please.

You really seem to make the worst comparisons. You had Porzingis this morning and a few other horrible ones over the last few weeks. Brown and Crowder aren't even comparable. Did Crowder surprise a little bit? Sure, but the majority of us knew that Crowder was a rotational player in the NBA, they just struggled to find a spot for him. They were trying to find minutes for him, as he played in 25 of Dallas's 27 games prior to the trade.

Maybe Boston will play Brown even though he isn't ready. They have a history of playing bad basketball players just because they were drafted high.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Heat. Best draft. Hands down. Bless Riley.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
How do you still not get this? If you don't taken Jaylen Brown third, who the fuck is playing SF in the 2nd unit? Are you going to play Jae Crowder 45 minutes a game now? You can't just isolate one player -- you have to look at the entire team and evaluate their impact. Give me Brown and Rozier over Murray and RJ Hunter any fucking day of the week.

Suggesting that we made an awful choice, and that we should have taken the kid who went 7th is just stupid. It's not like he was the best player available by far, and we passed on him for a seemingly inferior talent. There's a reason Murray fell to 7th, there is a reason he went after Dunn and Hield. Maybe, for just once, you would get through your mind that an NBA general manager might know more about a player than some fucking kid in Ohio. 

Jaylen was clearly #1 on Boston's board and Jamal Murray was not. Murray was not the top option for Boston, Phoenix, Minnesota, Sacramento, or New Orleans, so idk why you bash the Celtics for not drafting him.

So part of your rationale for drafting at #3 is that the Celtics couldn't take a guard because they like Rozier, a guy who was inefficient in college and a surprise pick at #16 last year, and because the Celtics need a back up SF as they look to maybe make it out of the first round next year?

I'm saying I would have taken Murray, in general I'm saying they should have taken someone who can actually score. In an era where shooting is as valuable as it's ever been, the Celtics continue to fill their roster with guys who can't shoot and struggle to put the ball in the basket. It's an interesting strategy, one I would not personally advocate. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I still think it was an upside pick, which is fine, my problem is guys like Kris Dunn and Jamal Murray have higher upsides. I'd even predict Buddy will have a better career.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Lol I'm done arguing this with you guys, who for weeks have told me I was stupid for mocking Jaylen Brown to Boston and that he definitely wouldn't be the pick, and now are bashing the pick for saying it was a bad decision. Maybe you're in the wrong here -- ever think of that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%