Source: LeBron would consider European offer of $50 million a year or more

Status
Not open for further replies.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

LeBron James

James
A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.

While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join the MLS, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls in 1997-1998, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.

While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.

"I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over. "

But losing a player of James's magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.

"For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [Bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."

But both Litvin and the Players Association official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.

"It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."

The source close to James said he would only play in Europe for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."

"Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."

The entire scenario falls in line with James's stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the Players Association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.

"First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc..."

But he would be filthy rich and a global icon.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone has their price. And 50mil a year is just crazy...

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Alot of money to pass up, but I still don't think he'll go over to Europe.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Imagine the if he wins a Euro title, NBA Title, and a Gold. WOW.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Hmm... this is gonna be interesting. lol

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Isn't there anything better to talk about surrounding the NBA right now?

Sick of the ridiculous LeBron rumors that constantly come up & 90% of them are some "Joe Schmo" columnist making up sh*t & claiming that "A person close to LeBron says..."

What the hell does that mean? I know what it means, it means either: A) we're calling LeBron's doorman or limo driver "a person close" & a casual, hypothetical conversation "vital information"...or B) it's too easy to make this sh*t up and say that a "confidential source" gave you the information.

Give it a rest. Tell David Stern LeBron will end up playing in Europe when his contract is up. Yea...that would go over like a fart in church. The NBA could probably give 2 sh*ts about Josh Childress and they would never allow one of their poster-children to high tail out of the country.

The Knicks would also outbid any other professional team in the World for the rights to Lebron...they certainly have more money than any team in European Pro Basketball.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Haha, I feel bad for Cleveland.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What I dont understand is, if Lebron wants to leave to win a championship why would he leave for the Knicks or Nets who will have a worse supporting cast then Cleveland?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What I dont understand is, if Lebron wants to leave to win a championship why would he leave for the Knicks or Nets who will have a worse supporting cast then Cleveland?
B/c money talks.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
50 mill a year, tax free? European teams pay for your living expenses and taxes...

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
No way he would refuse that...

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What makes u so sure about that?
Jay-z connection. Jay-z is like lebrons big brother. Plus brooklyn is his favorite place. And with the nets most likely moving to brooklyn. Come on now

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Nets/Knicks wont give him any more than Cleveland. Cleveland will give him the max.
You mean to tell me that theres more money in Cleveland as opposed to New York or New Jersey!?! Wake up Hova...ur talking big market vs small market here.

And no LeBron wouldn't leave the NBA for Europe, I don't care how many Euro's you give him. He's going to make "F%CK YOU" money in the NBA for the rest of his career regardless of where he ends. LeBron didn't grow up dreaming of winning a freaking championship in any other place than the NBA.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You mean to tell me that theres more money in Cleveland as opposed to New York or New Jersey!?! Wake up Hova...ur talking big market vs small market here.
You think NY or NJ can give him more than Cleveland will? They cant, you cant offer more than a Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%