NFC North Discussion

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Post whatever division-related news or rumors you want to discuss.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Raiola took a paycut to stay with the team basically.
He is so bad >_>

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
For the last two years, Cliff Avril has worked on one-year contracts. And while he said he was close to working out a long-term deal with the Lions last year, the soon-to-be free agent defensive end said he’s not sure how much longer he’ll be there.

Avril told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press that he’s had minimal contact with the Lions, after they decided not to use the franchise tag on him for a second straight year.

“[This week will] give me a good idea of what’s going on, if I’ll be here or if I’ll be gone,” Avril said. “This week will definitely gauge that, I guess.”

The lack of contact could easily be viewed as a sign, especially at a time when Avril is one of the top available options at a need position.

Though Michael Johnson and Anthony Spencer were tagged, the 26-year-old Avril goes into a market with players such as Paul Kruger and Michael Bennett and older players such as Dwight Freeney, John Abraham and Osi Umenyiora.

Avril had 9.5 sacks last year, a solid follow-up to his 11 the year before. And while it’s time to get paid, he also said too much was made of the suggestion he wantedMario Williams money, saying he was simply agreeing with a suggestion rather than requesting it himself.

“I didn’t say I wanted Mario Williams money, I’m like, ‘Who wouldn’t want his money?’ ” Avril said. “The guy asked me, ‘Mario made this amount of money, is that something [you'd want]?’ I’m like, ‘Shoot, wouldn’t you want it? Who wouldn’t want that deal?’ But people take it further than that.”

In the next week, he’ll know if the Lions want to give him Cliff Avril money, or whether he’s going to have to use part of someone else’s to move.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Avril is very underrated, and the Lions defense really struggled last year. They really ought to hang on to the strong pieces they have. Do they really plan on going into next season with two brand new DEs around Suh and...shit, what's his name, the kid from Auburn?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Vikings ready to go green in the middle

The genesis of Mike Singletary's hall of fame career came in 1981, when he became the Chicago Bears' middle linebacker for nine games of his rookie season. Over 172 regular-season (and 12 playoff) games, Singletary became the command center of the Bears' iconic defense, his eyes seemingly burning out of his helmet as he directed the "Monsters of the Midway."

But asked what he remembers about running the Bears' defense as a young player, Singletary simply replied, "Being very frustrated."

"(It was) just trying to learn it all, just trying to not make mistakes, not trying to slow the defense down," he said. "The development of the middle linebacker is really predicated on how fast he can assimilate information and get the defense going. If he slows down, it slows everybody else down. You don't want to start looking at you and saying, 'Hey, can you do this or not?' "

It is into that role that the Vikings could thrust a young player during the 2013 season. They re-signed Erin Henderson to play the weak-side linebacker spot, and coach Leslie Frazier said Sunday, April 7, that the Vikings will not look to move Chad Greenway from the strong side, where he has made two consecutive Pro Bowls, to the middle linebacker role.

Unless the Vikings, who currently have $4.4 million left under the salary cap, sign a veteran linebacker, they will head into 2013 with either a rookie or a seldom-used linebacker (Audie Cole or Marvin Mitchell) manning the middle of their defense.

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
I'm very excited to see what the Vikings are going to do at MLB.  It's one of my favorite positions on the Defensive side of the ball and the Vikings have been lacking at the position for many years now, sure EJ Henderson was good at what he did which was stopping the run but his coverage abilites weren't the best.  I just hope that the Vikings make the right move in another 2 weeks.  I may be really happy come draft day as I have my eye on 2 prospects (Ogletree & Brown) Though I have a feeling Te'o will be who we end up with.  Spielman loves players from Notre Dame and Manti would fit right in with that.  Overall just getting very excited for the Draft

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
What's up with Marshall saying all the crap he did about the Lions and the city of the Detroit? Seemed a bit too much to me. 

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's butt hurt lol. Called us little brother after we sweeped the season series. Idiot.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
My favorite part is how he brought up that it wouldn't end the same way, when we meet in the playoffs. I didn't realize that Chicago was making the playoffs. I'm sure they will do fine without Cutler and now Charles Tillman.

If he said similar things, and the Bears had swept the season series, it would sound more like bragging about how much better the Bears are. Instead, it's being a sore loser. I know he doesn't like us and all, but I think a big part of his anger was because Cutler got injured again, and he is pissed that his friend got injured, when if he wants to be mad at anyone, be mad at your team. Cutler was expected to miss 4 weeks, he comes back after 3, and hurts his ankle, in a game he shouldn't of played in.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score

-- It’s been several weeks since an NFL game was delayed due to weather.  Another delay could be coming on Sunday.

According to the folks at Weather.com, the afternoon forecast for Chicago includes potentially severe storms and high winds.

If/when the game is paused due to arbitrary strikes of 54,000-degree electricity from above, the wind will still be a factor, and it could impact the passing games for both teams.

Which means that the Ravens, who have the third worst rushing offense in the league, will have to try to run the ball.  The good news for Baltimore is that the Bears have the second worst rushing defense in the league.

The bad news for the rest of us is that the conditions could make for an ugly game to watch.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
The Windy City living up to it's name. It was 20+ MPH winds during the Michigan @ Northwestern. Looks like it's Chicago's turn.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
That game is going to be interesting, that's for sure. I got both Alshon and Marshall starting in fantasy today, might need to make a last second change for one of 'em. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Mineapolis Star Tribune

If there are any rumors out there about Adrian Peterson being traded, Rick Spielman has quashed them.

The Vikings general manager was asked in an interview with Pro Football Talk host Mike Florio what might happen if the star running back asked to be dealt. Spielman wasted no time in his response.

"Adrian is not going anywhere," he said. "We have him under contract. He's the face of our franchise. He is a blue-chip player. And we have a new coaching staff in place, and (the Vikings are) very excited about what's coming ahead for us."

Peterson, 28, just finished the third year of a seven-year, $100 million contract. He had surgery Thursday on his groin, but Spielman expressed no concern.

"I never have any doubts in Adrian, and this was a minor procedure, and it was bothering him some," Spielman said. "But this is something that he'll fully recover from. And you never count Adrian out because he always has a chip on his shoulder."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%