UFC 124: St-Pierre vs. Koscheck

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If a great wrestler like Sonnen can hold silva on the ground for that long, I don't see how GSP wouldn't be able to. I think u might be underestimating GSP's strength a bit.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
as much as i really want to see this fight happen i do not think gsp would have much of a chance. not saying gsp isnt as amazing as he is, it is just too big of a weight gap. GSP would have to come up in weight and would still be so much smaller then silva. silva could fight at 205 the rest of his career and still be a force. Silva would be so much faster at 185 or even if they fought at 180. Silva would own standup and i dont think gsp would be able to hold silva oon the ground for long. I would love to see that fight though.
I would not disagree that GSP having to go up slows him down too much to be able to fight at the high level he does now. However, it's well known that Georges will not take this fight until he's naturally walking around at 185 & training long enough at 185. The man is too smart to just make the jump and get into the octagon with Spider b/c it would be a fight of the century. Now if and when GSP is comfortably at 185, I'll favor him over an aging Anderson Silva. This isn't easy for me, 2 of my all time fav's, but I just cant bet against GSP's ability to prepare for a fight and totally exploit his opponent's weakness. Where I do favor Anderson Silva in this is his boxing, Silva has the reach & no, GSP wouldn't be able to submit Spider.

I think Chael Sonnen beat up Anderson Silva more than anyone we'll ever see b/c his aggressive and overpowering barrage of striking totally caught the Spider off-guard and shook up his gameplan. What Chael did show is that the best way to get Anderson is to go right at him...don't be over-tactical and try to stand up & look for holes in his stand-up. Anderson is as tactical as they come and if you let him, he will find 'toy' with you and get you to overcommit and make mistakes. 2 great boxers, 2 great submission artists, it would go to decision...I see GSP taking a close decision b/c he controls more of the fight with his ability to close the distance and takedowns.

jvello

Reaction score
If a great wrestler like Sonnen can hold silva on the ground for that long, I don't see how GSP can't. I think u might be underestimating GSP's strength a bit.
im not at all, he is the best wrestler in the ufc. i think you are underestimating silvas size. silva is a big guy, that cuts alot of weight for middleweight. if gsp comes up in weight he WILL be slower. slower means harder to get to someone like silva to take down. its just too big of a wieght difference, it is basically two classes. this isnt boxing.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not underestimating his size at all. I know he's a big dude and everything but GSP is great at creating distance and his timing is unbelievable but like AE said GSP isn't gonna fight Silva until he is comfortable enough at 185.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%