2017 NBA Draft Prospects Thread

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Personally, I don't love Ball all that much -- for similar reasons that I didn't love Jamal Murray from this past draft (which is well documented)

• Overly reliant on shooting game 
• Unorthodox shooting form
• Weak defender that will be exposed in the P&R

He's a good passer, better than Murray -- but its almost Rondo-esque that he often tries way too hard to put up a big play rather than the right play. Part of that is attributed to playing with his talented brothers in high school and having no real challenge 

His height definitely helps his game, but his smaller frame will definitely make him struggle. There have been several of these types of players in the college game over the past 10 years ago, ranging from Steph Curry to Jimmer to Ali Faroukmanesh lol. Curry is the exception to the group, not the normality, and I feel like Ball is the type of player that if his shot stops falling (definitely possible with the more physical NBA game) that he's at that point relegated to a bench role. His poor defense can only be supplemented by a good offensive game, and his style of play seems flukey.

But look I'll be honest, I wasn't huge on Steph Curry coming out of the draft and thought he was overdrafted -- I can absolutely be wrong on Lonzo Ball here, but that's just my opinion. Ball's got a sizable bust factor, where as Fultz or Smith are a lot safer guys with high upsides to their own

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I'm going to try to ignore that you compared him to a guy who scored 10 points a game for Northern Iowa and respond to that in a little.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
That part was a joke lol

wasn't joking about similarities to jimmer tho. but mostly same reasons i didnt like jamal

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I think your assessment of his game is way off. He's not at all reliant on his jumper as an offensive player. It's something he falls back on in iso situations late in the shot clock, but I've seen plenty of UCLA games where he's not shooting at all and extremely effective.

He's the best passer to come out in a while. Better than Simmons, in fact. Saying he's "Rondo-esque" implies that he just dominates the ball and probes around waiting for somebody to get open, which couldn't be further from what Ball does. If you watch UCLA play, you'll see an absolutely beautiful, free-flowing offense that's spearheaded by Ball at the point. He's an incredible passer, and despite his size, has a really good quickness about him. He's also not a liability defensively by any means, I'm not sure where you're pulling that from.

He's been compared plenty to Jason Kidd and the comparisons are definitely real. Obviously that's a high ceiling, but that is his ceiling. At this moment, I'd take him over both guys you mentioned, but I've seen way more of him than the other two. (I've been high on smith and I'll see him tonight, Fultz I've seen only once or twice because Washington basketball is irrelevant)

Paulius

Reaction score
In todays day and age and how the game had evolved , let me get a guy whose ceiling is kyrie irving vs a guy whos ceiling is jason kidd

Fultz fits better in how guards are these days

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
For now

It was a consensus Jah/Mudiay at this point two years ago

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Personally, I don't love Ball all that much -- for similar reasons that I didn't love Jamal Murray from this past draft (which is well documented)

• Overly reliant on shooting game 
• Unorthodox shooting form
• Weak defender that will be exposed in the P&R

He's a good passer, better than Murray -- but its almost Rondo-esque that he often tries way too hard to put up a big play rather than the right play. Part of that is attributed to playing with his talented brothers in high school and having no real challenge 

His height definitely helps his game, but his smaller frame will definitely make him struggle. There have been several of these types of players in the college game over the past 10 years ago, ranging from Steph Curry to Jimmer to Ali Faroukmanesh lol. Curry is the exception to the group, not the normality, and I feel like Ball is the type of player that if his shot stops falling (definitely possible with the more physical NBA game) that he's at that point relegated to a bench role. His poor defense can only be supplemented by a good offensive game, and his style of play seems flukey.

But look I'll be honest, I wasn't huge on Steph Curry coming out of the draft and thought he was overdrafted -- I can absolutely be wrong on Lonzo Ball here, but that's just my opinion. Ball's got a sizable bust factor, where as Fultz or Smith are a lot safer guys with high upsides to their own
How have things changed since this post and with the first few days of the tourney?

I personally don't watch a ton of college ball but I am familiar with most of the top prospects and in the past few weeks I have watched UCLA play a few times and have been extremely impressed with Lonzo each time. He doesn't really jump out but he looks so calm and composed when he's playing, as if he were a senior. He seems like an extremely intelligent player that will figure things out and be able to run an offense as well as anyone. 

I don't really know much about Fultz other than what I've seen from some highlight tapes and that's just not enough to make a judgement

Paulius

Reaction score
I didnt even see that post

Some shits wrong anyway, lonzo as jamal murray? What lol

Smaller frame?? 6'6 Long, athletic PG......whos gonna stop him? IT4? Lol

He actually doesnt rely on the shooting game...And especially not as much as jamal does...

Hes also not gonna be steph curry or jimmer lol

Shits off af, watch him play instead of reading nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm at the point where if I was a GM I would pass on Ball just because of his dad.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
even with his father issues, he still should be taken top 5

ball, fultz, jackson, tatum, and smith

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%