Rumors/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Defenseman Dan Hamhuis reconnected with an old friend Monday, and the Penguins hope it was the resumption of a beautiful relationship.General manager Ray Shero spoke directly with Hamhuis, whose rights were acquired last Friday in a trade with Philadelphia at the NHL Entry Draft. Shero was the assistant general manager with Nashville when Hamhuis was drafted in 2001.

"This (conversation) was all about expressing what we have here, why he's a good fit, why he's a guy we'd like to sign," Shero said, adding that numbers and term for a potential contract were not discussed with either Hamhuis or his agent.

"At the same time it was about hearing from Dan, and I told him it has to be a good fit for us as well. It's important for me that players want to be here in Pittsburgh. I told him that if over the next day or so he wants to move forward with that - well, let's talk."

Shero said he is flexible with signing Hamhuis, 27, to a long-term deal. Hamhuis' agent, Wade Arnott, said he expects to talk with Shero today.

There is little flexibility regarding defenseman Sergei Gonchar, whose agent is seeking a three-year deal.

Shero's policy is not to divulge details of contract negotiations.

Gonchar's agent, JP Barry, confirmed last week that his three-year proposed term on a new contract is a sticking point. Also, Gonchar has not publicly said he will take less than the $5 million annual salary he was paid the past five seasons.

The Penguins' projection for available salary-cap space is around $11 million for next season. Most of that would be committed if Hamhuis and Gonchar sign before July 1.

Barry described negotiations, which included a couple of conversations yesterday, as "brass tacks" time. Shero reiterated that "nothing's dead" regarding Gonchar, but added, "We don't have a deal, either."

"We're pretty set on what we can do," Shero said. "We know that. The agent knows that."

No deadline has been imposed by the Penguins for any of their free agents, and Shero is "trying to keep everybody in the loop." He spoke yesterday with agents for right wing Bill Guerin and defenseman Mark Eaton, and over the weekend with defenseman Jordan Leopold's agent.

He didn't rule out retaining any player after the market opens, but if a player reaches Thursday he wouldn't hold out hope for that player returning.

"We've had one stroke of luck with that (situation), and that was with (defenseman) Brooks (Orpik)," Shero said, referring to the 2008 offseason.

STLZACH

Go Blues!
Reaction score
Via ESPN Insider. This is why I pay no attention to ESPN's hockey coverage.

There was speculation over the weekend that David Backes could hit the trade market, since he's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. The Globe and Mail's James Mirtle wrote that Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke may be interesting, adding that Backes' "toughness certainly meshes well with Burke's philosophy."

However, while the Blues and Backes haven't had negotiations since the offseason, the Blues clearly want to get Backes re-signed. So ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun previously wrote, "If I'm a betting man, I believe the Blues will pick up the phone again in 2011."

But Backes could demand a huge contract -- maybe upwards of $5 million a year -- in which case the Blues might re-think whether they want to pay him the money. If so, the Blues could listen to offers for Backes. However, given how much they value the power forward, they may even overpay to keep him.
This is retarded. Backes is the future Captain of this team, like, by the end of the year. I can't believe they would even post this as a possibility.

The worst-case scenario for the Colorado Avalanche is that goalie Craig Anderson will be out long-term, leaving them with Peter Budaj and John Grahame in goal for the season. In that case, we have to think the Avs will make a move to stabilize the crease.

So the Denver Post's Adrian Dater wonders if, in the scenario, the Avs make a pitch for Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas.

Now, Thomas has been absolutely brilliant this season, but the Bruins would probably jump at the chance to dump Thomas' $5 million cap hit which goes until 2013. However, the Avs probably don't want take on that kind of financial commitment -- especially since Anderson is set to be an unrestricted free agent next summer, and the Avs don't want to be stuck with two highly-paid goalies.
I'll speak on this after this next one.

Alexander Semin could go on the trade market this season because he's an unrestricted free agent next summer, and he could net a strong return for the Washington Capitals' playoff run. And as ESPN.com's Scott Burnside writes, "I wonder if the Caps will try to find a match with a team that could provide the Caps with strong assets for a Cup run."

And one potential suitor is the Los Angeles Kings, who have been searching for an elite forward for a while. Burnside writes: "With their deep blue line and veterans like Ryan Smyth on the roster, Los Angeles comes to mind."

The Kings might also target Brad Richards in the trade market, if it comes to that. But if the Kings aren't contenders this year, they'd essentially be trading for extended negotiating rights to both players. If they don't get them re-signed, they would lose them via free agency. So the Kings may opt to wait until free agency and make strong bids on those guys, without losing anyone via trade. However, the Kings would do well to dump a guy like Smyth, because it would free up cap room for the RFAs Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson, both of whom the Kings want to keep.
Ok. ESPN has literally lost it's mind. Sure. Ryan Smyth is a great leader. Whatever. It's not worth Semin. They would have to give up some of those amazing defensive prospects they have to get Semin. Or draft picks along with it.

Now, about the Thomas deal. Peter Budaj will be a sufficient goalie until Anderson returns. The Avalanche wouldn't give up one of their assets for a goalie when Anderson is coming back. A team like Washington, Tampa Bay (maybe), or Philadelphia would be more interested in Thomas.

ESPN, go die.

b ran

Reaction score
Now, about the Thomas deal. Peter Budaj will be a sufficient goalie until Anderson returns. The Avalanche wouldn't give up one of their assets for a goalie when Anderson is coming back. A team like Washington, Tampa Bay (maybe), or Philadelphia would be more interested in Thomas.

ESPN, go die.
we got bobrovsky. <Censored> tim thomas

STLZACH

Go Blues!
Reaction score
Agreed. A previous Vezina winner is better than an unproven rookie that came out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%