2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i don't agree with trading a solid player playing a premium position for a bat only type player. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
snipezo said:
i don't agree with trading a solid player playing a premium position for a bat only type player.
Red Sox have a bigger need to add offense and Schwarber is very cheap way to do it. Benny and Mookie are above average playing centerfield. Schwarber was inconsistent last year but I’ll blame the Cubs shifting him around in the lineup and having him play LF. All he would have to do in Boston is worry about hitting. Schwarber is 3 years younger and under team control longer. I’d do it in a heartbeat. It’s not like having this amazing defensive OF has gotten the Red Sox over the hump in the last few seasons.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Being a non-Cubs fan and believing in Schwarber is a really wild take. Props for going that far out on a limb. He's awful.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Being a non-Cubs fan and believing in Schwarber is a really wild take. Props for going that far out on a limb. He's awful.
Sample size is too small to tell. He was brought up in 2015, hit 16 dingers in 69 games, tore his shit playing OF in 2016, but raked in the World Series, and was awful last year. Put him in a solid DH spot and the potential is there.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
It's not worth giving up JBJ and his glove, especially with a hole that would be created in left.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/940395993299849217

Sign me up for this though

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Schawrber's far from a sure thing though. Even if he does bit, will he hit well enough to offset the fact that he plays no positions? Idk if that's a gamble I'd want to take.

brett05

Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Schwarber in no way is better than Benintendi at fielding.

CameronCrazy06 said:
If you actually believe that, you should reevaluate your life.
Yes fangraphs has a crush on Kyle and a hatred for Andrew.  You two are super detectives.  Congrats!  Way to not allow facts cloud your judgement. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry so much about covering the 200 feet in front of the Monster. The Sox have put some of the worst fielders in that spot and managed to get by. And it's hilarious some yahoo like brett05 would attempt to use any of Benny's metrics playing that odd spot in LF as a means to shit on his defense. Lets totally ignore Benny was at one time the best centerfielder in all of college baseball and near-flawless playing center in the minors.

Look for the Red Sox to get in on the JD Martinez market and potentially explore the trade market for a DH. Ozuna maybe?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Plus Benintendi had 7 DRS and still had a positive UZR across a much larger sample size.

Besides, Fangraph's calculation uses UZR anyways.

catman

Reaction score
The "eyeball" test tells me that Andrew Benintendi is a much better fielder than Schwarber.  The athleticism alone shows this.  Benintendi will be a very good fielder.  Schwarber is a plodder out there and would cost the Red Sox a lot of runs if he played LF.

Remember, this is from a guy that called a gold glover a poor defender.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
catman said:
The "eyeball" test tells me that Andrew Benintendi is a much better fielder than Schwarber.  The athleticism alone shows this.  Benintendi will be a very good fielder.  Schwarber is a plodder out there and would cost the Red Sox a lot of runs if he played LF.
Remember, this is from a guy that called a gold glover a poor defender.

The debate was never "who's the better fielder?"  Schwarber is atrocious in the field.  The point is the Red Sox can afford to trade away JBJ, slide Benintendi to CF, and take a chance on Schwarber as the DH.  Other than durability issues, Hanley wasn't bad as the everyday 1B.  The Sox can go get JD Martinez or try to deal for Ozuna to play LF. 

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
It'd be so dumb to trade JBJ for a hitter with a ton of question marks and a 30% k rate.

Idc if he hit 30 bombs. 

catman

Reaction score
I would agree that JBJ is far more valuable than Schwarber.  The Cubs will have to sweeten the deal a whole lot before I would be willing to make that sort of deal.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
It'd be so dumb to trade JBJ for a hitter with a ton of question marks and a 30% k rate.

Idc if he hit 30 bombs. 
Yea I agree with this.

Trade him for a starter instead, if ya can.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
If we gott Schwarber, which I'm not completely against, we would have to do so without giving up a lot. Too many question marks, and yes, the eyeball test tells us he's a career DH and not a fielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%