'Good possibility' LSU, Miles part ways

47th oG

Reaction score
There is "a very good possibility" that LSU will buy out Les Miles' contract, a high-ranking source involved in the decision regarding the coach's future told ESPN on Monday.

"In Louisiana, we expect national championships, and we're not in it," the source told ESPN, adding that meetings happening on Monday could lead to a quick resolution.

The Tigers' 30-16 loss to Alabama on Nov. 7 and what is believed to be an underachieving, vanilla offense are major factors that could lead to Miles' departure, according to the source.

Miles said Monday afternoon that he's "going to go on to work" and confirmed that he'll meet with his players later in the day.

"The information that I have is, do your job as you would do it," Miles said. "And that is something that I took when I took this job 11 years ago. Someone's asked me about coaching for my job, and I think I've done that for 11 years. ...

"I guess what I'm telling you is that you can have a flat tire for a while. But here at LSU ... this is an elite program. We expect to regroup and get going fast. That's really where we're at."
http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14204487/good-possibility-lsu-tigers-buy-les-miles-contract-source

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
I know they're frustrated with another year outside the SEC Championship but damn.....wasn't long ago and they gave Les a hefty raise to keep Michigan away. They have to be extremely confident they can lure Jimbo away from Tallahassee if they're going to pay $15-20M to buy out Miles right now. And for those who don't think Jimbo will leave FSU for LSU, guess again. Lots of money, better facilities, and a recruiting hotbed.

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Jimbo Fisher would leave FSU in a heartbeat for LSU. No doubt

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Les Miles is more likely to retire than take another job. There are rumors going around that he may have some health issues

Stray32

Reaction score
I've seen multiple tweets from Mizzou people that are variations of "back up the Brinks truck to Les Miles house and dump all the money on his doorstep. All of it."

I'd love to see Miles here, we need a known coach or Mizzou recruiting is gonna struggle for a while

jjangness

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
I've seen multiple tweets from Mizzou people that are variations of "back up the Brinks truck to Les Miles house and dump all the money on his doorstep. All of it."

I'd love to see Miles here, we need a known coach or Mizzou recruiting is gonna struggle for a while
I would love to see Les Miles at Columbia, MO. Mizzou football team wouldn't have to take a step back after losing Pinkel who was amazing with the team for years. Miles could make SEC east so much better.

47th oG

Reaction score
An announcement on LSU coach Les Miles' future with the program will "most likely" come sometime after the Tigers' final regular-season game Saturday, a source said Tuesday.

LSU's decision-makers are focused on analyzing not just the potential separation with Miles, but also who they might be able to hire. One name that has been discussed as a possible replacement is Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher, a former LSU assistant.

On Monday, a high-ranking source involved in the decision regarding the coach's future told ESPN there is "a very good possibility" that LSU will buy out Miles' contract.

The Tigers (7-3), who host Texas A&M on Saturday, have stumbled mightily after a 7-0 start put them in position to contend for a national championship.

Miles is under contract through 2019 with a 2015 buyout figure of $15 million. His buyout would decrease to $12.9 million if he was fired after Jan. 1.

Boosters have already agreed to pay the $15 million to $20 million needed to buy out Miles and his staff, a source told ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/1...coach-les-miles-saturday-game-vs-texas-aggies

Bugsy

Reaction score
Completely subjective but that doesn't automatically make it a better job. Vanderbilt is in the SEC too. The SEC is vastly overrated. FSU is in Florida, a hot bed of recruiting alone, but it's also right in SEC country. He managed to nab Winston over any SEC school. FSU also has a deep tradition. Unless he's greedy, his pay at FSU is more than enough. I'm also willing to bet they have top notch facilities. FSU and LSU are in the same tier to me. Not to imply he won't see it differently or won't leave for LSU.

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Bugsy said:
Completely subjective but that doesn't automatically make it a better job. Vanderbilt is in the SEC too. The SEC is vastly overrated. FSU is in Florida, a hot bed of recruiting alone, but it's also right in SEC country. He managed to nab Winston over any SEC school. FSU also has a deep tradition. Unless he's greedy, his pay at FSU is more than enough. I'm also willing to bet they have top notch facilities. FSU and LSU are in the same tier to me. Not to imply he won't see it differently or won't leave for LSU.
The SEC is the Tom Brady of College Football and much like Tom Brady, either you're a fan or you hate his guys. Nothing about the SEC is overrated. The Southeast produces the best youth athletes in the country, most attending SEC colleges, and then they completely dominate the NFL draft. Jimbo will always have to compete with the state of Alabama when it comes to recruiting but he doesn't have any legit in-state rival schools to butt heads with at LSU. There's literally pockets of Louisiana with high schools nobody has heard of and their top athletes are LSU's for the taking.

And for the record, Jameis Winston would've committed to Auburn but the Tigers stopped recruiting him after a pair of their assistants and one booster were popped for making unauthorized visits on more than one occasion. Alabama also made a big push to sign him but Saban wouldn't commit to letting Jameis play baseball.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Nothing overrated about the SEC? Lmao. It's a conference full of mediocre and average teams that the likes of ESPN blow up as great teams. They had like 9 preseason ranked teams and most are no longer ranked. I wonder why. You do realise even at LSU, regardless of in state competition, he'll be facing stiff recruiting competition from SEC, ACC and Big 12 schools. (Even the likes of the Big Ten but I was going by proximity). How many players being drafted is irrelevant to my point as well. But if you want to bring it up. Jamarcus Russell played in the SEC too.

And for the record, Winston committed to Florida State. Your what it isn't relevant. Ben Simmons would have gone to Duke had LSU not employed his godfather. Kobe would've gone to Duke, Lebron, etc. All these what ifs irrelevant to my point.

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Bugsy said:
Nothing overrated about the SEC? Lmao. It's a conference full of mediocre and average teams that the likes of ESPN blow up as great teams. They had like 9 preseason ranked teams and most are no longer ranked. I wonder why. You do realise even at LSU, regardless of in state competition, he'll be facing stiff recruiting competition from SEC, ACC and Big 12 schools. (Even the likes of the Big Ten but I was going by proximity). How many players being drafted is irrelevant to my point as well. But if you want to bring it up. Jamarcus Russell played in the SEC too.

And for the record, Winston committed to Florida State. Your what it isn't relevant. Ben Simmons would have gone to Duke had LSU not employed his godfather. Kobe would've gone to Duke, Lebron, etc. All these what ifs irrelevant to my point.
Spoken like a true SEC hater. I'm guessing you're a Notre Dame fan. So much mediocre talent the SEC completely dominated the BCS era and is poised to lock up the top seed in the CFP for two straight seasons. And God forbid the SEC doesn't own the top 10 each week for the first time in countless weeks.... Yep, must be a conference full over mediocre and average teams.

GO Irish!

BRAAP!

Reaction score
LSU is able to pull recruits from the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country and has the benefit of being the flagship program in a loaded state. Florida State, no matter how good they are, will always have to compete with Florida and Miami for the top talent in the state. Then there is the SEC factor.

Also, bringing up basketball in your argument just proves how weak the ACC is at football.

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with the comments made, but the point that the SEC is overrated is definitely true.

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
If the SEC is overrated then so is Lebron, Brady, and Real Madrid. Just bc you dont like the SEC, doesnt mean its an overrated conference.

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Les Miles has informed boosters that Saturday will be his last game as the HC of LSU

Bugsy

Reaction score
Flint said:
If the SEC is overrated then so is Lebron, Brady, and Real Madrid. Just bc you dont like the SEC, doesnt mean its an overrated conference.
Lmfao. Fallacy much? Your logic makes no sense at all.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Flint said:
Spoken like a true SEC hater. I'm guessing you're a Notre Dame fan. So much mediocre talent the SEC completely dominated the BCS era and is poised to lock up the top seed in the CFP for two straight seasons. And God forbid the SEC doesn't own the top 10 each week for the first time in countless weeks.... Yep, must be a conference full over mediocre and average teams.

GO Irish!
Rotflmfao. You spew rhetoric and fallacies. You made the assertion I'm a ND fan. Where is your evidence? You made the assertion I'm an SEC hater. Where is your evidence? Do you always make fallacies and pull assumptions out of no where when you have no logical argument to provide? You say the SEC has dominated. Really? Vanderbilt? South Carolina? Ole miss? When did Mississippi state win the title? Tennessee? Kentucky?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%