Stanton vs Ohtani

Which one would you rather have?

• Total voters

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
The only reason at all to not take Stanton in this debate is his contract. I dont know who this Ohtani character is, and it doesnt matter. Its a very simple debate:

Are you okay with paying Stanton $25-32M every year until hes 39 years old? If yes, then you take Stanton. If no, then you take Ohtani by default.

I would love Stantons bat in Boston. I wouldnt go near that contract if my life depended on it. Like were always complaining about our poor contracts for Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Hanley Ramirez, David Price, Pablo Sandoval (whom were still paying right now)... Giancarlos deal is infinitely worse than those guys

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Fair, but who is still the more proven commodity. If you're a contender, I don't get how you can take Otani over Stanton. Even if his defense sucks, you can still DH him if you're an AL team. He'd rake in Boston or NY.
But that's not how the question was worded. Brewcrew posted this specifically to see if people would go with the cheaper option over the proven commodity.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
The only reason at all to not take Stanton in this debate is his contract. I dont know who this Ohtani character is, and it doesnt matter. Its a very simple debate:

Are you okay with paying Stanton $25-32M every year until hes 39 years old? If yes, then you take Stanton. If no, then you take Ohtani by default.

I would love Stantons bat in Boston. I wouldnt go near that contract if my life depended on it. Like were always complaining about our poor contracts for Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Hanley Ramirez, David Price, Pablo Sandoval (whom were still paying right now)... Giancarlos deal is infinitely worse than those guys
Exactly. Question wasn't who is the better player, it's who woukd you rather acquire. A lot of factors. Most of the time the popular decision isn't the smartest decision.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Fair, but who is still the more proven commodity. If you're a contender, I don't get how you can take Otani over Stanton. Even if his defense sucks, you can still DH him if you're an AL team. He'd rake in Boston or NY.
The Yankees have power. Judge is a younger, better version of Stanton.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Ohtani, easily. He's in IFA cap, and most you would spend is the $20M fee to negotiate. Not a bad deal AT ALL. 

Definitely better than paying Stanton & giving up prospects for him. 
Didn't look at it as what you'd give up to get, just looked at the talent available.  We know Stanton as a player, but Ohtani could easily be a bust at the MLB level.  He's probably not, but you just never know.  He's not proven.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

How is it worse?  Carl Crawford and Pablo Sandoval were overrated, that's what made them bad.  Hanley and Beckett weren't much better.

But the Price deal was actually good IMO.  Not great, but good.  He's a proven pitcher and I would never take back that deal.  You overpay for talent like that sometimes.  You don't overpay for Rick Porcello or Julio Lugo, but you can overpay for proven guys.  I'll stand by the David Price deal.  

And I would stand by a deal for Stanton, though I don't think any player should make more than $25 million a year.  That's insane.  But I'd still rather pay one of the best players a lot of money than overpay a mediocre player who doesn't have a high ceiling.  Age would obviously be a deciding factor, but money for talent straight up, I'd do it.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Didn't look at it as what you'd give up to get, just looked at the talent available.  We know Stanton as a player, but Ohtani could easily be a bust at the MLB level.  He's probably not, but you just never know.  He's not proven.
"Which one would you rather your team get"

If it's based on talent this is a stupid topic.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
How is it worse?  Carl Crawford and Pablo Sandoval were overrated, that's what made them bad.  Hanley and Beckett weren't much better.

But the Price deal was actually good IMO.  Not great, but good.  He's a proven pitcher and I would never take back that deal.  You overpay for talent like that sometimes.  You don't overpay for Rick Porcello or Julio Lugo, but you can overpay for proven guys.  I'll stand by the David Price deal.  

And I would stand by a deal for Stanton, though I don't think any player should make more than $25 million a year.  That's insane.  But I'd still rather pay one of the best players a lot of money than overpay a mediocre player who doesn't have a high ceiling.  Age would obviously be a deciding factor, but money for talent straight up, I'd do it.
All this.

$25M per and it’s practically for nothing more than one homer in every 12 ABs. Miami could make a slight argument that his deal was to make him the face of the franchise for a decade but obviously going to a NY or Boston... that’s not necessary.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
After seeing who this Ohtani character is for 3 seconds, im going with option c of signing neither

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Globe reporting the Sox & Stanton Trade talks “heating up”. Take with grain of salt but not at all surprised to see Dombrowski as aggressive as he is known for. Something I just thought about is the leadership Stanton would bring to Boston’s clubhouse. I know Pedroia thinks he’s the leader but just being there for a long time doesn’t make you the team’s leader. What Giancarlo brought to work after Jose died is something the Sox could really use in the post Papi era.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%