Darryl Strawberry: Doc Gooden is a "Complete Junkie-Addict" Now

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
- CBS Sports

Earlier this week former Mets star Dwight Gooden missed a scheduled WFAN appearance alongside former teammate Darryl Strawberry, leading to speculation that the former Cy Young winner was again using drugs. There were similar indications during ESPN's recently 30 for 30 sports documentary.

While speaking to John Harper of the New York Daily News, Strawberry called Gooden a "complete junkie-addict" in need of help. From Harper:

"He's a complete junkie-addict," Strawberry said. "I've been trying behind the scenes to talk to him and get him to go for help, but he won't listen. He thinks he can manipulate and BS his way through everything. His son called me to beg me to help his dad before he dies.
"The condition Doc is in, it's bad, it's horrible. It's like cocaine poison. I feel like I've got to get it out there because nobody else is doing anything to help him, and it might be the only way to stop him."

Janice Roots, a woman who lived with Gooden for four years, told Harper that Gooden has "morphed into a cocaine monster" since January 2014. Gooden's mother passed away in July and Roots says not many people showed up to the funeral, causing her to worry that Gooden doesn't have a good support system.

Gooden, now 51, made an appearance at Yankee Stadium last week for the team's 1996 World Series team reunion. He looked frail and underweight -- "I don't think he weighs 150 pounds soaking wet right now," Strawberry said to Harper -- which led to more speculation.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
sucks to be a junkie head

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Thankfully I've never known anyone with a serious drug addiction. Can't imagine what that's like.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
its terrible but im a different breed and shrug it off. i realize they likely will never change. they may substitute drugs for god(not like thats a bad thing), but they still have a new addiction.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I know Darryl has been ok for a while now, I don't even think he's that religious. He still had a solid career. I think Dwight lives every day with the regret of fucking up his career due to drugs, so naturally he falls back to it. Really fucked up though seeing pictures of him like 5 years ago and today. Amazing how much it changes you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%