Yankees fan caught sleeping on TV sues ESPN, MLB for $10 million

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Yankees fan caught sleeping on TV sues ESPN, MLB for $10 million

A New York man who was caught sleeping at a recent Yankees game against the Red Sox on ESPN is filing a $10 million defamation suit against broadcasters Dan Schulman and John Kruk for their "avalanche of disparaging words," according to the New York Post.

Andrew Robert Rector admitted that he "briefly slept" while in attending the April 13 game between the A.L. East rivals, and when ESPN cameras caught him sleeping during the fourth inning, the Sunday Night Baseball announcers launched into what he described as an "unending verbal crusade" against him, with their "vituperative utterances" redistributed on the MLB website the following day.
According to the report, Rector's suit was riddled with typos and improper grammar, claiming the broadcasters insinuated that he "is a fatty cow that need two seats at a time" and "is a confused individual that neither understands nor knows anything about history or the meaning of rivalry between Red Sox and Yankees."
ESPN, MLB and the Yankees are named as defendants in the suit.
Here is the entire complaint Rector filed, via The Smoking Gun:
Yankee Complaint by Enrique Espinoza

(NYPost.com)

LOL

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I hope he gets something for it. Broadcasters shouldn't comment on fans unless it's a beautiful woman.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
They did him a favor. Change comes from humility. 

Kidding. I don't think he should win any money at all. Stupid case.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Man, how do you fall asleep in the 4th inning?

H-MYK

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Man, how do you fall asleep in the 4th inning?
I actually asked how does one fall asleep at a stadium full of people this morning and my friend responded with: "Red Sox-Yankee games are notorious for being long. Also a lot of overweight people have trouble sleeping at night because of breathing issues (mostly sleep apnea)."

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Well. When you don't walk much, getting from the parking lot to your seat will knock a fat guy out cold

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
H-MYK said:
I actually asked how does one fall asleep at a stadium full of people this morning and my friend responded with: "Red Sox-Yankee games are notorious for being long. Also a lot of overweight people have trouble sleeping at night because of breathing issues (mostly sleep apnea)."

I'm sending this comment to him. You called him fat, I hope he sues you.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How exactly do you come to a sum of 10 million when thinking of suing for this?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lawsuits always start with a ridiculous figure. It's an attempt to draw attention, and you're never going to get the amount you initially sue for, so might as well start high

Dboy85

Reaction score
^^ Lol Good Question. Is there a legal scale for how offended the plaintiff is in dollar amount? (sarcasm)

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Thomas-Panda-Saxby said:
Smart guy though lol

You think he planned to fall asleep and he had some vision that they would say that stuff (which they didn't anyway)

Thomas-Panda-Saxby

Reaction score
No? Smart guy for trying to get some money. Maybe ESPN pays him anyway to drop the lawsuit

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Thomas-Panda-Saxby said:
No? Smart guy for trying to get some money. Maybe ESPN pays him anyway to drop the lawsuit
Oh yeah, except I hope he fuckibg loses and doesn't get shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%