Yankees Acquire Sonny Gray

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score

Sonny Gray will be traded to the Yankees, tweets Jack Curry of the YES Network.  According to Yahoo’s Jeff Passan, outfielder Dustin Fowler, infielder/outfielder Jorge Mateo, and righty James Kaprielian are the prospects headed to Oakland in the deal.  In addition to Gray, the Yankees will receive $1.5MM in international bonus pool money, adds Passan.

Gray joins a Yankees rotation that lost Michael Pineda to Tommy John surgery this month, but added Jaime Garcia in a trade with the Twins. With C.C. SabathiaMasahiro TanakaLuis Severino, and Jordan Montgomery also in the mix, it’s possible the Yankees will consider a six-man rotation. Another option would be to move Montgomery to the bullpen, which would also serve to limit the rookie’s innings.

Gray, 27, was drafted 18th overall by the Athletics in 2011 out of Vanderbilt. He excelled from 2013-15, posting a 2.88 ERA over 491 innings. 2016, however, was a lost year for Gray as he endured DL stints for a strained right trapezius as well as a forearm injury. This year, Gray is back on track with a 3.43 ERA in 16 starts, as well as his best strikeout rate since his rookie year. Gray, who is listed at 5’10”, is one of the most successful starting pitchers of this height since the Dead Ball Era, to this point in his career.

Per MLBTR

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Yankees didn't have to give up as much as I thought they would. Great pickup for them. Would really suck to be an A's fan

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Im really happy right now with this

The Yankees are really good right now and I hate them for it. I havent had this feeling about NYY in like 8 years

I want to see a Sox/Yankees matchup like 2003-2007 was played again. That made me love baseball

Thomas-Panda-Saxby

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Im really happy right now with this

The Yankees are really good right now and I hate them for it. I havent had this feeling about NYY in like 8 years

I want to see a Sox/Yankees matchup like 2003-2007 was played again. That made me love baseball
2004 NYY-BOS made me love baseball as well

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
90 loss orioles teams made me love baseball

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yankees-Red Sox matchups make me hate baseball 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The fact that I actually know who Sonny Gray is really says something for how far I've come in terms of baseball fandom.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yanks actually have a likeable team right now. They're fun to watch

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Yankees are in first place in the AL East, have a top 3 farm system, and boats of $$$ with almost all of those old bum ass vets no longer under contract (Looking at you Ellsbury)

Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers baseball's biggest markets all loaded with young talent. Should be a lot of fun to watch play out over the next few years. Hopefully they can all help grow the game

DPistons1234

Reaction score
Their needs to be a salary cap in baseball.  Because the teams that dont ever spend will never spend.  My Twins never do a damn thing but sell its players for specs that NEVER make it to the bigs and contribute,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%