Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
And it's not hard to come up with the calls at all.  Again, Myth
Wow, how are you not a big league manager!?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
brett05 said:
You either have it or not, but enough with this split and giving the NL advantages in head to head match-ups with the American League.
How does the NL have advantages? If they play in an AL park the AL has a clear advantage.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
How does the NL have advantages? If they play in an AL park the AL has a clear advantage.
i actually agree with brett on this tbh

in an AL park, its their normal lineup with the NL squad having their normal pinch hitter start. in an NL park, its their normal lineup with the AL squad losing a middle-of-the-order hitter and having your pitcher all but guaranteed to get out because they bat so infrequently

NL has the advantage

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I don't think it's as big as you say. You don't have that hitter for the entire game, but you also can pick your spot to plug him into any crucial at bat as a pinch hitter whenever you want.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Maybe its because I'm a Red Sox fan that I think of it so drastic

like for 2016 we had three guys that hit 30/100: Ortiz, Betts, and Hanley. That was your 3/4/5 with not a lot of power outside of those 3 (next biggest was Jackie Bradley ffs lol). So in an NL park, either Ortiz or Hanley were not in the lineup, and that takes away at least 3 at bats in a game to score runs. Sure he can pinch hit for one at bat before he's replaced by a pinch runner or fielder, but usually the AL's pinch hitter will be a more talented hitter than the NL's DH 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
i actually agree with brett on this tbh

in an AL park, its their normal lineup with the NL squad having their normal pinch hitter start. in an NL park, its their normal lineup with the AL squad losing a middle-of-the-order hitter and having your pitcher all but guaranteed to get out because they bat so infrequently

NL has the advantage

Could not disagree more. A guy pinch hitting probably sucks, or is a flat-out platoon player. Then that guy gets thrown in to a DH spot for inter-league play, meanwhile AL teams have somebody who is paid more to be that 9th hitter in the lineup. I dread watching the Mets go to an AL park because they'll throw someone like Brandon Nimmo in to the lineup. 

And a lot of times NL teams use interleague play to give a star a day off the field. That guy, a Cespedes for example, DH's and a mediocre hitter with a good glove takes their place. So yea, that NL team gets to improve their defense, but their lineup doesn't improve at all because they don't typically have that solid extra hitter available. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
but usually the AL's pinch hitter will be a more talented hitter than the NL's DH 

Exactly why the NL is not at an advantage. The NL DH hitter probably sucks. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd take my chances with a shitty hitter over a pitcher any day though.

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
Ratings for the MLB have been up significantly the last two years lol. Saw someone mention that and thought it was dumb

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The NL should go all the way and make it mandatory to have a position player pitch an inning every game

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
Ratings for the MLB have been up significantly the last two years lol. Saw someone mention that and thought it was dumb
I saw a news article on that, so it's not inaccurate.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
Not hard to figure that one out. Home runs. MLB juiced the world series balls, ratings shot up. It's science*.

*it's not really science.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
For some teams, yes, but MLB as a whole was down -6% in prime time ratings this season.

The World Series ratings were up last season because of the Cubs chase to end the curse and this season was a damn HR Derby. People would rather watch the long ball. Fact.

catman

Reaction score
If MLB really wants to have a true league, they will have the same rules for everyone.  The DH allows an aging popular player (like Albert Pujols or Jim Thome) to stay in the game a bit longer.  Having the DH in both leagues will allow more of these guys to stay in the game.
Now, if baseball spits into 3 divisions of 10 teams each, it will be necessary to have uniform rules across the sport.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
For some teams, yes, but MLB as a whole was down -6% in prime time ratings this season.

The World Series ratings were up last season because of the Cubs chase to end the curse and this season was a damn HR Derby. People would rather watch the long ball. Fact.
I think people appreciate no-hitters and power pitchers getting a lot of strikeouts just as much as homeruns, yet they are more of a rarity.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I think people appreciate no-hitters and power pitchers getting a lot of strikeouts just as much as homeruns, yet they are more of a rarity.
Not the fair weather folks and casual fans. Most people are drawn to contact and violence in any sport. In baseball, the most we get is Aaron Judge hitting a piss missle out of the park.

brett05

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I don't think it's as big as you say. You don't have that hitter for the entire game, but you also can pick your spot to plug him into any crucial at bat as a pinch hitter whenever you want.
the NL doesn't have to take a portion of their budget for a bat and can use it elsewhere when the AL team has to use a portion of the budget for the DH.  The advantage is ALWAYS with the NL.

brett05

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:

Could not disagree more. A guy pinch hitting probably sucks, or is a flat-out platoon player. Then that guy gets thrown in to a DH spot for inter-league play, meanwhile AL teams have somebody who is paid more to be that 9th hitter in the lineup. I dread watching the Mets go to an AL park because they'll throw someone like Brandon Nimmo in to the lineup. 

And a lot of times NL teams use interleague play to give a star a day off the field. That guy, a Cespedes for example, DH's and a mediocre hitter with a good glove takes their place. So yea, that NL team gets to improve their defense, but their lineup doesn't improve at all because they don't typically have that solid extra hitter available. 
This is so wrong.  You don't compare the bench guy the NL uses at DH to the AL DH, you compare him to the pitcher batting for the NL team.  That difference is WAY bigger than the AL team losing the DH for a pitcher.

brett05

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:

Exactly why the NL is not at an advantage. The NL DH hitter probably sucks. 
But not comapred to the pitcher which is why it is an advantage for the NL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%