Yankees create snag in Boston plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox burns strongly even when it comes to waiver claims.

When the New York Mets and Red Sox worked out a trade for left-handed reliever Billy Wagner earlier this week, Chris Carter, an outfielder-first baseman currently playing for Triple-A Pawtucket, became part of the deal as a player to be named headed to Boston, sources said. In preparation for the deal, the Red Sox placed Carter on waivers, with the intention of moving him on to the Mets.

But the Yankees, sources said, placed a claim on Carter -- perhaps to create some 40-man roster discomfort for the Red Sox. In order to complete the Wagner trade, the Red Sox are now pulling Carter back from waivers, and for the rest of the year they must carry him on their 40-man roster.

And Boston may struggle to squeeze bodies onto its 40-man roster in September. When Paul Byrd was a free agent, he informed teams that as a condition for signing him -- he since has signed a minor-league deal with the Red Sox -- he wanted a guarantee that he would be added to the 40-man roster for the final month of the regular season.

If Boston has made that same concession, the Carter claim by the Yankees might have made that just a little more difficult.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Source: ESPN.com
lol, that's not nice, but smart.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this is hilarious

very smart move by the Yanks

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
My question is how Boston let's the information get out, or how do the Yankees find out about who's in the trade?

VC15

Reaction score
"Low Risk, High Reward" right Theo?

0-2 so far this year.

*Waits for PM7 to say "Red Sox are stockpiling FTW".

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
lol, the yankees dont <Censored> around.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
My question is how Boston let's the information get out, or how do the Yankees find out about who's in the trade?
inside man, the yanks manage to find a way to cheat for everything

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was waiting for DH to come here and make a comment about a move that would not be article worthy if it wasn't Sox and Yanks..my day almost wasn't complete.

Care to explain this comment though:
"Low Risk, High Reward" right Theo?

VC15

Reaction score
I was waiting for DH to come here and make a comment about a move that would not be article worthy if it wasn't Sox and Yanks..my day almost wasn't complete.

Care to explain this comment though:
I'll be more than happy to.

According to boy genius Theo Epstein at the start of the season, John Smoltz and Brad Penny were "low risk, high rewars type players".

Although we do have some interest in Penny right now.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I meant what it had to do with the Yankees placing a claim on Chris Carter.

And they were low risk, high reward so I still don't see your point. Look at Smoltz, who apparently tipped his pitches while he was with us, he was lights out in his first start for the Cards.

Finally, as if that wasn't enough, the fact that the Yankees have an interest in Penny further exposes the complete hypocrisy and ignorance of your comments.

That said, I didn't expect any less..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%