2014 NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Discuss anything draft related here.

Lions are holding a pre-draft workout with Khalil Mack now. Lions have to be seriously considering trading up for someone. This is the 3rd prospect (Watkins and Clowney) they have held that will go in the top 5 more than likely. I feel like Mayhew knows he is on the hot seat, so he is going do try to make a splash in this draft by nabbing one of the top prospects. And everyone in the organization is preaching "the time to win is now" and then I believe it was Mayhew who said that there are only like 5 elite players in this draft. IDK just seems to add up that we would trade up.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's for due diligence mostly

They aren't trading into the top 4. Period. Too much assets to get there

If Clowney goes 1, Robinson goes 2, and then jags and browns take QBs, I could see the Lions trading to the #5 spot with Oakland for Watkins, or #7 for Mack if he somehow falls

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There is no reason to do due diligence on 3 players that likely wont make it out of the top 5.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I don't think it would make sense for the Lions to trade up.. They are not 1 player away from being a Super Bowl contending team.. They need the picks, they are not far off but not to the point to basically give the draft away to move up a few positions.. I've heard the rumors of the same thing but I don't think it would be in their best interest. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
There is no reason to do due diligence on 3 players that likely wont make it out of the top 5.
Not necessarily. Smart teams do their due diligence for scouting purposes, get to better know a player if the chance to acquire them prevents itself down the road, etc.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the Browns will trade down. Clowney will be gone, they're not taking an offensive linemen, I don't think they want to take Watkins at 4, and I don't think they're enamored with the top slotted QBs. I have no idea what they're gonna do. My money is on move back from #4 and use their surplus of picks to move up from #26

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who ever decided to move the draft back is worse than Stalin

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes

When it was announced that it'd be moved back a week, I was indifferent.  Now that the draft normally be a week away, and we have to wait an extra week, I'm pretty pissed.  

The Al Qaeda aren't even this inhumane.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I doubt that to be true, but if it is, I move down immediately if I'm the Jaguars. Suh in Gus's system is straight filthy

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Per a source, the #Lions are having discussions about moving #Suh before the draft to move up as high as possible in the first round.

This kind of deal is difficult, lots of hurdles to clear, but thru a common sense lens it makes sense if trying to get to #Clowney. #Lions

If you look at this move from a financial perspective, it starts to make a little more sense. According to Overthecap.com, Suh's current contract has a few critical factors that might make the Lions interested in moving him and replacing him with another playmaking defensive lineman. First, Suh's contract officially has him in Detroit through 2015, but there is a provision which will automatically void that contract after next year's Super Bowl. In other words, he's really only signed through 2014.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/4/23/5644358/nfl-draft-rumors-lions-discussing-trading-ndamukong-suh-jadeveon-clowney

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
But it is draft time so can only put so much into it.. Hard to believe anything around this time but it's possible

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Apparently the Rams really like Odell Beckham and will strongly consider him at 12, also like Greg Robinson at 2 if they don't trade the pick, possibly to the Falcons.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
WHO-DEY-BENGALS_14_18 said:
Per a source, the #Lions are having discussions about moving #Suh before the draft to move up as high as possible in the first round.

This kind of deal is difficult, lots of hurdles to clear, but thru a common sense lens it makes sense if trying to get to #Clowney. #Lions

If you look at this move from a financial perspective, it starts to make a little more sense. According to Overthecap.com, Suh's current contract has a few critical factors that might make the Lions interested in moving him and replacing him with another playmaking defensive lineman. First, Suh's contract officially has him in Detroit through 2015, but there is a provision which will automatically void that contract after next year's Super Bowl. In other words, he's really only signed through 2014.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/4/23/5644358/nfl-draft-rumors-lions-discussing-trading-ndamukong-suh-jadeveon-clowney

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_14_18 said:
But it is draft time so can only put so much into it.. Hard to believe anything around this time but it's possible
Not only does Suh have the largest cap hit in the league, why would a team move down in the draft, just so they could have Suh for a year?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:

Not only does Suh have the largest cap hit in the league, why would a team move down in the draft, just so they could have Suh for a year?
because if he resigns, he's the best/2nd best player going to a new team from Draft day.

Like if the jags move down to 10, and then pick their QB then? They can focus their 2nd on a WR, rather than the reverse (Watkins 1st, QB 2nd)

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If we trade up while keeping our pick and moving Suh, I will be ecstatic.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Only way I could see the Lions get away without swapping picks would be if Suh was locked up long term, or asking for much less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%