Official College Gameday Thread

CoachAF

Reaction score
AE. said:
And now I’m annoyed at all of UCF’s petty “National Champions” bullshit. Thought they were trolling...but no, these jokers are seriously putting up banners and having a parade.

I love the irony of Kirby Hocutt, saying that UCF's scheduling wasn't up to par with the Power 5. This is coming from an AD of a conference (Big 12) that refuses to let in teams like UCF and Houston. So they hold them down by not including them and then shut them out when it comes time to evaluate their ranking. 

I don't think UCF deserved to be in the final 4, but I do feel like they might have a case for being a part of a larger conference like a Big 12 or ACC....

UT and A&M have held down Houston ever since the dissolving of the SWC, because they want that Houston recruiting hotbed to be titled more in their direction. So I completely understand UCF's frustration here, BUT there is a difference. Houston scheduled Louisville and Oklahoma last year in their big run at the CFP. UCF scheduled Maryland.....If they want to be taken seriously, then they need to step up their scheduling. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hate when the committee uses the scheduling argument. Teams put their schedules together years ahead of time, with no real idea of how good their team is going to be or how good the other team is going to be. Unless the scheduling process changes it's basically a crapshoot.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Teagz said:
I hate when the committee uses the scheduling argument. Teams put their schedules together years ahead of time, with no real idea of how good their team is going to be or how good the other team is going to be. Unless the scheduling process changes it's basically a crapshoot.

Georgia Tech, Maine, Maryland, and FIU ain't gonna prove any points. They knew that "years ahead of time" when they scheduled them. If you want to play with the big boys, you kinda need to be on the same field prior to December. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They probably didn't expect to be this good when they were scheduling. They went from 0-12 to undefeated in a remarkably short time, I don't really blame them for not scheduling powerhouses in what they thought would be a rebuilding year. It wouldn't be realistic or fair to expect every team to have a loaded out-of-conference schedule.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coach said:

I love the irony of Kirby Hocutt, saying that UCF's scheduling wasn't up to par with the Power 5. This is coming from an AD of a conference (Big 12) that refuses to let in teams like UCF and Houston. So they hold them down by not including them and then shut them out when it comes time to evaluate their ranking. 

I don't think UCF deserved to be in the final 4, but I do feel like they might have a case for being a part of a larger conference like a Big 12 or ACC....

UT and A&M have held down Houston ever since the dissolving of the SWC, because they want that Houston recruiting hotbed to be titled more in their direction. So I completely understand UCF's frustration here, BUT there is a difference. Houston scheduled Louisville and Oklahoma last year in their big run at the CFP. UCF scheduled Maryland.....If they want to be taken seriously, then they need to step up their scheduling. 

You're on point with the Big 12's reluctance to expand, but you sort of contradicted yourself with the UCF statements.

Like you said, UCF needs to make a point to schedule bigger schools if they want to be taken serious. Scheduling ACC bottom-feeders doesn't help their case at all. Their ridiculous fans are claiming the SEC schools refuse to play them, but that's not true at all. Their toughest non-conference opponent next season is North Carolina.

Houston absolutely deserves a Big 12 promotion. The location makes sense and as you said, they make an effort to schedule legit out of conference games. The Cougars play Arizona and Texas Tech next year, Oklahoma and Wazzu in 2019, and Wazzu again in 2020. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
They probably didn't expect to be this good when they were scheduling. They went from 0-12 to undefeated in a remarkably short time, I don't really blame them for not scheduling powerhouses in what they thought would be a rebuilding year. It wouldn't be realistic or fair to expect every team to have a loaded out-of-conference schedule.

You can't schedule powder puffs in an effort to ease your competition and then complain later that powder puff schedule shouldn't matter. UCF beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl in 2014 and immediately started talking bigger and better things. I know this because I lived in Orlando at the time. Who UCF is playing now was scheduled/planned back then. 

Danny White knows what he's doing as their AD. He'll keep their schedule winnable and use that record to get himself a Power 5 job in the near future. UCF is and will always be a stepping stone program. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pat Fitzgerald's pristine posture on the coaches film room is intimidating 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
7 straight throws by Georgia. Seems logical

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LSU hired their DL coach to be the HC then promoted the TE coach to be the OC.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Backup qb for Bama is a stud apparently

Who knew

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I knew he was missing when Harris came up and hugged him. He looked like he had no confidence.

BNC

Reaction score
Fromm has gotta get rid of that, otherwise Pappa whatever is gonna have a decent chance a redemption

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What a terrible 12 months to be a sports fan in Georgia

BNC

Reaction score
Has it ever been a good time to be a georgia sports fan? with the exception of 1995

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
Teagz said:
What a terrible 12 months to be a sports fan in Georgia
If they beat the Eagles they could end up losing to the Saints in the NFC Championship.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lots of good young running backs out there these days.

Najee Harris and Cam Akers are gonna be fucking monsters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%