Official Soccer Thread

RunSoHard

Reaction score
Puerto Rico really isn't top quality competition either. Just look at that horrible pitch they played on. COPA America qualifying starts here soon. I have tickets to see them play Paraquay in Philly but I have to wait and see if I have that day off from my new job. I have a 90 day probation period where I can't miss anydays so if I'm scheduled I'll sell them.

tbuc

Reaction score
Quick recap of the U.S. match from last Sunday before we get ready for tonight...

Like @runsohard said in the above post, Puerto Rico is by no means a powerhouse, so if anyone was going to stand out to Klinsi, they would've had to of put on a big time display. I though both our forwards had an excellent match. Wood has been red hot for both club and country this season and will likely start for the U.S. during the Copa America tournament along side Dempsey in the attack (assuming we play with two forwards). Paul Arriola had a goal of his own and got the assist on the Bobby Wood goal. He was superb in his senior team debut. Rating the defense is a bit tough seeing how Puetro Rico offered nothing in the attack. Brooks, Orozco, and Miagza all played fairly well. Not much else we can say there. Yedlin did well on the right as well. He got forward and helped the U.S. in the attack all match, and never really got caught out of position. Ream scored the opener and never really looked out of place. I'd like to see how he fairs against a quicker, tougher opponent when he may be a little more hesitant pushing forward. Seeing how he copes with that would be interesting. Lichaj came on in the second half and did an excellent job creating chances from his defense position. He made one beautiful run which, unfortunately came to nothing. I've been a fan of his and glad he got a chance to show what he can do. I though the all the midfielders where just ok. Emerson Hyndman impressed me the most to be honest. He came on in the second half and looked very active. He dropped deeper in the midfield calling for the ball and tried to get things going for the U.S. in the attack. We really struggled to break down their defense in the second half, so seeing Hyndman look to take control was very impressive.

On to tonight, the U.S. play Ecuador at 8 on ESPN2. I got it set on the DVR and hope to watch before bed tonight. Geoff Cameron has been ruled out with an injury. We should see a Brooks and Besler pairing in the middle now. To their left we could see Orozco or Acosta. I highly doubt Acosta would start. On the right its hard to see Yedlin not get picked at this point. After Kitchen and Williams failed to impress last Sunday odds are we see Bradley and Jones paired up in the middle. Up front it has to be Wood and Demspey teaming up in the attack. Out wide will be the toughest to predict. Fabian Johnson entered camp a little beat up, so resting him may be the starter option. The safest pick would be Zardes on the left flank, but who on the right? Zusi, Bedoya, Nagbe, and Pulisic are all options. Bedoya started on Sunday and picked up a knock. I doubt he starts. Nagbe usually plays in a more central role, I bet he comes on as a second half sub. Could we see the 17-year old Pulisic made his first start?!

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Hala Madrid! Real Madrid wins the champions league, a grind of a game but at least they got the job done. Casemiro played an extremely critical part especially against Saul.

RunSoHard

Reaction score
USA but 4-0 on Bolivia in their final tune-up game before COPA America. Christian Pulisic also became the youngest American to score. Kid's only 17 years old..

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Bolivia is terrible that dont mean shit lol

But good for them

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://streamable.com/i81l

This bodes well for the cup

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's not as simple without Manuel Neuer

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Copa America starts today with USA vs Colombia at 930ET

Should be a good game

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Fuck yea, lets go Colombia!

Up 1-0 nice

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
2-0 baby! Thats how its fucking done!

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Gonna go catch the COPA game Jamaica vs Venezuela this afternoon. I'm excited, been probably 15 years since I went to a live soccer game

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
USA is facing Costa Rica in Chicago as well, why dont you go to that one instead? 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Im watching right now, dont like the City kits in this one. Looks like something Barcelona would wear actually

BrandonNBA

Reaction score
Watching the Barca-Man City Game.

What an ugly one it's been. Bravo sent off after some of the worst keeping I've seen in awhile, he was completely unaware of where he was I guess. I don't even know.

The 3rd Barca goal was such a poor pass by the Man City defense. Easy goal for Messi

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Going to this Toronto FC vs New York City FC playoff game tonight. Got free tickets. Never been to a professional soccer game

BrandonNBA

Reaction score
Rios said:
Going to this Toronto FC vs New York City FC playoff game tonight. Got free tickets. Never been to a professional soccer game
Sounds fun. 

I don't follow MLS much, but a playoff game would be good. I've been to some of the International Champions League games in the US. This summer I went to PSG vs Real Madrid in Colombus, and summer of 2015 I went to PSG vs Chelsea in Charlotte. 

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah that was one of the coolest atmospheres I've ever got to experience. The fans were something else.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The MLS is doing a great job gaining exposure by scheduling their playoff games during the busiest sports month of the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%