2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coach said:
Hes a first ballot HoFer but he has his warts. The media wont admit it, but it does warrant mentioning every now and then. I just saw that tweet and chuckled a bit. Thought Id share
he does have warts too

catman

Reaction score
Boras has denied the Sox offer is accurate.  He won't say what has been offered, however.  
This year's free agents are not going to get the $$$ that they would have last season.  The Dodgers and Yankees are not playing, so the really big money is not in the market.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Add to that theres like 7 or 8 teams that are actively trying not to win and its a bad recipe for free agents.

Passan i think added a story the other day that mentioned it might be time to look at changing the whole financial structure of the game. Get rid of the whole arbitration process. It was a bold idea, and just might be worth looking into.

catman

Reaction score
Not sure the arbitration process needs to go away.  It might need some tweaking, but it still is a good thing.  Clubs have control over their players for 6 years -- 3 years pre-arb and 3 years of arbitration.  If they are really good, and the team can afford to pay them what they are worth, they will likely stay with their initial teams.  
This said, it appears that the day of players staying with one team throughout their careers may be over, except in certain specific cases.  Players move around, unfortunately.

CoachAF

Reaction score
catman said:
Not sure the arbitration process needs to go away.  It might need some tweaking, but it still is a good thing.  Clubs have control over their players for 6 years -- 3 years pre-arb and 3 years of arbitration.  If they are really good, and the team can afford to pay them what they are worth, they will likely stay with their initial teams.  
This said, it appears that the day of players staying with one team throughout their careers may be over, except in certain specific cases.  Players move around, unfortunately.
The argument against it was that players were reaching FA at age 30 and later giving teams pause in signing them to long term deals. It makes sense but I dont know how you fix it unless they shorten it

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
catman said:
Boras has denied the Sox offer is accurate.  He won't say what has been offered, however.  
This year's free agents are not going to get the $$$ that they would have last season.  The Dodgers and Yankees are not playing, so the really big money is not in the market.
Of course he denies it. He needs to maintain this false perception that his guy is worth $200M. If team's believe the Sox offer is a round $100M they're not going to offer anything close to what he wants.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Coach said:
The argument against it was that players were reaching FA at age 30 and later giving teams pause in signing them to long term deals. It makes sense but I dont know how you fix it unless they shorten it
I'm not sure it has to be changed. teams need to just rule out giving players more than 5 years unless the player is a fucking superstar. And I think we're starting to see that.

Give it a few years and agents will start to get it.

CoachAF

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I'm not sure it has to be changed. teams need to just rule out giving players more than 5 years unless the player is a fucking superstar. And I think we're starting to see that.

Give it a few years and agents will start to get it.
I tend to agree with you. There needs to be a correction to the market. The big problem right now is the high number of tanking teams.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The luxury tax will help. It already is making an impact, actually.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Interesting trend the last 2 years in ERA by league. The gap has been closed. Not sure why, but it is something to keep in mind when evaluating pitchers who made a league switch this off-season.

Attachments

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:
Interesting trend the last 2 years in ERA by league. The gap has been closed. Not sure why, but it is something to keep in mind when evaluating pitchers who made a league switch this off-season.
Year round interleage play a factor?

CoachAF

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Year round interleage play a factor?
Thats been around for the duration of the years on that table. I think that sabermetrics is the most likely reason. All of the shifting and framing data being used has neutralized, to an extent, the DH difference.

It also could just be a freak occurrence. It. Oils just as easily go back to the normal 0.2 difference

brett05

Reaction score
I think it's just the overall strength of the AL vs the NL.  It also was a plus when the AL got the Astros while the NL got the Brewers.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think it says anything and I don't think there's a gap.  It's just how it came out statistically.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/954466538538651648

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Okay, we can get baseball going now. How many major FAs will remain unsigned with pitchers & catchers reporting in just over 30 days from now? Feels like we're approaching some kind of record.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Man. I don't really like changing the chest logo. It's been like that forever.

The bigger cap logo might be alright, but I gotta see it on the field or in person.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
Man. I don't really like changing the chest logo. It's been like that forever.

The bigger cap logo might be alright, but I gotta see it on the field or in person.
im fine with it. we've had the same hat D since the 60s and it became a thing in like 1902. might as well match the two. i didnt like the fat D at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%