Blount's NCAA days over

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Associated Press said:
EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - A day after Oregon's college football season opened, it ended for running back LeGarrette Blount.

Blount was suspended for all remaining games on Friday for punching Boise State defensive end Byron Hout in the jaw following the 16th-ranked Ducks' 19-8 loss to the 14th-ranked Broncos the night before.

Because he is a senior, Blount's playing days in Eugene are over.

Oregon's first-year coach, Chip Kelly, told a sobbing Blount about his decision after reviewing tape of the altercation.

Celebrating the victory on the Broncos' trademark blue turf, Hout yelled in Blount's face and tapped him on the shoulder pad. Before Boise State coach Chris Petersen could pull Hout away, Blount landed a right to Hout's jaw, knocking him to his knees.

Blount also had to be restrained by police from fans heckling him on the way to the locker room.

Later he apologized saying, "It was just something that I shouldn't have done. I lost my head."

Still, Kelly was taken aback when he saw the punch on tape.

"That's not what we're all about. That's not what we coach. That's not what we stand for and it's unacceptable," he said.

Blount's suspension includes bowl games. He will remain on scholarship, however, and will continue to practice with the team.

"He is taking this very hard," Kelly said, choking up. "He understands he made a mistake and he has to pay for the mistake. But we're not going to throw LeGarrette Blount out on the street."

Kelly said he hoped Blount's ultimate legacy "won't be a YouTube clip of what happened to him on September 3rd in Boise, Idaho."

Hout won't be suspended for taunting Blount. Boise State spokesman Max Corbet told The Associated Press in an e-mail that Petersen planned to spend time with Hout this week to help him learn from what happened.

Mike Bellotti, who stepped aside as head coach to become Oregon's athletic director this summer, said the Pac-10 was consulted about the punishment and supported Oregon's decision.

Bellotti was with Kelly when the Blount was told of the suspension and described the running back's reaction as dismay.

"It was a very difficult decision and one I don't think he was expecting, but he was aware there was a certain amount of gravity to the situation," Bellotti said.

Oregon president Richard Lariviere called Blount's behavior "reprehensible."

"We do not and will not tolerate the actions that were taken by our player. Oregon's loyal fans expect and deserve better," Lariviere said in a statement.
Okay..lemme hear all this crap about how the rest of the season is way "too harsh" of a penalty.

People talk sh*t all over the gridiron. But just b/c they do doesn't give anybody the right to start punching mo-fo's out. I am sure Blount was talking plenty of trash all game long himself.

SaintFan25

#JK25
Reaction score
Okay..lemme hear all this crap about how the rest of the season is way "too harsh" of a penalty.

People talk sh*t all over the gridiron. But just b/c they do doesn't give anybody the right to start punching mo-fo's out. I am sure Blount was talking plenty of trash all game long himself.
Yeah, he totally was talking trash while he rushed for -5 yards :rolleyes:

We all know he was before the game but why the hell would he be trash talking during a game where he didn't do <Censored>?

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Got what he deserved. Sucks he ruined his future in like 3 minutes.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To be honest, if he just punched the dude, it would of most likely been a shorter suspension, IMO. But not only did he punch the guy, but then he got into it with the fans. That shows that it wasn't just a quick moment of bad behavior, but it went on for the whole post game.

I personally think the suspension is spot on.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I think the suspension is fitting for what he did. Although, I think the boise player should get some punishment for provoking him. He went out of his way to nudge Blount and say something to him that obviously Blount didn`t like. Boises coach Peterson said he planned on taking care of that. I`m not saying Blount was in the right, because he wasn`t. Sucker punching a guy because he said something you didn`t like? Definately not the way to go about things, and than go after the fans? Comon, control yourself better than that.

Also, I`m pretty sure Blount only said those things after the game so he could have remorse and get out of some trouble because he knew he was going to get suspended or at least some form of punishment, he just wanted people to believe he wouldn`t "do it again." You can tell it really hurts the coach to do that to him because he is keeping him and letting him practice so he can stay in shape and be ready for the NFL next year. That is, if he gets drafted now. Definately wont be as early as he was projected.

rivers17ncsu

Reaction score
He is lucky Oregon did not kick him completely out of school and he is still able to practice with the team, practicing with them may keep him in condition to be a late round draft pick or a undrafted free agent.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
To be honest, if he just punched the dude, it would of most likely been a shorter suspension, IMO. But not only did he punch the guy, but then he got into it with the fans. That shows that it wasn't just a quick moment of bad behavior, but it went on for the whole post game.

I personally think the suspension is spot on.
+1, this was deff deserved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%