2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AE. said:
I believe the Dodgers will drive up the price on JD. BoSox might as well splurge on Stanton.
doubt it

I could see puig being traded though

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
idek what the plan is. Dave says he doesn't care about the luxury tax, but I find that hard to believe with John Henry

Dave was pretty quick to tell the media “No” when asked if the luxury tax threshold was a consideration. Again, I don’t think Henry brings in Dombrowski without knowing and agreeing to spend.

catman said:
Bruce will likely settle for 3 or 4 years.  JD Martinez is a better fit in the AL than in the NL, as he is not a really good defender.  In the AL, he could get $200K as he could be a 4th OF/DH and get 600 plate appearances annually.
True but he stands to make more playing OF. I foresee most AL teams reluctant to give him Scott Boras money to play DH. Also, the DH position is starting to change. The younger managers aren’t necessarily using their big hitter/poor defender to DH anymore. They’re looking at matchups and using the spot to put in a guy who brings more of a certain variable to a particular game. Whether it be more righty/lefty, more speed, or maybe even giving a guy the ABs with a better career record vs the opposing SP.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There’s a rumor the Cubs & Giants ate quietly discussing potential deal that would send Jason Heyward to the Bay for Samardija and Melancon. Very interesting.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Otani's team announced that hes going to be posted

Cant wait to see where he'll go. Hopefully not to the cubs or astros or dbacks lol

And i hope he succeeds. Would love to see a two way player and would love for him to sort of bring it back. I know a few top picks this year were two way guys too

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Otani's team announced that hes going to be posted
Cant wait to see where he'll go. Hopefully not to the cubs or astros or dbacks lol
And i hope he succeeds. Would love to see a two way player and would love for him to sort of bring it back. I know a few top picks this year were two way guys too
We aren’t going to see him play 2-ways. Same with the few top draft picks from this past year. Hunter Greene finished low-A ball playing the infield but has concentrated on pitching since AFL began. McKay from Louisville has also concentrated on playing 1B.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If he's not going to two-way, i gotta believe he's going to a NL team where he's guaranteed at bats
He gets to start every 5 days and can pinch hit

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
If he's not going to two-way, i gotta believe he's going to a NL team where he's guaranteed at bats
He gets to start every 5 days and can pinch hit
Like everyone else, he’ll go where the money is. I never entertained this “pitcher wants to bat” notion that has going on since Sabathia was a blockbuster Free Agent.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sabathia was given an offer he couldn't refuse after the giants and Dodgers were dragging their feet...well that and McCourt was broke

But ohtani is a little different to me because he is a good hitter and still young. Hitting isn't a hobby like it was for CC

Also money clearly isn't his main motivation since I think the most a team can offer is 3M. If he waits I think 2 years he could get 200mil
He just wants to be in the states asap

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Sabathia was given an offer he couldn't refuse after the giants and Dodgers were dragging their feet...well that and McCourt was broke
But ohtani is a little different to me because he is a good hitter and still young. Hitting isn't a hobby like it was for CC
Also money clearly isn't his main motivation since I think the most a team can offer is 3M. If he waits I think 2 years he could get 200mil
He just wants to be in the states asap
The Yanks were poised to throw a blank check at CC and everyone knew it. Still didn’t stop some Yahoos from claiming CC would take less to play in the NL and on the West Coast.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score

On Friday, we learned that the Marlins have had preliminary talks about outfielder Giancarlo Stanton with four MLB teams. As more rumors involving the prolific slugger swirl about today, we’ll keep track of them here.

• Talks between the Marlins and Red Sox involving Stanton “may be heating up”, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald. His source tells him that the Red Sox are “definitely in play”. Spencer also mentions that Stanton’s incredible power would play well at Fenway Park, adding that Boston hit the fewest home runs of any MLB team in 2017. The Red Sox certainly seem like a reasonable fit for many other reasons as well, and Spencer lists a small handful in his piece. They’ve been said to be interested in spending more money, even to the point of exceeding the luxury tax, while it has been said that Stanton prefers to play near a coast. President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski is no stranger to making deals with the Marlins, having helped engineer a blockbuster trade to bring Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers back in 2007.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/giancarlo-stanton-rumors-saturday.html

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Giants are reportedly interested in acquiring Jackie Bradley Jr’s services

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
I don't know whether it's better to part with Benintendi or Bradley Jr.  They're both similar, but Benintendi I think has more offensive upside and is younger.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I don't know whether it's better to part with Benintendi or Bradley Jr.  They're both similar, but Benintendi I think has more offensive upside and is younger.
I feel like Red Sox fans don’t really realize the offensive potential Benintendi has. It’s absurd to entertain trading him over Jackie Bradley.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
I feel like Red Sox fans don’t really realize the offensive potential Benintendi has. It’s absurd to entertain trading him over Jackie Bradley.
Looking at the stats, I think you're right (on my second thought).

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AE. said:
they have no farm

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
they have no farm
Red Sox would want pitching in return. I’m guessing bullpen help. Can see it going down if the Sox bring I another OF via FA or trade

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Only way it happens is if Martinez or Stanton come here and Benintendi shifts to the centre.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AE. said:
Red Sox would want pitching in return. Im guessing bullpen help. Can see it going down if the Sox bring I another OF via FA or trade
you take a look at the giants staff and pen? lol

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
aa got hired by the braves as gm. Good for him. Hope he doesn't trade his good prospects for overpaid vets

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Idk what AA did for the Dodgers but he was still VP of baseball ops. Thats right behind Friedman

Good for him. Hate to see our FO plucked but he deserves another shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%