Gruden QB Camp: Cam Newton

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/20071/video-gruden-qb-camp-newton-sequel-2

If you guys wanna see a lil sneak peak of this episode here you go.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with his character, or him as a person, but I'm really coming around to Newton lately as a QB prospect... I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I like him more now than I did 4 months ago.

Mooche

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with his character, or him as a person, but I'm really coming around to Newton lately as a QB prospect... I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I like him more now than I did 4 months ago.
I was you probably about two months ago. I became way more open to his game, and I really think people are canceling him out and not giving him a fair shake at this time.

Do I think he is first overall worthy? No. Will it happen? Yes.

jrscfnk

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get grilled for this, but fuck it. I think a lot of the assumptions made about Cam are related to him being black.

I've seen a lot of people trying to compare him to people like Jamarcus Russell, which is completely retarded and isn't even close in either football ability and personality. I think if people had doubts about him and compared him to Tebow or Alex Smith, that would make sense, but I think that people have worded things in a way that pisses me off. If a guy like Dalton had played in a similar offense to Cam, they would say "he hasn't made pro reads yet." But with Newton, his intelligence is questioned outright.

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get grilled for this, but fuck it. I think a lot of the assumptions made about Cam are related to him being black.

I've seen a lot of people trying to compare him to people like Jamarcus Russell, which is completely retarded and isn't even close in either football ability and personality. I think if people had doubts about him and compared him to Tebow or Alex Smith, that would make sense, but I think that people have worded things in a way that pisses me off. If a guy like Dalton had played in a similar offense to Cam, they would say "he hasn't made pro reads yet." But with Newton, his intelligence is questioned outright.
Naw dude, I been saying this for a while. +1

Mooche

Reaction score

Ding, ding, ding.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I think his intelligence is questioned more because of the suspicions of cheating (or was it proven?) and the whole laptop thing than anything else

But I still love Cam

TTN2810

Reaction score
His intelligence is being questioned because he cheated on tests, and stole a laptop, scratched the name off it and put his own. That's just stupid lol.

And IMO, Mallett is being compared to Rusell more than Newton.

But beside the point, he is farther along than given credit for. But the question I have, is, Kaepernick and Newton are very similar, so why not just take Kaepernick later than Newton early? And we all know I think Kaepernick will turn out better in the end..but I'm sure most of you don't.

jrscfnk

Reaction score
His intelligence is being questioned because he cheated on tests, and stole a laptop, scratched the name off it and put his own. That's just stupid lol.

And IMO, Mallett is being compared to Rusell more than Newton.

But beside the point, he is farther along than given credit for. But the question I have, is, Kaepernick and Newton are very similar, so why not just take Kaepernick later than Newton early? And we all know I think Kaepernick will turn out better in the end..but I'm sure most of you don't.
The contexts in which I've seen his intelligence questioned have nothing to do with the off-field shit, it's about his ability to handle and offense. There's a big difference between immature arrogance and lacking the mental capacity to comprehend an offense, they're entirely different issues.

And the difference between Kaepernick is visible in a few areas. The importance of his personality and magnetism can't be downplayed in my opinion. He's shown the ability to handle huge amounts of pressure on many occasions, and his leadership skills are great. I think their arm strength is pretty comparable, and I tend to think Newton is a little more accurate.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Sure. I agree. If I'm going to give Mallett a chance off the field, I'll give Newton one too.

Have you mean seen Kaepernick talk off the field?
He seems like the nicest fucking guy ever lol.

But for me, Kaepernick is a lot smarter, GPA wise, and also handles pressure well, visible in the Boise game. They both have the size, arm strength goes to Kaep, accuracy to Newton, of course both are similar in both, but Kaepernick has almost as much potential, if not the same, and is a not a risky guy off the field at all. And sure they are different, but their general style of play is similar, and results could be similar, so if that is the case, I would take Kaep at 35 over Newton top 10 any day. Safer pick, with a similar player.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
I don't think its a black issue with Newton that much.

Mallett is white and getting treated worse then Newton is.

My whole problem with Newton, his offense was too simple. Can't he pick up and learn a pro style offense?
Seems kinda like one of them people whos all smiles when cameras are around, yet a dumbfuck and hardass when they're off.

My Prediction. Akili Smith.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm as critical of Newton as you, but I don't think he'll be what he can be, especially if he goes to the Panthers. And I'm telling you right now, he may start strong because of physical ability, but I think he'll fizzle down after.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm as critical of Newton as you, but I don't think he'll be what he can be, especially if he goes to the Panthers. And I'm telling you right now, he may start strong because of physical ability, but I think he'll fizzle down after.
*cough* *cough*

VINCE YOUNG.

jrscfnk

Reaction score
I don't think its a black issue with Newton that much.

Mallett is white and getting treated worse then Newton is.

My whole problem with Newton, his offense was too simple. Can't he pick up and learn a pro style offense?
Seems kinda like one of them people whos all smiles when cameras are around, yet a dumbfuck and hardass when they're off.

My Prediction. Akili Smith.
Except Smith was a horrendously lazy and complacent fuckface, and wasn't a good leader at all. He's admitted to that. Newton's a great leader and whatever issues you see with his pro game, that's fine, but their personalities and other intangibles are nowhere near comparable. Again, the concerns about not being involved in the right offense are valid, but it's not worded that way.

And Mallett's obviously hated by the media in a lot of ways, but that's different, that's just because he's perceived as an abrasive personality and overall just kind of a douchebag, a la Jimmy Clausen. Clausen was hated in the same way. His intangibles are questioned, but his intelligence is never questioned.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Sure, but if Mallett in fact is not addicted to drugs, I would rather have someone call my smile fake than say I'm addicted to coke.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Except Smith was a horrendously lazy and complacent fuckface, and wasn't a good leader at all. He's admitted to that. Newton's a great leader and whatever issues you see with his pro game, that's fine, but their personalities and other intangibles are nowhere near comparable. Again, the concerns about not being involved in the right offense are valid, but it's not worded that way.

And Mallett's obviously hated by the media in a lot of ways, but that's different, that's just because he's perceived as an abrasive personality and overall just kind of a douchebag, a la Jimmy Clausen. Clausen was hated in the same way. His intangibles are questioned, but his intelligence is never questioned.
Him and Smith are more similar though.

Limited starts in college, not the sharpest or smartest.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's tough to find a comparison for Newton because we really haven't seen a player quite like him physically. Vince Young maybe, but he wasn't as powerful of a runner, and he was also about 25-30 pounds lighter at this point in his career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%