Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We will be starting our 4th annual SI player rankings.  Last year the player rankings generated 388 responses, that's less than 8 responses per thread.  I'm hoping this year we get above 500.  Don't be afraid to share your opinion, whether it's a popular one or not.  We will once again be going 10 spots deep at all 5 positions.

Please remember these two things, please vote on the polls and vote for the best player, don't be a homer.  Most of the polls will be open 24 hours, but if the first place vote getter gets 5 or more votes than the second vote getter than I will close the thread if I'm around.

Remember, this is based on who is currently the best player, not who has the potential to be the best.  Who would you take today?

2014 SI PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Steph Curry
3) Russell Westbrook
4) Tony Parker
5) Rajon Rondo
6) John Wall
7) Kyle Lowry
8)
9)
10)

2013 SI PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Tony Parker
3) Russell Westbrook
4) Rajon Rondo
5) Kyrie Irving
6) Stephen Curry
7) Deron Williams
8) Mike Conley
9) Jrue Holiday
10) Ty Lawson

2012 SI PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Deron Williams
3) Rajon Rondo
4) Derrick Rose
5) Russell Westbrook

2011 SI PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Deron Williams
3) Derrick Rose
4) Rajon Rondo
5) Steve Nash

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Give me Damian. But damn these are tough lol. 
I feel like years prior to this, we had a fairly decent consensus for most of the picks. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm looking at Conley or Bledsoe, but may end up going with someone else. I don't know.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Are we counting Dragic as a PG or SG?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Lillard obviously. Though I think 9 & 10 could be close ones. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Lillard obviously. Though I think 9 & 10 could be close ones.
I think you have to place a premium on two way players. I mean sure Lillard put up 20.7 points a game, but he also only shot 42% from the field. Puts him at 19th highest effenciecy for starting PG's and 31st amongst all rotational PG's. Then you look at his defense, and it's BAD. I don't know if you give a guy brownie points for trying, but I would legimately rate him somewhere between 19 and 21 in terms of starting PG's in the league.

I also believe you have to place a premium on guys who can do multiple things. If Lillard is struggling to score, what else will he do for you? I know the solution for most if they can't hit from the outside is to get to the rim, but he shoots only 52.9% at the rim. Look at guys like Lowry at 59%, Jrue at 56%, Conley at 63%, Bledsoe at 67%, CP3 at 69%, Parker and Curry at 63%. So he cant really get to the rim and finish effectively. I have already touched on his defense, so if his shot isn't falling he isn't a guy you will be able to look at and say "at least he's still going to play great defense" like a Conley, Bledsoe, Holiday, Lowry, Westbrook, or Wall. Will he be able to get others involved with his distributing skills? His 21.3% assist rate is WELL below average for PG's and ranks him 28th amongst stating PG's. Only guys that were worse were Patrick Beverly and Brandon Knight. In the games in which he scored 15 or less points he only averaged 4.7 assists per. He wont even turn the opponent over because he only generates 0.78 steals per game, which is a dismal ranking of 22nd amongst 30 starters. He isn't even eligible for STL/TO or ST/PF. I know it doesn't mean much for a PG, but he doesn't rebound well for his position either, 19th amongst starters.

So that's my sell on Lillard. I know some people place a value on points, as do I, but like ive said on many different occasions PPG is just a raw stat that is meant for casual fans that doesnt reflect in how effectively a player us scoring and doesnt account for so many different factors. And I know people love the sexy play and Sportscenter highlights, but I cant even view him as a top 10 PG in the league currently.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I think you have to place a premium on two way players. I mean sure Lillard put up 20.7 points a game, but he also only shot 42% from the field. Puts him at 19th highest effenciecy for starting PG's and 31st amongst all rotational PG's. Then you look at his defense, and it's BAD. I don't know if you give a guy brownie points for trying, but I would legimately rate him somewhere between 19 and 21 in terms of starting PG's in the league.

I also believe you have to place a premium on guys who can do multiple things. If Lillard is struggling to score, what else will he do for you? I have already touched on his defense, so if his shot isn't falling he isn't a guy you will be able to look at and say "at least he's still going to play great defense" like a Conley, Bledsoe, Holiday, Lowry, Westbrook, or Wall. Will he be able to get others involved with his distributing skills? His 21.3% assist rate is WELL below average for PG's and ranks him 28th amongst stating PG's. Only guys that were worse were Patrick Beverly and Brandon Knight. In the games in which he scored 15 or less points he only averaged 4.7 assists per. He wont even turn the opponent over because he only generates 0.78 steals per game, which is a dismal ranking of 22nd amongst 30 starters. He isn't even eligible for STL/TO or ST/PF. I know it doesn't mean much for a PG, but he doesn't rebound well for his position either, 19th amongst starters.

So that's my sell on Lillard. I know some people place a value on points, as do I, and I know people love the sexy play and Sportscenter highlights, I don't even view him as a top 10 PG in the league currently.

Lillard's FG% is low, but it doesn't tell the full story.  The difference between shooting 42% FG vs. 49% FG for a player who shoots at his volume is one more made FG per game.  It's like the famous Bull Durham scene, one more hit per week takes you from .250 to .300 and puts you in the show.

Lillard was one 3PT away from being 40% 3PT with a very high volume of attempting them.  He hits efficiently from long range.  That shows a range that causes teams to defend the Blazers with a focus on that threat and is extremely beneficial to the Blazers' offense. 

To me, that is a much more telling stat than if he was 46% from the floor rather than 42%, which would equate to about two extra makes every three games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%