Alex Smith Traded to Redskins

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I mean, Jay Gruden got what he got out of Andy Dalton, so I suppose he can make Alex Smith look a lot like Kirk Cousins, too. Maybe he feels Smith is less likely to have costly turnovers. Cousins is more prolific but almost all of his turnovers are mind-boggling. Just bad. I'd take Kirk ten times out of ten over Alex Smith, though. Washington just....I mean, talk about over-compensating for a guy who really came out of nowhere this season. Yeah, he's had some good years, but not until this year did he do much more than check down and hit Kelce for first downs. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/960147203695226880

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wouldn't they lose out on a compensatory pick if they tag + trade him?

Nobody is going to trade more than a third round pick to a team that has absolutely zero leverage.  

Go ahead and tag him Bruce, you stupid fuck.  Go into 2018 with two QBs tying up $60 million in cap space.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
So unbelievably stupid by Washington

- They offer Cousins the franchise tag, again
- He WILL accept immediately, since hell get paid $34.5M for the year
- No team will trade for a $34.5M expiring contract
- Skins have minimally $20M on the bench not playing all season

Skins have zero leverage in this situation. Id bet Kirk wouldnt mind being paid $34.5M to be Alex Moran, and his value wouldnt drop that much anyways. Teams wont trade for that salary either because its WAY too much.

Just let him walk

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In unrelated news, but kind of not, the Browns signed Scot McCloughan as a draft consultant.

I may finally make the full switch to Cleveland.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Skins don't have the balls to tag Cousins.  Its already been said nobody would trade for a $34.5 million salary that is only good for 1 season.  Cousins would have a legit grip via the NFLPA, due to the fact the franchise tag isn't intended as a trade chip for teams.  He could also completely de-rail the Skins' offseason by taking his sweet ass time to sign the franchise offer.  I believe he could hold out for up to 2 months after the tag is sent his way for signature.

The media can speculate but the Alex Smith handshake deal is Washington washing their hands clean of Cousins. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%