Best Rotation for 2018

CoachAF

Reaction score
A comment in the Cole Trade thread sparked a thought: What is the best rotation in baseball??  

IMO, it is between the Nationals and the Astros. Someone else threw out the Indians and Yankees (eventually). So to get the discussion going, I will post some stats for response. Using a self-made WAR calculator, I will take projections for 2018 for each of the 5 projected SP for each team. I know WAR is not the end-all, be-all of evaluators, but it is a quick,easy way to draw initial comparisons. 

Astros:         22 total
Verlander           6.0 
Keuchel             5.6
Cole                   3.7
McCullers          3.5
Morton               3.2

Nationals:     25.2    total
Scherzer        8.1
Strasburg       5.9
Gonzalez       4.7
Roark             4.5
Cole               2.0

Yankees:            19.1 total
Severino            5.5
Gray                  3.2
Tanaka               3.7
Montgomery      3.4
Sabathia            3.3

Indians:            21.1 total
Kluber         7.7
Carrasco     6.2
Bauer          2.9
Salazar       2.6
Tomlin         1.7

So a simple WAR ranking would have them: 

1) Nationals
2) Astros
3) Indians
4) Yankees

Just as a reference, I project Darvish to have a 3.9 WAR; Arrieta to have a 4.5 WAR; Lynn to have a 3.5 WAR. 

So whose rotation do you think is best?? Also feel free to suggest others. I was just going off what was mentioned in the other thread.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Projections are meaningless. War is calculated differently by different sites so I hate using it.

I'd say it's a push between Astros/Nats.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Assuming some type of natural progression in the young power arms in Cleveland (Bauer, Salazar and Clevinger), the Indians have the best rotation.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'd rather see them prove it. It's very possible that after this season that will be the case.

For all we know Harvey bounces back in a contract year, Syndergaard and deGrom are healthy and excellent and the Mets jump in to the top 5. But I don't like judging based on ifs

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
1. Porcello
2. Steven Wright
3. Sale
4. Price
5. Erod

cant be beat

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I'd rather see them prove it. It's very possible that after this season that will be the case.

For all we know Harvey bounces back in a contract year, Syndergaard and deGrom are healthy and excellent and the Mets jump in to the top 5. But I don't like judging based on ifs
Last year the Indians starters were #2 in ERA, #1 in BB, #1 in SO, #3 in BAA, #2 in OBP, #3 in SLG, #3 in OPS, #2 in WHIP, #1 in WAR (by over 4 wins), #1 in FIP, #1 in xFIP, 

They did prove it, and they're going to get better 

CoachAF

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Last year the Indians starters were #2 in ERA, #1 in BB, #1 in SO, #3 in BAA, #2 in OBP, #3 in SLG, #3 in OPS, #2 in WHIP, #1 in WAR (by over 4 wins), #1 in FIP, #1 in xFIP, 

They did prove it, and they're going to get better 
That was entirely driven by the amazingness of Kluber and Carrasco. Bauer was pretty much the same exact pitcher hes always been, but he struck out more guys than normal. Salazar actually took a small step backwards. He was a bit unlucky, but I dont think hell turn out better than a solid middle of the rotation guy. They were #1 in walks because Tomlin walks nobody. I think he had like 15 walks last year total. Staying around the plate like he does, hes gonna get killed. Indians have the best 1-2 punch, but fall off quickly after that.

CoachAF

Reaction score
If Roark bounces back and has a year like many expected in 2017, then the Nats could be scary good.

CoachAF

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:

The Mets are a good dark horse candidate, but the health is key. I wouldnt hold my breath on Harvey

CoachAF

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
1. Porcello
2. Steven Wright
3. Sale
4. Price
5. Erod

cant be beat
What does Price come back and do??? Looked great in the pen last year but was a mess for most the season. Also, Pomeranz is in their 5 isnt he???

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
1. Mike Fulmer
2. Jordan Zimmerman
3. Daniel Norris
4. Matt Boyd
5. Mike Fiers

unhittable

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think there is any way you can project it. Guys have career years, and injuries factor other guys out. Look at the 2016 Porcello. He's nothing like his career indicates. And if David Price comes back, him and Sale are likely the best 1 2 in baseball. Projections may give you an idea, but I highly doubt they'll be accurate.

brett05

Reaction score
Right now, it's the Nats with the Astros closely nipping on their heals for 2018

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Right now, it's the Nats with the Astros closely nipping on their heals for 2018
The Nats.. ha ha.  Let's see when they get to round 1 of the playoffs. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kershaw
Hill
Wood
Maeda
Ryu
Buehler
Urias
Stewart
Stripling

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Kershaw
Hill
Wood
Maeda
Ryu
Buehler
Urias
Stewart
Stripling
Definitely not the Dodgers. Outside of Kershaw, I'm not sure who I would rely on. I like Rich Hill, but he's not a #2 pitcher and he's injured for half a year. He's not even full time in the rotation.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Mexi said:
Kershaw
Hill
Wood
Maeda
Ryu
Buehler
Urias
Stewart
Stripling
Dodgers have good depth even after the trade. Still not at the top tho

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Definitely not the Dodgers. Outside of Kershaw, I'm not sure who I would rely on. I like Rich Hill, but he's not a #2 pitcher and he's injured for half a year. He's not even full time in the rotation.
this team won 104 games and darvish didn't really matter

Guys like hill and wood will not make 30 starts by design. Its all about depth. The days of a 5 man pure rotation are done. Inning eaters are gone.

I'll take them

CoachAF

Reaction score
Mexi said:
this team won 104 games and darvish didn't really matter

Guys like hill and wood will not make 30 starts by design. Its all about depth. The days of a 5 man pure rotation are done. Inning eaters are gone.

I'll take them
Depth certainly matters. I also like the dodgers history of going out and adding pieces when necessary. What they start with is rarely what they finish with

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%