Breakout Players for 08-09?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
WITHOUT BEING BIASED(lol), who do you think will have the biggest breakout season. I mean like MIP worthy season. No rookies obviously.

My list right now would be...

Louis Williams. He is going to be a stud.

Andris Biedrins. He is going to be involved a lot more offensively said coach Nelson. Should be good.

Trevor Ariza. Athletic player, I like his game.

Chris Anderson. Keep an eye on him.

T.J. Ford. New fresh start in Indy.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i do like your list.
i dont want to be biased either, but Ariza looked awesome in preseason
and Farmar, WOW does he look good. these guys are gonna be breakout players

others i like:
Nate Robinson: my the impossible to pick MIP. He's look really good in preseason, and i hear D'antoni really likes him.

Rashad McCants: Hopefully he isnt injured this season. I think he could be grear for Minny this season

Mike Conley Jr.: Navarro is gone, and there is really no other PG to fight for time with him. Lowry would be better off the bench and Jaric won't play. Ivoroni likes to run, and Conley is a perfect PG to do that

Ramon Sessions: He finshed really really strong last season. I like him to continue on. maybe even fight for a starting spot with Ridnour down the road.

Wilson Chandler: yes. He wasn't that bad last season in the limited time he did play. He's perfect for D'Antoni's system. Shawn Marion anyone?

LaMarcus Aldridge: I really like LaMarcus. He reminds me of Pau. He's got a nice touch around the rim, and can shoot s decent mid-range jumper. With Oden there, it should free up Aldridge ala Shaq/Amare.

There's more too. Matt Barnes, Rodney Stuckey, Al THornton, Nick Young, Thaddeus Young all should be better than years past. yeah i know there all sophs other than Barnes, but they all showed flashes last season

long list, but this is the most unpredictable question. i cant wait. should be an amazing season

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
oh yeah, can't forget Andrew Bynum. He was on his way to Most Improved last year, or at least top 5 candidate. look for him to continue where he left off. he got better over summer. taller, stronger, more post moves. more than just a lob catcher like Tyson. And he plays defense. He should be amongst the league leaders in BPG

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with Mexi on Mike Conley Jr, I expect a good year from him this year, he should either have a break out season this year, or next year, too much talent for him not to.

Emeka Okafor, if he can stay healthy I think he can pull out a career year and live up to his big name he had coming out of college.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Alridge definitely, Bynum technically still needs to "break out", so obviously him too.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with .mexicool's list aside from Conley.

I dont see him becoming the player expected. From the games Ive been able to see, he lacks confidence and even though his basketball IQ is high, he just doesnt have "it"

I think Nate is going to explode this year, same with Chandler. McCants is a scoring machine waiting to happen. Idk why he isnt starting.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Darko Milicic...
Might be a break out year...
No one knows...

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with .mexicool's list aside from Conley.

I dont see him becoming the player expected. From the games Ive been able to see, he lacks confidence and even though his basketball IQ is high, he just doesnt have "it"

I think Nate is going to explode this year, same with Chandler. McCants is a scoring machine waiting to happen. Idk why he isnt starting.
Conley: perhaps, but with no real competition for starting PG and playing alngside OJ and Rudy in a run and gun offense, i think he'll be fine

and yeah. Nate is gonna be sick this year. I cant wait to see him play.
Wilson Chandler i hear is a favorite of D'Antoni. thats a positive. he has all the tools to be an effective player

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not going with any obvious picks here... So here are my sleepers for 08-09!

Nate Robinson - EXPLOSIVE scorer during preseason... Can work on his passing more, but I can see him playing a role similar to that of Leandro Barbosa - shoots 3s, and drives to the basket.

Louis Williams - also a nice scorer... I like Andre Miller, but if anything goes down with him, Lou would be big.

Francisco Garcia/John Salmons - both put up solid numbers, for the most part, playing behind Ron Artest. Can both contribute with scoring, and Salmons adds versatility as a ballhandler, and Garcia can play multiple positions.

Thaddeus Young - BEAST. Starting at SF for a team that's really solid... Plays good D, can score well, rebounds decently.

Wilson Chandler - Probably mentioned already - Shawn Marion with less rebounds, and less of a force on defense... Good slasher, big SF, plays some good D, I love him on fastbreaks.

Kenyon Martin - ok, maybe not breakout... But this year, if healthy, he will be as close to his NJ form as you'll get... I can see him getting 15/8.5 with a steal and a block.

Paul Millsap - stuck behind Boozer/Okur, but he's still a beast. Could challenge for a block or steal a game off the bench. He's an amazing rebounder... Already one of the best. Has some promise scoring... He'll do well off the bench, and just imagine if Okur or Boozer go down (which both are semi-fragile) then he could be a BIG contributor.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
As Far as rooks go deff watch out for CDR.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mario CHalmers will be a shocker watch out.

Louis williams will be great.

Nate robinson will thrive in d'antoni system.

Stephon Marbury-He really isnt a breakout player. But i can't see steph not dominating in this system.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Here are my picks from each roster...

Atlanta: Acie Law VI
Celtics: Tony Allen, Patrick O'Bryant
Charlotte: n/a
Chicago: Thabo Sefolosha, Aaron Gray
Cleveland: Ben Wallace
Dallas: Gerald Green, Antoine Wright,
Denver: Chris Andersen,
Detroit: Kwame Brown, Rodney Stuckey
Golden State: Marcus Willaims, Brandan Wright
Houston: Aaron Brooks
Indiana: n/a
LA Clippers: Al Thorton
LA Lakers: Jordan Farmar, Andrew Bynum, Trevor Ariza
Memphis: Mike Conley, Darko Milicic
Miami: Jamaal Magloire, Shawn Livingston
Milwaukee: Ramon Sessions
Minnesota: Randy Foye, Rashad McCants, Ryan Gomes
New Jersey: Sean Williams, Yi Jianlian
New Orleans: Hilton Armstrong, Julian Wright
New York: Wilson Chandler, Nate Robinson, Chris Duhon
Oklahoma City: n/a
Orlando: Jameer Nelson
Philadelphia: Louis Williams, Thaddeus Young
Phoenix: n/a
Portland: Sergio Rodriguez
Sacramento: Francisco Garcia
San Antonio: n/a
Toronto: Jose Calderon, Jamario Moon, Andrea Barnani
Jazz: Morris Almond, C.J. Miles
Washington: Andray Blatche

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
DJ is such a beast.
his fadeaway rivals that of Kobe Bryant

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRH33_XIWoc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRH33_XIWoc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
BEAST
I can't tell you how many times I've seen his videos. lol

I just remembered,

PATRICK O'BRYANT should have a breakout year. Nellie never gave him a chance and I think he is pretty good. Just another unlucky rookie from our team. He has really bad work ethic, though I think KG has addressed that.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This could be the year that Andrew Bogut breaks the shackles and starts producing more than just good solid average numbers............................................eh, who am I kdding. Averaged 15 and 10 last year, that's good enough for a C in this league, especially on a crappy team.

Also Kraig, technically Magloire has already broken out, All Star in 03-04 wasn't it? And what a breakout that ended up being lol. Ben Wallace? Already been on All Star team numerous times lol. We need to define break out.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Man, i thought Tyrus Thomas was going to beast this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%