Bryzzo - Pick One

Who Would You Rather Have?

• Total voters

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
You get to pick one player for the next 5 years, who do you pick?

brett05

Reaction score
This is a pretty bad question.  Clearly the choice for future value here is Bryant. 

Now make this a question on who should be the MVP for 2016 and you have a much better question.

On the surface it would appear Bryant is that answer as well.  However when you dig deeper into the numbers a different story is told.

Bryant has struggled against playoff teams.  He's something like 150 OPS behind Rizzo when it comes to that. 
Bryant piled up a good portion of his numbers against some out right awful teams (Reds, Brewers, etc). 
Bryant plays multiple positions but all are at best slightly below average.

The MVP choice right now is Rizzo.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Numbers vs .500 teams is such a reach man

It's a regular season award lol

If rizzo is good vs the good teams, he'll win nlcs mvp or world series mvp

I do feel bryant is overrated a little and the cubs are playing him at multiple positions for no reasons but to bump up his war. Literally no other team would start him at 6 positions when they have zobrist on the roster lol or can throw javy baez at 2nd or short

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
I agree with the first half of your post. I'm not sure if you're serious, but I think it's a bit silly to suggest the Cubs are simply using Bryant's versatility as a way to increase a meaningless stat. The Cubs have fielded one of the best defenses in MLB history this season, and a reason for that is the versatility of Bryant.

brett05

Reaction score
Mexi said:
Numbers vs .500 teams is such a reach man

It's a regular season award lol

If rizzo is good vs the good teams, he'll win nlcs mvp or world series mvp

I do feel bryant is overrated a little and the cubs are playing him at multiple positions for no reasons but to bump up his war. Literally no other team would start him at 6 positions when they have zobrist on the roster lol or can throw javy baez at 2nd or short
You are super ignorant if you think teams care about increasing a player's WAR value.

The play against 500 teams matters a lot.  It's better talent and the better you play against said talent more than likely means you yourself are a great player.

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
I agree with the first half of your post. I'm not sure if you're serious, but I think it's a bit silly to suggest the Cubs are simply using Bryant's versatility as a way to increase a meaningless stat. The Cubs have fielded one of the best defenses in MLB history this season, and a reason for that is the versatility of Bryant.
No they haven't.  Put the Kool-Aid down.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2016&month=0&season1=1871&ind=1&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Well they're far and away better than the rest of baseball and by the one stat you posted, they rank 27th in MLB history.

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Well they're far and away better than the rest of baseball and by the one stat you posted, they rank 27th in MLB history.
That is true, but when you see they are closer to 180 than 1 and that the link only covers 450 teams as the data isn't there outside of recent times....but hey, let's not take that into consideration.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Yeah all the MLB writers that have written about their defense must not know as much as you

Let's forget the fact that they are almost 5x better than the 4th best defense in terms of defensive efficiency, 3x as good as the 3rd, and 2x better than the 2nd

More than twice as many defensive runs saved than the 4th best team. If you haven't noticed, the game has changed. The last 450 teams is a pretty fair sample size considering defensive shifts and the switch towards a sabermetric viewpoint. Safe to say defense is at a all-time high in MLB. To be that much better than anybody else is nothing short of remarkable. Especially when you consider all the moving parts Maddon uses

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
brett05 said:
You are super ignorant if you think teams care about increasing a player's WAR value.

The play against 500 teams matters a lot.  It's better talent and the better you play against said talent more than likely means you yourself are a great player.
Because no team below .500 has good pitchers. It's funny how condescending you are towards the Cubs, just join the ride. The Sox have a long journey ahead of them, mine as well enjoy some good baseball over the next 4 years, trust me I understand your animosity

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Yeah all the MLB writers that have written about their defense must not know as much as you

Let's forget the fact that they are almost 5x better than the 4th best defense in terms of defensive efficiency, 3x as good as the 3rd, and 2x better than the 2nd

More than twice as many defensive runs saved than the 4th best team. If you haven't noticed, the game has changed. The last 450 teams is a pretty fair sample size considering defensive shifts and the switch towards a sabermetric viewpoint. Safe to say defense is at a all-time high in MLB. To be that much better than anybody else is nothing short of remarkable. Especially when you consider all the moving parts Maddon uses
1)  They are not #1 in 2016 let alone ever.
2)  It's not safe to assume that D is better now.  Conditions are certainly better
3)  The 3rd and 4th 4th best Defense belongs to the Indians and Giants for which the Cubs are Roughly 50% better. 

That's the facts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Because no team below .500 has good pitchers. It's funny how condescending you are towards the Cubs, just join the ride. The Sox have a long journey ahead of them, mine as well enjoy some good baseball over the next 4 years, trust me I understand your animosity
Just because I hate the Cubs doesn't mean I can't be fair and balanced.  I am a baseball fan first and foremost.
Teams under .500 have good pitchers.  Take Sale and Q who are top 10 pitchers in all of baseball.  But generally speaking under 500 teams have very poor talent.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
brett05 said:
1)  They are not #1 in 2016 let alone ever.
2)  It's not safe to assume that D is better now.  Conditions are certainly better
3)  The 3rd and 4th 4th best Defense belongs to the Indians and Giants for which the Cubs are Roughly 50% better. 

That's the facts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0
I would say their rPM speaks for itself that they are an elite defense

catman

Reaction score
To get back to the topic at hand, I pick Rizzo over Bryant.  Bryant is likely more talented, but Rizzo is the glue that holds the team together.  He will not back down in any situation.  He is the one I would rather have at bat with the game on the line in the bottom of the 9th. 

brett05

Reaction score
catman said:
To get back to the topic at hand, I pick Rizzo over Bryant.  Bryant is likely more talented, but Rizzo is the glue that holds the team together.  He will not back down in any situation.  He is the one I would rather have at bat with the game on the line in the bottom of the 9th. 
No doubt about it

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Rizzo is definitely the leader of the team. Ever since he challenged Chapman in Cincinnati he has been the heart and soul of the team. They have a lot of leaders like that though, Ross and Lester are probably the other 2 biggies. 

I think Russell is on his way as well. Best glove in baseball, and should get 100 RBIs as a SS

I could easily make a great argument for both of these guys, they will both likely win MVP awards in the near future (If not multiple). 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Best glove in baseball.... What? Does machado not exist anymore?

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Best glove in baseball.... What? Does machado not exist anymore?
Machado? Russell has 11 more runs saved, Macahdo is 23rd in MLB. A few web gems doesn't make you the best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%