2014 Prospect Talk Thread

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
How do you guys like Manziel as an NFL QB honestly. 

IAmPacman

Reaction score
_NV™ said:
How do you guys like Manziel as an NFL QB honestly. 
I think he has a great arm but he has poor mechanics and relies on his feet too much to make plays. I don't see him being a successful NFL qb

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He doesn't even have a great arm. His arm strength is marginal at best.

IAmPacman

Reaction score
elcheato said:
He doesn't even have a great arm. His arm strength is marginal at best.
He threw some nice deep balls against bama. I'd say he has an above average arm.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Billy Turner from NDSU is a nasty football player. Dude is a menace in the trenches.

Probably not going until Day 3 at the earliest but the kid has a mean streak.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Teagz said:
Billy Turner from NDSU is a nasty football player. Dude is a menace in the trenches.

Probably not going until Day 3 at the earliest but the kid has a mean streak.

I can confirm this. I watch almost every game of theirs. Turner has some real potential, and I think he'd be just fine at most BCS schools.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I really want Austin Sefarian-Jenkins or Eric Ebron on the Patriots...go back to the 2 TE sets

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Don't like Jace for the Pats O?

TTN2810

Reaction score
Wow, this thread is lacking!

As for the Manziel discussion, very underrated arm strength. Doesn't get the credit it deserves. As for his future, I think he'll be a good one. Is he perfect? Hell no. But he has such a passion for the game anyone can clearly see, that with the potential he has, he'll be fine. He's gonna be way over criticized like Newton was IMO. I'm not gonna change my opinion on him because of what everyone else says like I did with Cam.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Also, as of now Mettenberger is my favourite QB prospect.
Guy's a stud. 

Tomorrow's A&M LSU game is gonna be fun to watch these QB's, man.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Everything about Manziel screams mediocre to me at the next level.

The main criticisms of Newton were off the field. It's hard to doubt his pure physical abilities. Now a lot of Manziel's criticisms stem from the off the field (which I don't believe are issues at all), but he has real quarterbacking problems too. You think his arm strength is underrated, I don't. It's marginal. He seemingly always wants to leave the pocket, and hes undersized. That's a recipe for disaster in the NFL

Things can change obviously, and he can adapt, but going off what I've seen, I wouldn't touch him in the first round. 2nd round I'd give it a whirl depending on my QB situation, because it's impossible to doubt his athleticism at the QB position.

Haven't seen enough of Mettenberger to comment

JKnucks

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Manziel is a fantastic QB regardless but some credit has to be given to Mike Evans, Manziel can chuck the ball in his general area and he'll come down with it, coverage is a lot stronger in the NFL and those kind of slinger plays won't always go his way. Even with that being said though, I think Manziel has great upside and could develop into a mobile Drew Brees and that could be deadly. His potential would make it hard for me if I were a GM to pass him up after the first 15-20 picks or so. 

TTN2810

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Everything about Manziel screams mediocre to me at the next level.

The main criticisms of Newton were off the field. It's hard to doubt his pure physical abilities. Now a lot of Manziel's criticisms stem from the off the field (which I don't believe are issues at all), but he has real quarterbacking problems too. You think his arm strength is underrated, I don't. It's marginal. He seemingly always wants to leave the pocket, and hes undersized. That's a recipe for disaster in the NFL

Things can change obviously, and he can adapt, but going off what I've seen, I wouldn't touch him in the first round. 2nd round I'd give it a whirl depending on my QB situation, because it's impossible to doubt his athleticism at the QB position.

Haven't seen enough of Mettenberger to comment
Off field, and defence reading abilities were the issues for Newton. I think Manziel, like Newton, will put in the work off the field.

As for arm strength, he doesn't have elite zip/spin on his passes, but by god he throws them hard. It doesn't come off looking as pretty and effortless, but the arm strength is there, in my opinion. I do see progression in staying in the pocket rather than just taking off as well, but he definitely will need to keep that progressing. And yes, his stature scares the hell out of you, and his competitiveness guarantees he's taking some big hits. That is where I personally would have real trouble taking him, especially looking at health issues with much bigger guys like RG3 and Locker.

As for Mettenberger, you really should man. He has amazing pocket presence and poise, and his ability to move and throw in muddled pockets is amazing. Very Brady-esque in that area. Not to mention has has juuust below elite level arm strength, and can fit the ball into some of the tightest windows 20+ yards down the field. And he has the added plus that he's in a pretty pro style offense, playing under centre quite a bit. If you get a chance to watch the A&M LSU game tomorrow, keep an eye out for him.

JKnucks said:
Don't get me wrong Manziel is a fantastic QB regardless but some credit has to be given to Mike Evans, Manziel can chuck the ball in his general area and he'll come down with it, coverage is a lot stronger in the NFL and those kind of slinger plays won't always go his way. Even with that being said though, I think Manziel has great upside and could develop into a mobile Drew Brees and that could be deadly. His potential would make it hard for me if I were a GM to pass him up after the first 15-20 picks or so. 
Yup. Mike Evans should and probably will be a top 10 pick, if not top 5 if someone wants a WR in there. I'd compare him more to a mobile Favre, rather than Brees personally.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Haha yeah but he does it in such an awesome way, that it's hard to call it on him. Gotta love it.
He kinda seems like a diva though. Just his body language when he's not getting the ball.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's no true consensus #1 back in this years class, and a lot of these guys will be undervalued because of the perceived lack of positional value, but there are quite a few very good running backs in this years class that could be legitimate impact players at the next level.

Seastrunk
Carey
Gordon
Sankey
Freeman
Hyde
DAT
James White
Isaiah Crowell

Andre Williams is a workhorse as well.  He's been insanely productive.  I could see him sticking somewhere.

Steez

Reaction score
Mettenberger has a rocket.

And I'm not sure if Manziel will be a good QB at the next level, but goddamn if it won't be exciting to watch him. Love that kid more than any college player in the past. 

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
Here are 5 guys I like at certain positions.  They're in no particular order though.

QB's
Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Zach Mettenberger, & AJ McCarron

WR's
Mike Evans, Odell Beckham Jr, Brandon Coleman, Mike Davis & Devin Street

DT's
Ra'Shede Hageman, Louis Nix & Daniel McCullers
Really the only 3 DT's I care for

LB's
CJ Mosley, Christian Jones, Anthony Barr, Kyle Van Noy & AJ Johnson

CB's
Bradley Roby, Louchiez Purifoy, Deion Belue, Bene Benwikere & Lamarcus Joyner

S's
Haha Clinton-Dix, Tre Boston, & Marqueston Huff
I know only 3 guys here. So what haha

Ideally I'd love to see the Vikings trade back with Cleveland and land Mosley & Bortles in round 1, take Jones in round 2 followed up by Roby & McCullers in round 3 and than land Davis, Benwikere & Huff in the later rounds,  Throw a guard in there at some point for development.  If everything went according to play Anthony Steen would be that guy who wishfully fell to the 4th round.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Browns aren't going to give up another first to move up 2 spots. There is no Andrew Luck or RG3 in this draft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%