Patrick Ewing to re-unite with NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Patrick Ewing might be back in New York as Knicks' assistant

Maybe this will be the year that Patrick Ewing finally returns to New York.

Mike D'Antoni said Thursday that he would consider hiring the Knicks' Hall of Fame center as one of his assistant coaches.

"I know what he did in New York and I know that he's done a good job since he left," D'Antoni said. "He will definitely be considered."

D'Antoni is in the early stages of putting together his staff, which is expected to include his brother, Dan. The status of two of D'Antoni's other assistants from Phoenix, Alvin Gentry and Phil Weber, is uncertain. Both are still under contract with the Suns, which could prevent one or both from joining the Knicks.

Herb Williams, who shares an agent with D'Antoni, likely will remain on the Knicks' bench while Dave Hanners is expected to be reunited with Larry Brown in Charlotte. Mark Aguirre and George Glymph, who were both hired by Isiah Thomas, are not likely to return.

Aguirre trained almost exclusively with the big men - Earl Monroe recently said he did a "great job" with Eddy Curry - and Ewing could potentially fill that same role. Ewing has worked for the Wizards, Rockets and NBA TV since retiring, and just completed his first season as an assistant with the Orlando Magic.

Although Ewing doesn't want to be labeled as a big men's coach, he has worked closely with Yao Ming and Dwight Howard, the latter of whom enjoyed his best season in the league before Orlando was knocked out of the playoffs by the Pistons. Ewing is under contract, but the Magic would not prevent him from rejoining the franchise that he led to the NBA Finals in 1994 and 1999.

Hiring a coaching staff is one of many chores D'Antoni has on his to-do list. He returned home to Scottsdale, Ariz., on Wednesday but will be back in New York on Monday to represent the organization at the NBA draft lottery the following night.

D'Antoni will be involved in the workouts for potential draft picks and undrafted free agents and will attend the pre-draft camp in Orlando. He'll also be house-hunting before spending five weeks with the Olympic team as an assistant coach.

"Other than that I don't have much else going on," D'Antoni said over the phone.

D'Antoni dismissed the notion that coaching the Knicks wasn't his first choice. Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said on Tuesday that D'Antoni had informed him that he didn't want to coach the Knicks.

"In my gut, this is where I wanted to be," D'Antoni said. "I listened to what everyone was saying and I knew that New York was where I wanted to be."

The new Knicks coach says he has been both excited and overwhelmed since signing a contract on Monday. He was surprised to see his picture on both the front and back pages of Wednesday's Daily News, saying, "I want to stay off the front page."

Mostly, D'Antoni says he left New York feeling re-energized by the fans, the organization and even the media.

"Really, everyone has a desire to get this thing back on the right track," he added. "That's one of the big reasons why I came here. Being in Italy all those years and Italian fans and media have so much passion for their teams. Right or wrong, they have passion. It's the same with New York. You can't find that energy anywhere else."
LINK

I called this at the beginning of Ewing's tenure with the Magic.

I dont understand why Isiah didnt make him an assistant after he left Houston, I mean look at what he was able to do with Yao. Then he goes to Orlando and look how Dwight Howard's game has elevated. (I know he isnt the sole reason for both, but he helped them both ALOT)

Now if we're able to get him in New York, he'll be able to tutor Z-Bo and Curry (if they both stay) and he brings defense to the table. This is something I think the Knicks HAVE to do. IMO, would be the best move of the off-season if we bring him in.

AirForceFlash_3

MLB Co-Comish/FSU Class of 2014!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree it would be a great idea for both parties. Ewing gets to go back to where he started and it helps NY with Curry and/or Z-Bo or whatever big men they have next year. D'Antoni really should hire him.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree, this would be a very good move on the Knicks part. Plus it would really help Curry and Randolph out.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well, I just seen on ESPN that Ewing isnt expected to join our coaching staff....damn.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well that sucks for the Knicks, he really would of helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%